Back in the game after 6 years

Related:
Create New Tag

2/17/2019 10:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/17/2019 10:37 AM

I last rode my BMX about 5/6 years ago, and it was probably another year or so before that when I was really clued up on the scene. I kept my bike the whole time, and have been toying with the idea of getting back into it for a while now.

I’ve been looking at upgrading my bike—some of the parts are super old, a bit rusty, or just downright not worth fixing (like my wheels).

I noticed a couple of things since looking at parts and wondered why they changed.

- Freecoasters were coming back into fashion around the time I stopped riding. I’m building a new set of wheels and thinking of going for the old faithful cassette. Why the sudden rise in freecoasters?
- Bars have got crazy high. I have a pair of WTP mad max bars—the OG ones that were like 8.7”. The same bars now come in 10.2”!! Is that not insane?
- Stems all seem to be top loaders too, increasing the bar heights even more. This is another part I need to upgrade but should I go for the extra height, or go for the classic front loader instead?
- 65psi is also popular again. 110 was the most common from what I can remember. Why so low now?

Are there any other big changes in bike style in the last 5 years?

I’m in a position where money isn’t really an issue for me now since I’m older and have a decent job. I figured I would get some top of the range parts and have the bike I always wished I had, but for the current style.

So the parts I’m looking at right now are:
- Gsport Rollcage rims
- Odyssey Vandero
- Odyssey Antigram V2
- Odyssey DGN stem

I’m also looking for recommendations for a set of cranks, sprocket, pedals, and tyres.

I really like the riding style of Tom Dugan—brakeless, pegless, and big air—just in case that wasn’t obvious from the parts lost I’ve already picked haha.

Any suggestions for parts and brands that would help an older dude out would be amazing.

|

2/17/2019 11:04 AM

Bars are ridiculous now, frames are super short and responsive, cranks are shorter, tyres are wider. It's weird.

I've recently gone up to 9.2" bars, with a frontload, and it feels decent. I tried 9" with a topload for a while and hated it. I also prefer slightly older geometry, average sized tyres and stuff. Freecoasters are popular because kids are too scared to go fast, so they do grind combo's with plastic pegs on foot tall ledges. The freecoaster makes it easier to roll out of a 180 with no speed, especially if they land sideways. Not many people with a freecoaster use them to their full potential. At the other end of the spectrum is the instant engagement hubs that sound like aids (profile elite, etc). You can't go wrong with a good old 3 or 4 pawl cassette.

Companies worth supporting are pretty much the ones that are still around from when you last rode. Everything else is just generic cookie cutter shit. Fbm, odyssey, profile, g sport, animal, fit/s&m etc are all still making good stuff and doing good things.

I've got antigrams and rollcages. The antigram cassette can have a few teething issues (like falling apart) but is otherwise solid. And my rims are old but still perfectly true (I've laced them to 4 or 5 hubs in the time I've had them. I got them about 4th hand).

I have animal akimbo cranks, 170mm. They're dialled. Odyssey thunderbolts are solid too, but the weld for the pedal boss is right where you grind if you do pedal grinds.

|

2/18/2019 12:11 AM

BSD Substance cranks, BSD Safari Pedals, BSD Donnasqueak tyres and The Grey sprocket wink

|

2/18/2019 6:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2019 6:11 AM

Always animal for tires, unless you ride trails.

|

Ride everything

2/18/2019 7:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2019 7:15 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Bars are ridiculous now, frames are super short and responsive, cranks are shorter, tyres are wider. It's weird.

I've recently gone up to 9.2" bars, with a frontload, and it feels decent. I tried 9" with a topload for a while and hated it. I also prefer slightly older geometry, average sized tyres and stuff. Freecoasters are popular because kids are too scared to go fast, so they do grind combo's with plastic pegs on foot tall ledges. The freecoaster makes it easier to roll out of a 180 with no speed, especially if they land sideways. Not many people with a freecoaster use them to their full potential. At the other end of the spectrum is the instant engagement hubs that sound like aids (profile elite, etc). You can't go wrong with a good old 3 or 4 pawl cassette.

