Bad Experience with Dan's Comp.. (Order Review)

Related:
Create New Tag

3/27/2018 10:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 3:50 PM

So I've been hearing for a while that Dan's Comp's service has been going down the shitter, and have now found out for myself after 7+ years of being a loyal customer with no issues..

Early last week, I placed an order for 4 Pegs & 1 Sprocket, none of which were labeled as back-ordered.

I immediately received my order confirmation, confirming I have been charged for all the parts.

I received a shipping notification the next day saying that the entire order (Pegs & Sprocket) had shipped.

Come Friday, the package shows up and to my surprise, there is only pegs in the box. The receipt that came in the box showed that I had only been charged for the pegs, even though my card balance & transaction history shows otherwise.

So, I immediately called Dan's Comp & spoke to one of their representatives (wish I could recall her name) who assured me that the Sprocket was on back-order, but that it had just shown up to their facility. She said it would be shipped out shortly after the phone call & that I would have it by Tuesday (today.) She was talking as if she had the sprocket in her hands as we were speaking.

A few hours went by & I received a new shipping notification from them, also claiming that it would be delivered by today, Tuesday.

Today, the mail came with no sign of a package. So I checked the tracking # they sent me, to find out that nothing has been shipped. They just created a label, sent me a shipment notification, and left it at that.

So, I just called them yet again. This time, a different person answered. I explained to him everything that I have wrote so far in this thread, & he told me that he doesn't know who I talked to or why they claimed that the sprocket had arrived, or even why they would have created a shipping label for an item that they apparently don't even have.

He told me that, completely contrary to what I was originally told, that they have no idea when they will get more of the sprockets in stock & that I would have to wait much longer if I still want it. He said he could expedite the shipping, but that he has no clue when he will have a sprocket to ship.

Now I'm currently waiting for him to call back (& honestly wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't..,) as he's now supposedly calling the supplier to have them ship me a sprocket directly.

Update: Called again today & the same guy answered. Explained to him the entire situation, this time including the part about the card balance that kept me from being able to order for 10 days prior to all this, aswell as how I felt about being lied to by his co-worker and put off yesterday while I was waiting for a call back.

Apparently he hadn't heard from the supplier because he emailed them yesterday instead of calling *facepalm*.. So he put me on hold and called them. He told me the supplier would ship one today with 2-day shipping.

I have received the tracking information & received a UPS notification claiming that the package will be here tomorrow.

All should be sorted, but I'm not sure why they waited over a week after me purchasing the sprocket to get in touch with the supplier? If they would have done that to begin with, the sprocket would have came in on the same day as the pegs and I would have been a happy customer.. I shouldn't have had to call them on 3 separate occasions for them to finally do something about the matter.

The only thing left that's concerning (more shadiness?..) is that the UPS notification says it is coming from "XP Innovations", which is what it usually says when the package is coming from Dan's Comp. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it say something else if it's coming from the supplier?.. Kinda wonder if my sprocket actually arrived today & they BS'd me on the phone again today & just upgraded my shipping.. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Will update this thread as the story unfolds..

So is this their way of getting through bankruptcy? Lying to their loyal customers, creating false shipping labels, and not mentioning which items are on back-order? Not to mention, selling back-ordered items that they're not even sure when or if they will arrive?

I'm also quite curious as to why I have an email, transaction history, & card balance all claiming that I spent $105 with them, but a paper receipt claiming I only spent $50?

After 7+ years of loyalty and spending easily $10,000 with Dan's Comp, I think it's safe to say they will not see another dime from me after this.

They are hopefully getting me sorted, but that unfortunately does not make up for the lies or the over-all shadiness of the transaction.

They could have been honest with me from the start & I would have remained a happy customer.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

3/27/2018 10:26 AM

Damn. That is shitty customer service,
I still don't have my package from source which I ordered on the 5th but that doesn't bother me greatly because they have been emailing me updates regularly and have upgraded my shipping once the item gets there.

|

Hmmm

3/27/2018 10:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 10:30 AM

Yyyyyyuuup. This really sucks, because I have been shopping there for about 7 years myself. Pretty much my go-to, and I could almost always rely on them.

But similar things happened to me. They put some stuff on their site marked as "new arrivals" and I'm assuming, ok, you got new inventory. But lo and behold it's on back order.

That, to me is kinda messed up because you're sending promotional emails out to people saying "buy this!" they do, and then you say "oh we don't have that and don't know when it'll be coming"

After my experience with the custom frame and various other ridiculous fuck ups by the post office, fedex, ups, I basically just order and hope. I don't order from Dan's anymore because honestly I'm not confident that I'll get what I ordered in any reasonable amount of time, if at all.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

3/27/2018 10:30 AM

I've sorta limited my shopping with Dan's as of late. The last couple times I ordered from them, it took a fairly long time for my items to arrive. To the point that I started looking into what was taking so long. I, too, had shipping info but nothing was shipped. My guess is that they were waiting on something so they could mail everything together. It wasn't a huge deal overall so I didn't really press the matter but I had recalled a similar situation earlier so I've sorta laid off lately.

