Back in the game

Related:
Create New Tag

6/14/2016 5:14 AM

Hey guys, I'm new here and had a question for you. I'm slowly getting back into riding after almost 8 years of "retirement" due to a blown out knee and shoulder from riding in the past. I rode during the "mid" years of BMX in the late 90's through the early to mid 2000's. Bikes nowadays have changed drastically from my days of riding. I rode an S&M war pig frame with all the goodies including odyssey hazard triple wall wheels. The bike was around 50+ lbs. It was a heavy duty sob to say the least! These bikes now are small and very lite! I'm bigger than the average rider at 6'1" and about 190lbs. I have the opportunity to pick up a stolen morr bike complete. It has a 21" top tube which should be about the bottom of the length barrel for me. My question is, is this a decent bike? I have a lot of ironing out to do on my riding because it's been so long so I don't need anything crazy right now. Thanks guys!

|

6/14/2016 1:55 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Hey guys, I'm new here and had a question for you. I'm slowly getting back into riding after almost 8 years of "retirement" ...more

Seems pretty decent-full chromoly, double wall rims, sealed bearings across the board. The ONLY concern might be heavy peg use and the 3/8ths female rear hub.

Being 6'1", a 21 would be a solid starter size-especially coming back to BMX. I am 6 feet even and ride a 20.75 currently, but the last two frames I had were 21" and felt great. There is a personal preference element to frame size that I feel gets ignored. Back in your (our) era of Bmx (I've been riding 17 years now) frames were pretty commonly 20.5 or so, with a lot fewer TT length options.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/14/2016 4:34 PM

Exactly! 20.5 was the longest top tube I could run but I ran S&M slambars that I cut to length and they sat nice and high so whips were no issue. I'm thinking the 21" will be a bit better but I'm wondering about the 3/8 axle too. I'm used to the heavy heavy duty bikes back then lol should be ok though I'm not planning on going nuts. I have plenty of injuries and just plan to take it decently easy. It's going to take me time to get used to these damn lite bikes nowadays. I'm used to throwing around a 50+ lb sledgehammer lol but thanks for the reply man! I've been out of the game for a long time and just trying to get these "young kids" nowadays to give an old timer some info

|

6/14/2016 6:24 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Exactly! 20.5 was the longest top tube I could run but I ran S&M slambars that I cut to length and they sat nice and high ...more

Right on man! Being 30 and still going (albeit a tad slower) BMX is a whole different beast from back then. Bikes are solid, light, and the level of riding is getting just plain silly.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/14/2016 7:10 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Hey guys, I'm new here and had a question for you. I'm slowly getting back into riding after almost 8 years of "retirement" ...more

Hell, I am 47 and still trying to ride! Bikes are different, and riding is WAAAYYYY different for me. Back in the late 70's/ early 80's , we did not have "street" or "park". We just had the moto cross race tracks, or trails in the woods. No fakies, tailwhips, 180's, 360's , grinding....you just tried to jump high and land clean...it was still "the thing" to have a full Chromo bike, but I don't honestly remember if we had sealed bearings back then or not...I was only 11-13. All I knew was the Mongoose Supergoose was the best bike you could get...at least in our area. Redlines were 2nd, Haros, Gt's, Hutch...

My step-son is getting into riding and it has been cool to help teach him the basics. He pushes me as well to not be such a chicken sometimes. It has been pretty cool for me at the parks though. younger riders are all very chill, and very helpful. Some of the younger kids who think they are gangsters are jerks, but that is the same anywhere. Lots of the 20 something guys are very encouraging...I am slowly working on getting some of the park tricks going...

the thing is to never quit riding! I wish I hadn't!! Keep it up!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/15/2016 5:52 AM

I'm thinking about going with my old odyssey hazard triple wall wheels. My current bike has 14mm drop outs in the rear so I'm good there but the front fork dropouts are 3/8 and the old school in me hates 3/8 axles. What I'm asking is, I have my old S&M pitchforks with the 14mm dropouts. If I swap out forks will the "old" stuff throw off any geometry of the new style frames?

|

6/15/2016 6:42 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

I'm thinking about going with my old odyssey hazard triple wall wheels. My current bike has 14mm drop outs in the rear so I'm ...more

nah, you'll be fine

|

It’s all bmx

6/15/2016 7:38 AM

Sweet! I need to make this bike heavy! Coming off of a 50lb bike from a 10 year hiatus is making me crazy with this 25lb bike! Granted it is easy to throw around, but I still love the beefy stuff!

|

6/15/2016 7:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/15/2016 7:58 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

man, my all steel 29+ mountain bike only weighs 30ish...I could not imagine a bmx that weighs more than 25....that S&M must have been a tank. I don't even think my 80's era Mongoose with the Tuff 2 mags weighed more than 30....

on the other hand, I never ever worried about bike weight till I got into MTBing...and even them I didn't care. I just get on and ride. To me the bike has to be sturdy, regardless of the weight. Since I am not well off, my bikes have to last many years...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/15/2016 8:01 AM

Yeah man that bike was a heavy tank! Back when we used to run profile black jack chain wheels and go cart chains! I weighed it in back then and it tipped the scales somewhere around 50lbs

|

6/15/2016 8:05 AM

Also used to run the DK iron cross pedals that were shin killers! Still have scars everywhere from those damn things! But they were awesome pedals! We used to do huge gaps, dirt, and a lot a lot of heavy street riding! Tons of chain grinds, chain stalls, and what not! Good times

|