BSD ALVX questions

Related:
Create New Tag

9/24/2015 2:35 PM

Thinking about buying the ALVX frame soon, have a few questions about the 12.5 chainstay length.

Will having such a short chainstay make my fakies twitchy compared to the 13.5 cs i ride now? I ride a coaster and most of my tricks involve long fakies.

I know its obviously not meant for it, but will it still ride ok for the occasional park/dirt session?

Any other negatives to having such a short backend?

|

9/24/2015 3:19 PM

if you know anyone with the frame ask to try it out. Otherwise I'd say youre good. Unless youre blasting a quarter 20 ft in the air it might feel a little twitchy but since it's an occasional thing I think youre fine

|

9/24/2015 5:26 PM

whats the geo on your current frame like?
i wouldnt quite go that extreme unless you already have or had a frame with a 11.7bb and 13 or lower chainstay. im sure the frame feels amazing for some people, i was on the verge of buying it but chose something a little more normal because i was afraid of buying it and hating it and losing money on a sale

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/24/2015 5:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2015 5:47 PM

Yeah that's what I'm kinda worried about, there's a good chance I'll really hate it because I'm pretty picky about my bikes geometry. Right now I have a Volume Bermuda with a 13.5 chainstay, 11.7 bb, 75° headtube etc. So it'd be a pretty big change... but that might be a good thing, I've always wanted to experiment with a shorter backend and steeper headtube

|

9/24/2015 6:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2015 6:22 PM

I think it's great if you're a tech guy. it's not as insane as you'd imagine, but it's a pleasant feeling for some. A kid at my skatepark i usually go to and I rode it. It's really easy to manual. It takes absolutely no effort. Spins are Meh. It;s not gonna MAKE you 540. I hate it for ramps really. I prefer a longer backend for it.

It's also nice for manny 180s. but be ready if you're already prone to looping out. It is sweet. I prefer how it is for nose manuals.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

9/24/2015 6:21 PM

foraben wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm kinda worried about, there's a good chance I'll really hate it because I'm pretty picky about my bikes ...more

id probably recommend either like a bsd wza or a few others, specs are in comparison with the bermuda
s&m whammo: .25 steeper headtube, bit shorter back end, bith higher bottom bracket
fed perrin: .2 steeper, .3 shorter back, .1 taller bb
fit sav: .5 steeper, .2 shorter, .1 taller bb

any 3 of those would be more twitchy, but not as twitch as the bsd alvx
i ended up going with a churchill because i found that a higher bottom bracket with a 13.5 cs is easy to get into manys but more stable, and the 75.3 headtube wasnt overly crazy twitchy

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

9/24/2015 10:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/24/2015 10:52 PM

A local @matthewjohnsonn rides one and I saw him 3 whip out of a small bank and did a huge switch 360 down a 3 set and then did a regular 3 tuck no handed down it . Frame lasted and he was doing biggest tricks at the park and also was doing trucks and all this wack shit . His insta has him doing a bar - manual - tooth - crank - 180 and he does the crank tooth 180 down huge rails .

I thought about getting one . It would be fun with the specs .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/4/2016 12:16 PM

did some body know how long it bottom brackets on bsd alvx frame like this https://gyazo.com/b120317b564f7ff0b1fa4c3f5c81beae

|

7/4/2016 12:44 PM

I'd be really scared of going that short on the chainstays. I briefly had a trailorpark and couldn't stand it. Even my hardway still feels a little sketchy to me with the cs at about 13.5", I'm still scared to go fast, especially with manuals.
You might get used to it and love it, but at the same time you might not. It'll be better for some things, worse for others.
Although, bar height makes a big difference with stability, so if it feels too sketchy, you could lower your bars until you find a happy medium

|

7/4/2016 1:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/4/2016 1:42 PM

I ride a 13.5" length as well and it just so happened that a buddy of mine got a ALVX, so I hopped on his bike...

Backwards manuals became easier to lock in.
Manuals became slightly harder to keep the balance point.
Bunnyhops were slightly weird, but you'll get used to it sooner or later.
Fake bunnyhops were easier.
I managed to pull off a tire tap on a quarter with his brakeless and freecoaster setup. It felt great when I locked in, probably because of the short end. If you run brakes or/and a cassette, I imagine tap tricks becoming easier.

There are just MY PERSONAL experiences with the ALVX.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

7/4/2016 2:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/15/2017 12:15 AM

Know it's a bump but I've ridden a few and if you manual you're using like 4x the energy of a 13.5 chainstay to keep locked in haha , also 180's flat are always overdone LOL

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

7/7/2016 9:09 AM

How much of a difference is the shorter rear when pulling up the bike? Right now I have about 13.25 or so chainstay and to get into the manual I have to push pretty hard with my legs. I was wondering if the 12.5 really makes a difference or if it is more or less negligible. I can't try one out. So thanks.

|

7/8/2016 1:27 PM

I tried a friends 21" ALVX last week. He had the rear at 12.5 too. Everything felt great. I'm currently on a 13.25 with 11.6 bb and the 180s snapped right around, nose mannys were easy to hold and manuals were so easy. Looped out a couple times but that only takes a couple days to find the sweet spot on.
I feel like your best bet though is definitely to find someone who owns one and borrow it for a bit to see how YOU not we like it cuz you, not us will be the one actually riding it and know your preferences best. Good luck!

|

7/17/2016 11:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2016 11:10 AM

Definitely right, Sean. Try it out.

On the topic, Cult has new 2 Short frame, which is just about the same, maybe identical,
except for 70 degree STA:

https://www.danscomp.com/products/211890/Cult_2_Short_Frame.html

|