Companies worth supporting are pretty much the ones that are still around from when you last rode. Everything else is just generic cookie cutter shit. Fbm, odyssey, profile, g sport, animal, fit/s&m etc are all still making good stuff and doing good things.

I've got antigrams and rollcages. The antigram cassette can have a few teething issues (like falling apart) but is otherwise solid. And my rims are old but still perfectly true (I've laced them to 4 or 5 hubs in the time I've had them. I got them about 4th hand).

I have animal akimbo cranks, 170mm. They're dialled. Odyssey thunderbolts are solid too, but the weld for the pedal boss is right where you grind if you do pedal grinds.

3/4 of this was an opinion, you can absolutely go fast on a coaster. I mean FUCK that slow style of riding but its not fair to lump coasters into that when there are garbage cassette riders.

|





2/18/2019 7:23 AM

I still ride frontloads but do whatever you want, its really up to you as there's no difference other than geo.

Loads of tires still go up to 110 psi, I'm in the 75-80psi camp but I'm kinda old school. Fat tires are meant to be run low for the benefits of them to show but I was never a fan.

Animal or Odyssey tires are ones ive had good experiences with, I'd just stay away from sizes above 2.20-2.25. I like Profile and Pr1mo (Powerbite) cranks. If you're gonna go with metal pedals I ride Shadow Ravagers (sealed ones) and they hold the hell up to me eating shit all the time.

|





2/18/2019 8:23 AM

Bikes feel more like mountain bikes now tall and heavy definitely my least favorite era of bmx trends

I still ride
Low seat
Small bars/medium bars
Low frame
Light wheels and tires
Cassette
Medium tires

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/18/2019 8:46 AM

Out of all the tire sizes i've tried 2.4f/ 2.24r (actual width) has been my favorite. I think i'm going to try an actual 2.1 tire on the rear next, though.

If it was 13yrs ago and I was still 5'6"-ish i'd still be rocking a 20.5" tt, 7"-8" bars 2.1f/1.95r tires and front load (everything else would be the same as my current bike).

Tom Dugan's current (2018+) setup is pretty normal these days for someone who's 6'.

|

2/18/2019 9:04 AM

Four wrote:

Bikes feel more like mountain bikes now tall and heavy definitely my least favorite era of bmx trends

I still ride
Low seat
Small bars/medium bars
Low frame
Light wheels and tires
Cassette
Medium tires

How tall r u tho? lol

Also, a 25lb bike +/- 1lb isn't what i'd really call "heavy".

|

2/18/2019 10:27 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Bars are ridiculous now, frames are super short and responsive, cranks are shorter, tyres are wider. It's weird.

I've recently gone up to 9.2" bars, with a frontload, and it feels decent. I tried 9" with a topload for a while and hated it. I also prefer slightly older geometry, average sized tyres and stuff. Freecoasters are popular because kids are too scared to go fast, so they do grind combo's with plastic pegs on foot tall ledges. The freecoaster makes it easier to roll out of a 180 with no speed, especially if they land sideways. Not many people with a freecoaster use them to their full potential. At the other end of the spectrum is the instant engagement hubs that sound like aids (profile elite, etc). You can't go wrong with a good old 3 or 4 pawl cassette.

Companies worth supporting are pretty much the ones that are still around from when you last rode. Everything else is just generic cookie cutter shit. Fbm, odyssey, profile, g sport, animal, fit/s&m etc are all still making good stuff and doing good things.

I've got antigrams and rollcages. The antigram cassette can have a few teething issues (like falling apart) but is otherwise solid. And my rims are old but still perfectly true (I've laced them to 4 or 5 hubs in the time I've had them. I got them about 4th hand).

I have animal akimbo cranks, 170mm. They're dialled. Odyssey thunderbolts are solid too, but the weld for the pedal boss is right where you grind if you do pedal grinds.

Super-Pawl wrote:

3/4 of this was an opinion, you can absolutely go fast on a coaster. I mean FUCK that slow style of riding but its not fair to lump coasters into that when there are garbage cassette riders.

All of it is an opinion. But it's an opinion based on what I see in pretty much every edit out there. I was merely outlining the current trend of big bars, short frames, 4 plastic pegs, freecoaster, wide tyres, wafty slow ledge combo's. Because that is a large percentage of bmx right now.

|

2/18/2019 10:36 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

How tall r u tho? lol

Also, a 25lb bike +/- 1lb isn't what i'd really call "heavy".

5’9

I don’t think bikes are really 24-25 anymore most bikes I’ve felt and seen are at least 27+

It’s also not just about weight but weight distribution. I don’t see how people ride wheels as heavy as they are now. I guess now the style is just doing ledge combos so you don’t really need a light bike. But shit 40 oz forks and bars nah we can leave those in 2004. But that’s the trend right now just like 21 lb bikes were years ago now it’s to have the heaviest clunkiest bike lol

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/18/2019 10:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/18/2019 10:54 AM

Four wrote:

Bikes feel more like mountain bikes now tall and heavy definitely my least favorite era of bmx trends

I still ride
Low seat
Small bars/medium bars
Low frame
Light wheels and tires
Cassette
Medium tires

Bryan91 wrote:

How tall r u tho? lol

Also, a 25lb bike +/- 1lb isn't what i'd really call "heavy".

Four wrote:

5’9

I don’t think bikes are really 24-25 anymore most bikes I’ve felt and seen are at least 27+

It’s also not just about weight but weight distribution. I don’t see how people ride wheels as heavy as they are now. I guess now the style is just doing ledge combos so you don’t really need a light bike. But shit 40 oz forks and bars nah we can leave those in 2004. But that’s the trend right now just like 21 lb bikes were years ago now it’s to have the heaviest clunkiest bike lol

Did you ride in the early 2000s? 27 pounds is not heavy.

|

2/18/2019 11:03 AM

Bryan91 wrote:

How tall r u tho? lol

Also, a 25lb bike +/- 1lb isn't what i'd really call "heavy".

Four wrote:

5’9

I don’t think bikes are really 24-25 anymore most bikes I’ve felt and seen are at least 27+

It’s also not just about weight but weight distribution. I don’t see how people ride wheels as heavy as they are now. I guess now the style is just doing ledge combos so you don’t really need a light bike. But shit 40 oz forks and bars nah we can leave those in 2004. But that’s the trend right now just like 21 lb bikes were years ago now it’s to have the heaviest clunkiest bike lol

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Did you ride in the early 2000s? 27 pounds is not heavy.

I did, my first bike was around 35 lbs and you see how riding was in the early 2000s a hop 360 was a rare trick and could usually only be done with brakes to cut the rotational weight. 27 lbs definitely doesn’t feel nice. I mean it’s not heavy to lift but the way the weight factors into tricks makes it feel pretty shitty.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/18/2019 11:13 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Did you ride in the early 2000s? 27 pounds is not heavy.

It does feel like ass though wink

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/18/2019 11:39 AM

Four wrote:

5’9

I don’t think bikes are really 24-25 anymore most bikes I’ve felt and seen are at least 27+

It’s also not just about weight but weight distribution. I don’t see how people ride wheels as heavy as they are now. I guess now the style is just doing ledge combos so you don’t really need a light bike. But shit 40 oz forks and bars nah we can leave those in 2004. But that’s the trend right now just like 21 lb bikes were years ago now it’s to have the heaviest clunkiest bike lol

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Did you ride in the early 2000s? 27 pounds is not heavy.

p1p1092 wrote:

It does feel like ass though wink

I don't know. My 20"weighs about 25 pounds. That feels pretty good to me. I had an almost 40 pound bike in 2000. Even my 30ish pound cruiser feels way better than thay thing did.

|

2/18/2019 11:49 AM

Four wrote:

