BSD Substance cranks or Subrosa Bitchin cranks

Related:
Create New Tag

6/8/2015 1:08 PM

I'm looking into getting new cranks and I'm stuck between the BSD substance cranks or the Subrosa Bitchin cranks, if anyone has rode either of them could you tell me the pros and cons?

|

6/8/2015 1:23 PM

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/8/2015 1:26 PM

They're both rather decent from what I've seen. If you do a lot of crank arm grinds, etc i'd say the Bitchin' cranks are ideal. They will both hold up fine.

BUT, when you look at both of them next to Thunderbolt cranks, you will be blinded by the overwhelming fact that they are better in EVERY way. Ease of installation, look, and function of them for forever. Get Thunderbolts. You will not be disappointed. Once you go thunder, you don't go back. Nor will you have a need to. They won't break and they are under warranty.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

6/8/2015 2:41 PM

MaximusBikes wrote:

They're both rather decent from what I've seen. If you do a lot of crank arm grinds, etc i'd say the Bitchin' cranks are ...more

I disagree, I dont like the look of them. The ease of installation is probably true for a lot of cranks, but my bsd cranks slid on and off easy af so it didn't really take any more time. Strength wise is that same old debate.. My BSD cranks are solid af though

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

6/8/2015 3:03 PM

Personally my 1948s have been fine, but I don't do crank arm grinds anymore (haven't in like 10 years) so they are mint after about 2 3/4 years.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/8/2015 5:05 PM

Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolts.

If your 48 spline cranks are easy to get on and off, its either because they wobble, or are going to wobble soon.

|

6/8/2015 11:56 PM

tecnic1 wrote:

Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolts.

If your 48 spline cranks are easy to get on and off, its either because they ...more

Not true, I have multiple pairs of Profile cranks which I can take apart with ease and no tools..Had them like this for years, no wobble or any other issues. They stay tight and feel solid.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

6/9/2015 1:46 AM

Not had a problem with 48 spline,
I've had eclat tibias, still my favorite, felt solid no problems, tick all the boxes

I'm now running bone deth cranks, nice and solid and nice retro styling, designed for grinds.

Me personally would go for subrosa, you can stick with the bitchin which is 19mm 48 spl or go for the new Big Bitchin which is 22mm 48 spl.

In all honesty most cranks from most Bmx company's are all good, just personal preference in looks, spindle size etc

|

6/9/2015 5:26 AM

Thunderbolt sounds best

|

Testimony and apologies

I want everyone to know that Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of your sins, he went to hell for three days and defeated death and rose from the grave on the 3rd day.

instagram
What would Jesus say: I didn't die for you to live like this!

old edit

6/9/2015 6:29 AM

tecnic1 wrote:

Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolts.

Thunderbolts.

If your 48 spline cranks are easy to get on and off, its either because they ...more

The Horror Contact wrote:

Not true, I have multiple pairs of Profile cranks which I can take apart with ease and no tools..Had them like this for years, ...more

Let me rephrase that then.

If your 48 spline cranks are easy to take apart, and don't wobble, they aren't working correctly.

The strength of a splined interface is directly related to the (for a lack of better words) tightness of the fit. If your crank arms are easy to take on and off they aren't very tight.

Also, if they are easy to take on and off, and don't wobble, it's most likely because the spindle bolt, and rotational friction between the bolt and crank arm are preventing wobble.

I'm not saying that it doesn't work, I'm just saying it's not working as efficiently or reliably as it should.

The tapered wedges in Thunderbolts eliminate that concern (so do pinchbolts). I've had some experience designing involute splined joints, and replacements for splined joints in aircraft carriers, and based on that experience, I try to avoid splined joints whenever possible. Yeah, they work OK, and in some applications, they are great, but they are pretty sensitive to fit, lubrication, manufacturing process and alignment.

How about the new Primo cranks? I though about scooping a set just to use something besides Thunderbolts.

|

6/9/2015 9:20 AM

If the pedal boss issue from back in the day was fixed, they are awesome. I had a set before they used bolt/thread in style pedal bosses, and they eventually got pretty haggard.

They put bolt/thread in bosses and I saw a lot of people with issues with it over time, where the pedal boss would rotate in the arm.

Outside of they they are solid. Crank arm grinds MIGHT stick a bit since they are aluminum.

|

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura