BROKE MY FRAME!!!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/15/2018 8:24 AM

I broke my frame just doing disasters and 360 on a bowl, reeeeally bad luck or lack of good material? I just can't understand. I bought my bike January last year, a "colony premise 2016"(frame full cromo), started riding bmx seriously when i got this bike. I learned a lot, mostly simple things and bike control, manual,airing out, 360's out of bowl, disasters etc... The guys who ride on that bowl were surprised by the big crack since i am a totally beginner, i do lot of disasters yes, but the price i paid on that bike is surprising for me how easily the frame broke sad . I'm from Brazil and here is sooo expensive and hard bmxing, a friend who ride for 20+ years helped me and i'm sending my frame to Sao Paulo to weld it (try to weld). Anyway, this really discourages me, i'am pushing so hard on bmx, broke my feet, hurt myself, flat tires all the time and now this, i don't see this kind of "headache" by bmxers around the world on internet, just want to know about you guys, shit happens all the time with you? The worst is i can't quit no matter what happens, because i am totally addicted and love so much this sport man...Photo

|

1/15/2018 8:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2018 8:38 AM

If there was no impact, that seems extreme. It looks like it cracked along the weld. Before you try to have it welded, I'd give Colony a call & see if they'll do anything for you. According to what I read briefly, they only offer a 6 month warranty on that frame (which I think is stupid) but maybe they would cover it or discount a replacement frame for you.

|

1/15/2018 8:49 AM

damn i thought colony were good.
well i still think they are good but maybe not the completes, and yes this was very unlucky, it sucks man i hope you can get it fixed and keep riding if you cant then try and buy a used aftermarket frame

|

Hmmm

1/15/2018 8:52 AM

Looks like it could have been a defective weld, that's a pretty clean snap right along the weld. You are right though, typically you would expect more from a Chromoly frame.

Contact Colony, and explain to them what you just told us, I'm sure they will try to help you in some way. Do so before welding it, as they could use that as a reason to not warranty it in any way.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/15/2018 9:01 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Looks like it could have been a defective weld, that's a pretty clean snap right along the weld. You are right though, ...more

& I don;t know that I would use the word "disaster" when telling them what you were doing.

|

1/15/2018 9:03 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Looks like it could have been a defective weld, that's a pretty clean snap right along the weld. You are right though, ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

& I don;t know that I would use the word "disaster" when telling them what you were doing.

That too. I've seen so many frames break on disasters. That trick is a rough one, even though it's easy.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/15/2018 9:11 AM

Thanks guys, it is really strange indeed. The problem is that since i live in Brazil i bought my bike on a shop really far, by a famous brazilian site like "ebay" or "amazon" called: "Mercado Livre". And i can't find the papers of the bike, it was an unknown store, maybe a person itself since there are few bmx stores here. There is already one year since i bought, so my friends that told me the same also said nothing will do contacting colony,even more that I bought from a person on a website. I will travel to visit my parents on wednesday and stay there couple weeks, so i'm trying to pack my frame and send it tomorrow to weld. At least there is this post about COLONY PREMISE 2016 so people be advised about this bike.

|

1/15/2018 9:13 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Looks like it could have been a defective weld, that's a pretty clean snap right along the weld. You are right though, ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

& I don;t know that I would use the word "disaster" when telling them what you were doing.

hahaha yess, it's a demanding trick for the frame, but breaking with a year?

|

1/15/2018 9:22 AM

Danx777 wrote:

hahaha yess, it's a demanding trick for the frame, but breaking with a year?

Yes, the stress from that trick could very easily break that frame in a year. It's a beginner quality bike after all.

Just because it's Chromoly doesn't mean that it's the same grade of Chromoly or welded to the same precision as aftermarket frames. It's cheaper for a reason.

And I will repeat, do NOT weld that frame until you've talked to Colony. BMX is a small industry run by BMX riders. Often times, companies will go out of their way to help a fellow BMX rider in need.

And I don't think it's necessary to warn people about this bike. The price tag does that for itself. A year of bike riding on a low quality complete is a long time, especially since you claim you learned a lot of tricks on it and were doing disasters.

Since you're new and learning, you land a lot harder on tricks than someone who's experienced and rides smoothly. Disasters are also the single most damaging lip trick for a frame.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/15/2018 9:23 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Looks like it could have been a defective weld, that's a pretty clean snap right along the weld. You are right though, ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

& I don;t know that I would use the word "disaster" when telling them what you were doing.

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

That too. I've seen so many frames break on disasters. That trick is a rough one, even though it's easy.

dumbest trick you can do on a bike
risking frame snap, fork, bar slip, wheel shifting etc and for what? lol

|

1/15/2018 9:26 AM

tiho wrote:

dumbest trick you can do on a bike
risking frame snap, fork, bar slip, wheel shifting etc and for what? lol

It's a disaster of a trick.