5’9

I don’t think bikes are really 24-25 anymore most bikes I’ve felt and seen are at least 27+

It’s also not just about weight but weight distribution. I don’t see how people ride wheels as heavy as they are now. I guess now the style is just doing ledge combos so you don’t really need a light bike. But shit 40 oz forks and bars nah we can leave those in 2004. But that’s the trend right now just like 21 lb bikes were years ago now it’s to have the heaviest clunkiest bike lol

My bike was 25.5lbs brakeless which isn't that bad considering it had 10" straight gauge bars, 172mm fork with 2.4"+ clearance, 21.5"TT, 5" HT, 9.2" SO, 2.3" tires and some Dans heavy duty tubes... lol

I would imagine my same bike shrunken down a bit would easly be a couple lbs lighter.

I actually like finding bikes you described on Japanese bmx blogs. They stay with the style you described. I'm just too tall and fat for that these days (all though i'm pretty hyped on going down to 9.5" bars). laughing

|

2/18/2019 12:10 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

My bike was 25.5lbs brakeless which isn't that bad considering it had 10" straight gauge bars, 172mm fork with 2.4"+ clearance, 21.5"TT, 5" HT, 9.2" SO, 2.3" tires and some Dans heavy duty tubes... lol

I would imagine my same bike shrunken down a bit would easly be a couple lbs lighter.

I actually like finding bikes you described on Japanese bmx blogs. They stay with the style you described. I'm just too tall and fat for that these days (all though i'm pretty hyped on going down to 9.5" bars). laughing

I definitely think the bikes that are tall and big have their place for bigger riders! My only issue is that the market all has the same shit lol so I pretty much can only buy older frames.

For sure! A lot of people hate on those bikes because they aren’t “in” or whatever but I love the feel and look of those. I tried some tall bars and they were nice for cruising and barspins were easier to catch but I lost all my pop and shit lol. Sitting down to cruise is nice too with the tall seat

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/18/2019 12:38 PM

Four wrote:

5’9

I don’t think bikes are really 24-25 anymore most bikes I’ve felt and seen are at least 27+

It’s also not just about weight but weight distribution. I don’t see how people ride wheels as heavy as they are now. I guess now the style is just doing ledge combos so you don’t really need a light bike. But shit 40 oz forks and bars nah we can leave those in 2004. But that’s the trend right now just like 21 lb bikes were years ago now it’s to have the heaviest clunkiest bike lol

Bryan91 wrote:

My bike was 25.5lbs brakeless which isn't that bad considering it had 10" straight gauge bars, 172mm fork with 2.4"+ clearance, 21.5"TT, 5" HT, 9.2" SO, 2.3" tires and some Dans heavy duty tubes... lol

I would imagine my same bike shrunken down a bit would easly be a couple lbs lighter.

I actually like finding bikes you described on Japanese bmx blogs. They stay with the style you described. I'm just too tall and fat for that these days (all though i'm pretty hyped on going down to 9.5" bars). laughing

Four wrote:

I definitely think the bikes that are tall and big have their place for bigger riders! My only issue is that the market all has the same shit lol so I pretty much can only buy older frames.

For sure! A lot of people hate on those bikes because they aren’t “in” or whatever but I love the feel and look of those. I tried some tall bars and they were nice for cruising and barspins were easier to catch but I lost all my pop and shit lol. Sitting down to cruise is nice too with the tall seat

I'm the same. I love bikes of the 2008ish era. Before bars got silly high. I'm not a fan of the super low frames. But low and long always looks better. Frontload stems, slammed seat (or nearly at least) on an 8.5"ish frame looks dialled. My next bike/rebuild is going to be all black too.
Luckily, I grew up riding tiny bars and heavy bikes. So bikes I like the look of actually fit me pretty well compared to mid school and new new school bikes. They were just more refined, a perfect middle ground, and the stupid light phase was over by then too.


I actually just received a copy of tomorrow we work from Joe Cox. I'm stoked hahah

|

2/18/2019 12:39 PM

Jibby wrote:

Always animal for tires, unless you ride trails.

