BSD 14 MM HUB

Related:
Create New Tag

2/13/2017 3:44 PM

Hello I'm going to buy a HUB but it does not put the size of spokes that the hub needs:
BSD Female 14mm Cassette Hub Black/Polished
|

2/13/2017 3:46 PM

Probably regular 14g spokes

|

2/13/2017 5:49 PM

We'd need to know the rim you want to use.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/13/2017 11:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2017 1:14 AM

I'm pretty sure you need some 184 (I got one of these hub laced to a colony rim)

Also spoke lenght doesn't vary much, generally you would need 184 for a cassette, 182 for a coaster or a mix of both if the hub flanges are not the same height.

And for front hubs, 186 for 99% of builds and sometimes 184.

|

2/14/2017 6:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2017 6:37 AM

Francky wrote:

I'm pretty sure you need some 184 (I got one of these hub laced to a colony rim)

Also spoke lenght doesn't vary much, ...more

If you don't know the rim, you're probably wrong. There's 10 mm of thread on a spoke, if the nipple covers less than 3/4s of the threads you'll start snapping nipples. If they're too long, you just won't get tension or you'll get punctures from the spokes sticking through too far.

186 works for the majority but it's better to be safe than sorry and actually calculate the correct lengths.

Don't just assume a length will work, those lengths might work with your setup but odds are they won't work with his.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/14/2017 3:16 PM

my best advice that I do /tell anyone when building my wheels or others, contact Empire and ask them. Building wheels with incorrect spokes lengths suck.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

2/14/2017 5:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/14/2017 5:44 PM

Francky wrote:

My front uses 188mm, so not always. It depends heavily on the rim (and how many crosses you do too)

|

2/15/2017 7:06 AM

Francky wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

My front uses 188mm, so not always. It depends heavily on the rim (and how many crosses you do too)

Yeah of course it can't be true for any setup and the only way to be sure is to calculate, or build the wheel...
I was considering things with a double wall rim with spoke holes disalined (which most of us ride) and laced with a 3 cross, you can add 2mm if the spokes are all inline, is your front rim like this ?
If yes, I will still think what I said is true for 99% builds, if not, good to know I was wrong.

|

2/15/2017 9:48 AM

Just found this, has more recent hubs and rims than any other spoke calculator I've come across. The hub/ rim combo OP was looking for should be in there.

https://wallerbmx.co.uk/bmx-spoke-calculator

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

2/15/2017 1:36 PM

Francky wrote:

Yeah of course it can't be true for any setup and the only way to be sure is to calculate, or build the wheel...
I was ...more

Mine's crosslaced. G-Sport Ribcage, the center of the rim dips down just a tiny bit. But it still varies a lot. My oldddd front wheel used 190mms so he definitely needs to hit up Empire or take it to a shop haha

|