Back Wheel catching coping (360)

Related:
Create New Tag

8/13/2018 6:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 6:31 AM

Finally trying to get 360's back, I landed maybe 2 or 3 very sketchy ones flyout years ago. Today I've been managing 270s, until my back wheel hit the coping and twisted my ankle up bad.

Anyone know why this happens occasionally? I'd feel much more confident knowing that won't happen.

|

8/13/2018 7:01 AM

I hate flyout tricks, i dont think ive ever even done a flyout trick in my whole time riding... ive only done like flyout to double tire to hop back in, but thats about it....

I just do all my tricks in a hop or out of a bank...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/13/2018 7:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 7:20 AM

Not really great at flyout tricks myself but my guess is too much bunny hop kinda pop upwards, gives you nice air but at the same time kills the forward momentum. Could be totally wrong tholaughing

Edit: just realized I might have misunderstood the problem, don't mind me

|

8/13/2018 7:22 AM

Possibly starting your rotation too early?

|

8/13/2018 7:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/13/2018 7:49 AM

Rabbe wrote:

Not really great at flyout tricks myself but my guess is too much bunny hop kinda pop upwards, gives you nice air but at the ...more

It might well be that actually. It's muscle memory to kind of hop to get height. Out of a bank, I'm not afraid to carve much harder and turn my head, but then I just don't get the time I need in the air, probably just going too slow though. I'll get em though! Even getting 180s back was hard but now I'm completely comfortable and get them every time flat and flyout.

|

8/13/2018 8:05 AM

fooby wrote:

It might well be that actually. It's muscle memory to kind of hop to get height. Out of a bank, I'm not afraid to carve much ...more

Yeah sounds familiar, have been having similar problems. I'm sure we'll both get there some daytongue

|

8/13/2018 8:33 AM

Your spinning too early and not going fast enough

|

8/15/2018 9:47 AM

I was just trying 360 fly outs and ate shit because I hit the coping my ankle hurts like a mother right now, so I feel your pain. I think its spinning before your back tire is out of the coping.

|

8/16/2018 1:45 AM

I had the same problem..actually didn't try it for ages now..but like as people said, you are probably starting the rotation too early.

|

8/16/2018 1:49 AM

Cheers guys, I'm off for a ride today to the park I first learned them so I'll try leaving the carve until later and going quicker.

|

8/16/2018 2:28 AM

It happens because you try to send your 360 horizontally like on flat ground.
causing your backwheel to not go fully up the ramp, and clip to coping at 90°
Try to send it more by looking at the bottom of the ramp as you are going up.

Photo
|

8/17/2018 10:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/17/2018 10:15 AM

Francky wrote:
It happens because you try to send your 360 horizontally like on flat ground.
causing your backwheel to not go fully up the ...more

Thanks my man, really appreciate it!

I'm having real trouble keeping my body turned. I look over my shoulder but I always land with my bars slightly pointed away from the direction of spin which suggests that my body is still trying to do a 180. I can do a big old carve and throw my weight into it but I don't think I'll ever get a 3 without fully leaning into it. Maybe I should just forget about the spin completely and just focus on taking off by looking back down the quarter. This may take a while grin

|