Backyard pumptrack/dirt jumps

Related:
Create New Tag

6/14/2017 4:41 AM

First, moderators not sure if this would fall under "General BMX" so feel free to move it.

Here is the deal. Just bought a house, I got the go-ahead from the Mrs. to build a pump track/jump section in roughly a 60x100'' ALMOST completely flat section of the yard. Now if it actually happens is another thing, but I am going to try. Being as though its in suburbia and there is a sewer line running underneath digging down for dirt really isn't an option. I will dig down A LITTLE, but thats just to get it nearly flat but I am in no way relying on that for dirt.

So here's the deal:
- Thinking of a figure 8 that could be ridding as an outside loop with fun roll-able features for my 5yo, or you could hip and/or shark fin into a middle line that would have 4-pack or 6-pack (4' tall, 8-10' maybe, nothing crazy).
- I was checking the municipality for permits/codes and I am allowed up to 25 cubic yards of 'fill' before I need to apply for a permit. How far will 25 yards go? My rough calculations says I will need 45-55 cubic yards.
- for those that have built back yard sections, have you experienced 'cranky neighbors' and/or municipality issues?
- for those that have built back yard sections, do you know how much of an area it occupies?
- I know a clay mix is optimal, but the only two descriptions I can find from suppliers around here is, gray clay for ponds, and screened or unscreened topsoil. Experiences with either?

Any input or experiences you guys have feel free to share. I have been researching this like crazy and would like to have all my bases covered before the dirt gets delivered.

|

6/14/2017 5:40 AM

We bought in Aug 2015. Also got permission to use the yard for play time.

Rent a bobcat too, because moving 25yds of dirt by hand is a forever project! To avoid the patio, I had a 55'x30 space, and when we mapped it out it was too small for a pump track, you just run out of room so fast. Remember you somehow have to get speed, so you either need a drop in or a long slop to accelerate from. The 55' width would have been , drop in, jump, then turn and and come back through a double set and slam on the brakes. So tight, and not a lot of options.

We wound up doing nothing, planted grass seed to make it look nice, and I built a 16x32 ice rink for the winter with 1' high boards, that disassembles to go in storage for the summer. Two seasons later kids are crazy good ice skaters now, love hockey. We've hit every bmx/skate park in the area as and had a good time last summer doing that. But I am tired of putting bikes in cars, on roofs in trunks, taking wheels off etc. So this summer we've ordered a 8' wide 3' mini half pipe, it has to fit outside the footprint of the ice rink as it is permanent. We have the ground levelled and that took 4 CY of dirt. We used Costco Blue Garden Soil, they deliver right to the spot in the yard you need it. I can tell you that stuff is not suitable for dirt jumps, it is fluffy and light. Been on the ground 6 weeks now, tons of rain and it is still a little soft and spongy.

My advice is start with a single 100' run and see how that goes, learn the dirt and how much work it takes, then expand from there. It is a lot of work.

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

6/14/2017 10:27 PM

i posted a reply over on your other thread location:
http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/backyard-pumptrack-djs-1048195.html
|

6/15/2017 5:56 AM

cmc wrote:
i posted a reply over on your other thread location:
http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/backyard-pumptrack-djs-1048195.html

This thread is gold too:

http://forums.mtbr.com/urban-dj-park/dj-pump-track-plans-402237.html

And confirms my back of the envelope math that 55' is not going to work dizzy

|

New tech can't beat old school cool...or can it?
1987 O.O.S. Redline RL20II (Old Old Stock - this ain't no museum piece kids!)
2012 Norco Deviant
1996 GT Avalanche LE w/ Full 2002 XT upgrade and NE Total Air MZO fork

6/17/2017 4:49 AM

OGJ - thanks for the input. I have 'kiinda' mapped/sketched it out with some dimensions and sizes I have found on the internet. I feel as though 50x100 is probably the minimal amount of space you could get away with something like this. Thats why I would love to see pictures of actual setups and the space they are in. I was talking to owner of a local indoor bike park and the pump (http://www.thewheelmill.com/pump-track-now-open/) and he thought is was around 60x90.

CMC/OGJ - Thanks for the links, I have read through them. packed with great stuff.

|