Back brake or no back brake?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/19/2014 8:33 AM

As a lot of you may know, I currently run both front and rear brakes. However, the other day a spring in my back brake broke. I know it's easy to get another one, but while it was broken I rode with out it and I actually preferred it in most ways. I would just not run it at all, but the day before that I decided to ride trails and after talking to the owner of the trails and riding them, I decided that I want to ride trails more frequently. The trails I ride are smooth but they are definitely not the sort you can ride brakeless on. So I'm leaving it up to Vital to decide; Front Brake only or Both Brakes? What would you choose in my situation? Thanks in advance.

|

5/19/2014 8:43 AM

For trails i wouldn't ride front brake only, i went otb a few times because of that haha back break only would be alot better or both if you dont want to just have the back breaks on. Lately i've been riding them brakeless and prefer it just seems more fun

|

Murica bike check
REFS four, tomdon, bmx1995, jared42069, obiwan chromoly, hate breeder, nshs2010, asilva23, rascio,
Alfred NYC, Kymike, chuck8273(kind of), tc86, Ugot2dewitt, LLURider, dprc, ecuadevil, scramhype, Mario.villegas90(X2), dirtstars22, Brian_Griffin

5/19/2014 8:47 AM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

For trails i wouldn't ride front brake only, i went otb a few times because of that haha back break only would be alot better ...more

What I mean is I wouldn't ride trails without a back brake, so if I did get rid of it I wouldn't ride trails.

|

5/19/2014 8:51 AM

Its best to be well rounded. I ride pure street so im being a hypocrite but still.

|

Old bike VVV

California Living

I now have a more or less stock sunday scout with a complete Demo rear wheel. Sue me

5/19/2014 8:51 AM

Dude too funny. I used to have just my front brake on cuz my rear brake broke too.... It sucked riding with just the front brake, so I took that off too. Rode brakess for a little bit. Got a new bike with a rear brake on it, totally happy cuz brakeless kind of has some close calls lol dude I rode a few trails brakeless... It was NOT fun. If u use front brake only it'll only send you over your bars when you least expect it. Get at least a back brake or both brakes for trials or you will probably get hurt in one way or another. Have fun man

|

5/19/2014 8:55 AM

feeble_to_face wrote:

Its best to be well rounded. I ride pure street so im being a hypocrite but still.

Yeah that's definitely true.

|

5/19/2014 8:55 AM

GTzone720 wrote:

Dude too funny. I used to have just my front brake on cuz my rear brake broke too.... It sucked riding with just the front ...more

I should of mentioned this in my first post; if I do keep my back brake off I won't ride trails.

|

5/19/2014 9:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2014 9:00 AM

rear brakes on ftw. i ride mostly street but i keep my rear brakes on just in case i run into a situation/setup/spot where i'd absolutely need them lol. and fufanus are fun!

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

5/19/2014 9:03 AM

tr1x wrote:

rear brakes on ftw. i ride mostly street but i keep my rear brakes on just in case i run into a situation/setup/spot where i'd ...more

That first part is a really good point, I'm fine without a back brake at the skate park and if I'm just cruising, but I can think of quite a few street spots where I've needed a brake. Thanks for that!

|

5/19/2014 9:17 AM

I would replace it and it is there if you need it. Otherwise, I would have it on but not use it if you know what I mean

|

Bruh

5/19/2014 9:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/19/2014 9:19 AM

Get a straight cable and spring, run straight cable back brake for trails, pull it off (in all of 5 mins) for street/park.

Best of both worlds with minimal work.

You could even leave the brake on, pull the lever and cable off when you don't run the brake to make it faster to set up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/19/2014 9:39 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

Get a straight cable and spring, run straight cable back brake for trails, pull it off (in all of 5 mins) for street/park.

...more

I have considered this, especially as I run a straight cable anyway. I would however need a new lever as I don't have a hinged one. Not too much of a problem though. The only problem is putting it on and off. To be honest it would only take 10 minutes max but still. Definitely not ruling out however.

|

5/19/2014 9:41 AM

Zach P-D wrote:

I would replace it and it is there if you need it. Otherwise, I would have it on but not use it if you know what I mean

Yeah I get what you're saying. The main reason why I liked not having it is because I use it way to much; I even hit the brake when I'm doing an air or a 360. It's a habit I kind of want to get rid of.

|

5/19/2014 10:05 AM

Positives for brakeless- tire clearance, save weight, no cable untangling, free

Positive for brakes- safely ride trails, stop in an emergency, opens doors for new tricks, slow down midway through a line without it looking sloppy, saves shoes (if you use them for stopping/slowing down), etc.

And imo youll look like the biggest jackass riding trails with fronts only lol.

And I would definitely look into a straight cable for trails. Whenever I get my shit dirty on my dual cable setup they dont work worth a damn. Straight pulls much better.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

5/19/2014 10:55 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Positives for brakeless- tire clearance, save weight, no cable untangling, free

Positive for brakes- safely ride trails, stop ...more

I really should of mentioned in the original post that I'm running a straight cable already and if I went to Front only I wouldn't ride trails, haha. You've got some very good points there.

|

5/19/2014 11:28 AM

Both brakes are where it's at.

Learn some flat work, be able to.ride whatever you want comfortably and have a much bigger bag of tricks potentially.

Also nosepicks and decades over sketchy footjams and "street cred"

|

5/19/2014 11:29 AM

You have my vote for rear brake only if anything... lol to me, the only disadvantage of rear brakes only is you go through pads way quicker than opposed to front and rear combo. thats just my preference though. Close calls always suck, I'd rather not have a busted up face than the pride of riding brakeless like a lot of other riders posess lol have fun man. I definitely dislike when people rag on using brakes lol Theres nothing wrong with brakes.

|

5/19/2014 11:34 AM

Mychaylo wrote:

Both brakes are where it's at.

Learn some flat work, be able to.ride whatever you want comfortably and have a much bigger ...more

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not sure if you thought this or not, but I have no intention to take my Front Brake off in the foreseeable future. I love doing Nosepick variations. But you do have a very good point that having both brakes opens up more tricks, and I think I will keep my back brake on. Thanks for that!

|

5/19/2014 12:11 PM

GTzone720 wrote:

You have my vote for rear brake only if anything... lol to me, the only disadvantage of rear brakes only is you go through ...more

My rear pads are two years old...

I have had brakes all but maybe two weeks of that.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/19/2014 2:41 PM

2 brakes, freestyle

|

It’s all bmx

5/19/2014 2:57 PM

handlebar-to-face wrote:

For trails i wouldn't ride front brake only, i went otb a few times because of that haha back break only would be alot better ...more

BMX_Forever wrote:

What I mean is I wouldn't ride trails without a back brake, so if I did get rid of it I wouldn't ride trails.

If that's what's at stake, keep the brakes.

|

"Let it be heard: FOUR IS BACK MUH FUCKAZ"
Refs: Mobking, four, tomdon, Sickdude, xxOhioanxx onetrykid Krisner BMX
FBM Pizza Beer Roast Machine