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/15/2018 9:45 AM

Thanks for the help! You guys are right,i'm going to send an email to colony, and i will not weld till i get the answer. I did disasters because it's an easy trick and cuz i didn't have other lines to do and no one to really ride with. I suppose it's a beginner bike, but here it is really expensive: R$2600,00/ 812 dollars what i paid. I'll not do many disasters from now on hahaha and care more about the tricks and conditions of the bike.

|

1/15/2018 9:49 AM

Danx777 wrote:

Thanks for the help! You guys are right,i'm going to send an email to colony, and i will not weld till i get the answer. I did ...more

Good deal! If Colony cant help you out, I'd just say just buy an aftermarket frame... that would be your best option if you can afford it...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/15/2018 9:55 AM

Danx777 wrote:

Thanks for the help! You guys are right,i'm going to send an email to colony, and i will not weld till i get the answer. I did ...more

Also focus on learning how to ride smoothly. Focus on your style and form, not your tricks. This is the #1 thing to do to make your bike last longer. It will also make learning tricks easier or less stressful. smile

|




Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx


1/15/2018 10:01 AM

My colony forks have lifetime and have been in service since 2001.

|

1/15/2018 10:05 AM

I’ve seen disasters break allot of people’s frames and forks , you gotta be light on that trick , allot of people slam down hard doing it and it breaks their bikes

|

1/15/2018 10:53 AM

Guys, and update: i contacted the store i bought (yes i found out on the history of purchases) and it is a big store here haha, so i talked with the seller and he said that it was not supposed to break that way, i'm 1,73 high and only 63kg, he will contact with the providers of the shop and even if it ends up with nothing this REALLY cool guy will do something for me, sending me a new frame with the same cost of the old one, even though i did a lot of disasters i'm a light weight guy, and i never slamed the bike on the coping, every time really smooth disasters, not forcing anything.

|

1/16/2018 2:53 AM

Definitely defective or you put it through shit and just didn’t tell us . I’ve seen people sponsored by Colony shred , and I’ve seen their bikes . Not normal for them to break . They make good stuff.

Keep in mind learning tricks while kill your bike especially if it isn’t custom parts .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

1/16/2018 4:12 AM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

Definitely defective or you put it through shit and just didn’t tell us . I’ve seen people sponsored by Colony shred , and I’ ...more

Yes, i agree, but i'm sincere, i did a lot of disasters but nothing like you think, i am a really light weight guy and a beginner, i don't know a lot of tricks and don't ride my bike all the time,every time i did there is no way i put over stress on the bike, i'd say the opposite. Even the shop seller who is also a rider said it was pure bad luck of mine, that this bike shouldn't break with those kind of riding and the time of riding.

|

1/16/2018 8:50 PM

I would be suprised if colony didnt send you a new frame for free.

|

1/17/2018 1:05 PM

Just buy a new frame or reweld that one

|

It’s all bmx

1/17/2018 1:53 PM

Yep, Shitty weld. A proper weld would have held up to that. If they were proper, they would never have broken unless they were impacted directly. No doubt it's a shitty weld because of how clean the snap is. I know disasters are known for breaking frames, but this shit is 4130, unless you have shitty welds it should hold. If the warranty is void, then you have two options:
1. Rewelding (you have to actually have a strong enough welder to weld chromoly)
2. Just buying a new frame
Colony is actually a pretty decent company. I can't say anything about their completes but they make pretty good parts. Understand that if a weld on a frame is defective, usually there's going to be other defective welds on that frame too, I have learned this the hard way on past completes and is the reason why I don't bother with completes anymore. Parts on a complete are not inspected individually like aftermarket parts are (unless the parts included are aftermarket parts) Considering the fact that completes have much more area to inspect, you have a higher likelihood that a part is going to be defective.
I would say cash in on the warranty but colony only offers a 6 month warranty.
I know this is going to hurt, but I'd just go with buying a new frame altogether. We can help you, what disciplines do you ride?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

1/17/2018 2:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 2:56 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Yep, Shitty weld. A proper weld would have held up to that. If they were proper, they would never have broken unless they were ...more

Any frame worth it's weight in bmx is TIG welded. A good TIG welder is capable of welding WAY thicker material than what a BMX frame tubing is. In fact, an inexperience welder could easily burn thru 4130 tubing.

As for parts on a complete, it isn't like a compete comes complete. Each part on a complete is made to specifications from the company. I guaranty, not even S&M inspects every stem. Most likely they did a random sampling of every 10th, 20th, 50th part. If the first part was good, and the 50th part is good, it's safe to say parts 2 thru 49 are also good. All parts can fail. How they are made makes a difference.

|

1/19/2018 6:36 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

Yep, Shitty weld. A proper weld would have held up to that. If they were proper, they would never have broken unless they were ...more

Thanks man, i ride park, now i'm waiting for the answer of the seller, he is really helping me a lot, now we wait for the provider. Anyway, the seller said he is trying and even if he ends up with nothing he will himself help me buy another frame on his shop, at cost price (production price, don't know if i said that right in english, sorry). If he gives me the choice of what frame to buy at low price i will search a lot and ask here on the forum about some help. Thanks a lot guys!

|