Back setup help?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/10/2015 8:48 PM

Bought a complete bike about a year ago. Everything was good. Wait, there is a gap between the driver and hub shell. I tried to tighten the cone but to where there was no gap. And the gap went away. When I set the wheel back in the dropouts, it wobbled. And the cone but keeps coming loose. Would droupout spacers being put inside the dropout keep the nut from coming loose?

|

10/10/2015 9:30 PM

This happened to me once, and I think it was a nut on the opposite side of the hub (The non-drive side of your hub) that was stuck to the actual hub, so when the wheel axle spun from tightening the axle bolts, the driver would come loose. What I did was took it apart, re-grease and assemble, and took my time to put it back on the bike.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

10/11/2015 9:02 AM

readybmxer wrote:

This happened to me once, and I think it was a nut on the opposite side of the hub (The non-drive side of your hub) that was ...more

I took it apart last night, taking off the end bolts, and then removed the driver. I thought the driver was supposed to come out with the axle. Guess not. When I spin the opposite bolt by itself, it makes the whole axle spin. I thought you could make it come out more or go in more to adjust your dropouts. Maybe its stuck?

|

10/11/2015 4:21 PM

carson.4130 wrote:

I took it apart last night, taking off the end bolts, and then removed the driver. I thought the driver was supposed to come ...more

Yep. The driver sits into the cassette and doesn't come out WITH the axle. About the opposite axle spinning with the bolt, I had the same problem. That bolt that spins the axle should really screw off no problem. My guess is that the bolt is your problem since it won't let you keep a tight wheel and, therefore, creates the wobble from side-to-side. I still haven't loosened mine, so I run different wheels now, but I'm sure there's a way.

P.S., do you happen to be talking about the Stolen Revolver wheel? 'Cause that's the wheel this happened to me.

|

@scootereyn

10/11/2015 5:56 PM

No it's a stock Salt back wheel from a 2014 WTP Justice

|

10/11/2015 5:57 PM

Here is a photo for whatever reasonPhoto

|

10/11/2015 6:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/11/2015 6:08 PM

Ohhh okay, I see now. I think you should put a spacer between the lock bolt and the frame dropouts.

Also, your 100% sure that the bolt can't go in anymore?

|

@scootereyn

10/11/2015 10:35 PM

Can you move the driver around when it's tightened to the wheel, or is it kinda just stuck and won't move?

You should be able to just push the driver back in assuming the bearings are okay, then tighten the locknut against it and it won't move. Make sure when you tighten the wheel to your frame that the axle doesn't spin cause that can cause the nut to come loose as you're tightening the wheel.

Also look to see if you have all the bearings in your driver still, could have blown one out making it possible for the driver locknut to not be able to tighten down all the way due to a gap where the bearing should be.

|

10/12/2015 6:31 AM

Take your hub apart and have a lookie into it, man.

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.