They're durable, that's about the only positive thing I could say about them sick

|

2/18/2019 1:42 PM

Swaggy P wrote:

They're durable, that's about the only positive thing I could say about them sick

What negatives have you got to say about them?

|

Ride everything

2/18/2019 1:59 PM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

I don't know. My 20"weighs about 25 pounds. That feels pretty good to me. I had an almost 40 pound bike in 2000. Even my 30ish pound cruiser feels way better than thay thing did.

My first bike was 30ish pounds(4 pegs, freecoaster, cheap shit parts, etc.). The best thing I ever did for bike feel was getting rid of my pegs, and every big reduction in weight since has made it feel that little bit better. My bike is now around 21lbs if I remember correctly, and it rides better than ever before. That said, I wouldn't go much, if any lighter than what I have at the moment for durability and stability reasons.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

2/19/2019 3:33 AM

Jibby wrote:

Always animal for tires, unless you ride trails.

asm ;( never forget

|

2/19/2019 5:16 AM

Super-Pawl wrote:

3/4 of this was an opinion, you can absolutely go fast on a coaster. I mean FUCK that slow style of riding but its not fair to lump coasters into that when there are garbage cassette riders.

While you are right, you can go fast on a coaster, a large majority of the riders out there (especially on the pro level) don't.




|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/19/2019 2:47 PM

Bryan91 wrote:

My bike was 25.5lbs brakeless which isn't that bad considering it had 10" straight gauge bars, 172mm fork with 2.4"+ clearance, 21.5"TT, 5" HT, 9.2" SO, 2.3" tires and some Dans heavy duty tubes... lol

I would imagine my same bike shrunken down a bit would easly be a couple lbs lighter.

I actually like finding bikes you described on Japanese bmx blogs. They stay with the style you described. I'm just too tall and fat for that these days (all though i'm pretty hyped on going down to 9.5" bars). laughing

Four wrote:

I definitely think the bikes that are tall and big have their place for bigger riders! My only issue is that the market all has the same shit lol so I pretty much can only buy older frames.

For sure! A lot of people hate on those bikes because they aren’t “in” or whatever but I love the feel and look of those. I tried some tall bars and they were nice for cruising and barspins were easier to catch but I lost all my pop and shit lol. Sitting down to cruise is nice too with the tall seat

grumpySteve wrote:

I'm the same. I love bikes of the 2008ish era. Before bars got silly high. I'm not a fan of the super low frames. But low and long always looks better. Frontload stems, slammed seat (or nearly at least) on an 8.5"ish frame looks dialled. My next bike/rebuild is going to be all black too.
Luckily, I grew up riding tiny bars and heavy bikes. So bikes I like the look of actually fit me pretty well compared to mid school and new new school bikes. They were just more refined, a perfect middle ground, and the stupid light phase was over by then too.


I actually just received a copy of tomorrow we work from Joe Cox. I'm stoked hahah

I feel ya dude. I don’t like really low frames but a nice 7.75-8.4ish standover is nice. Anything taller is too much for me. I still like my bars lower than 8.5 with a frontload. I have 8.3x26 right now. I think most bike parts are just kinda lame now i have to order old parts lol. But I’ll always probably have my bike set up low and light, I hate doing barspins (I can do them but only flat because I throw wrong), gaps, stairs etc so a big stable cruiser isn’t needed.

That’s such a good video One of my favorites especially the dan cox left over clips.

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

2/20/2019 12:07 PM

Hey four. I’m not much of a shredder but hit me up if you ever want to ride downtown street or something. I’m guessing your near Columbus?

|

2/20/2019 4:20 PM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

Hey four. I’m not much of a shredder but hit me up if you ever want to ride downtown street or something. I’m guessing your near Columbus?

All good haha I’ll ride with anyone of any skill level and I live about an hour south of Columbus. I go to the indoor up there sometimes but haven’t been in a few years lol but for sure

|

45 refs and counting check profile.