|

3/27/2018 10:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 10:37 AM

I had the same exact experience with some Fork, a sprocket and some pegs- All separate shipment over the span of like 2 months

It's sad, I do customer support for a shitty small company-and they do the same exact business practices, All we can do is lie and say it's coming in a couple weeks when in reality we have no idea cause my boss hasn't ordered anything at all from manufacturing.
We sell backup cameras and barely every have any actually in stock because the company doesn't care. They're constantly delegating all the employees to do jobs not under their job description and not giving any extra pay/overtime. I'm sure it's the same over there-the lady was swamped with calls for the same thing probably and lied to you in an attempt to stall the one of many pissed customers unaware of the fact that the merchandise they ordered is not in stock, I'm sure she nor the guy that obviously covered for her haven't received a pay increase for taking on the work of any employees they had to let go. It's real easy to fuck up a business, everyday I come into work, it's like watching my bosses Nosedive a plane into the ground, seems like the same at Dans.

|

3/27/2018 10:40 AM

This is all Trump's fault.

|

3/27/2018 10:44 AM

It's also entirely possible that the girl you were talking to was looking at the same screen you had looked at when you ordered & didn't know any better so she assumed maybe it hadn't shipped or it had just showed up "...because I can see it's in stock...". Then the second guy you talked to was more informed.

|

3/27/2018 10:50 AM

Also, to add to the shadiness..

I tried to place this same order a few weeks ago, but entered the card number wrong by 1 digit (last 4 digits were 5xxx, I entered it as 4xxx.)

Somehow, the money was still taken from my account, despite the card number being enterred wrong. I even received an order confirmation from Dan's, but they claimed that the payment did not go through on their end when I called.

I had to wait 10 days for Visa to refund the money, and even they were completely baffled about the transaction going through despite me accidentally using the wrong card number.

Now I'm wondering if Dan's Comp caught my mistake, fixed it in their system, & then pocketed the money and left it for Visa to solve...

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

3/27/2018 10:53 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

It's also entirely possible that the girl you were talking to was looking at the same screen you had looked at when you ...more

Nope, she claimed, word for word, that it was on back order but had arrived in a shipment that same day. She said it with a lot of confidence too, as if she had it in her hand as we spoke.

Now I see that that was just some BS to buy them time & get me off the phone.

Also not sure why she created a shipping label for something that wasn't actually there..

|

3/27/2018 10:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/27/2018 10:57 AM

When I ordered my Merritt Battle rim it took them almost a week and a half to finally ship it but once it was shipped it was pretty quick to come. ...At least you didn't order anything from bmxfu you'd die before getting anything you ordered.

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

3/27/2018 10:55 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

It's also entirely possible that the girl you were talking to was looking at the same screen you had looked at when you ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Nope, she claimed, word for word, that it was on back order but had arrived in a shipment that same day. She said it with a ...more

Or why it would be necessary to create a shipping label to begin with, if they're just going to have the supplier ship it directly.

From what I can tell, it was nothing more than a ploy to get me off the phone.

|

3/27/2018 11:04 AM

Last time I ordered dans it took 3 months for my stuff to show up , go with Albe’s or empire

|

3/27/2018 11:11 AM

Oh &

Inb4 adamnmexican "support your local shop" comment.

Danscomp was my local shop for the longest time, being only 2 and a half hours away. All other bike shops between me and them only sell MTB/Road Bike stuff.

|

3/27/2018 11:14 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Oh &

Danscomp was my local shop for the longest time, being only 2 ...more

adamnmexican only says support your local bike shop becasue he's lucky enough to have ORP as his local bike shop... ORP is a bit of a drive for me, so I just order shit off Empire....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/27/2018 11:15 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Nope, she claimed, word for word, that it was on back order but had arrived in a shipment that same day. She said it with a ...more

Well, if it was a deliberate shady act, she made the shipping label because their system probably automatically creates a notification to the customer to keep them informed. Thereby buying them at least 3-5 days.... maybe 6 since you (the customer) were expecting your package. Then after 4-5 days, when you get suspicious again, (they are hoping the parts will be there by that time & they can appease you with some stickers) they will deal with you with an apology and some sweet talk about a mix-up, I'm sure.

|

3/27/2018 11:18 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Well, if it was a deliberate shady act, she made the shipping label because their system probably automatically creates a ...more

Sounds about right.

Not sure why they didn't have the supplier ship it to me to begin with, since that's what it's coming to anyways.. just making me wait more & more.

Also, still no call back from them yet. I assume that was probably another ploy to buy a couple more days.

|

3/27/2018 11:37 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Oh &

Go empire then. Or Albes.

|

It’s all bmx

3/27/2018 11:37 AM

I used them all the time back in the day. When I came back to the BMX world not long ago, I saw comments about them pretty much running the business into the ground.

So, when I ordered a few new parts for my new bike, I avoided them because of what I heard. Seems the rumors could have been true...

Sorry for your minor bad luck. Hopefully they get it straightened out for ya. Good luck!

|

3/27/2018 11:42 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Oh &

adamnmexican wrote:

100% agree with you. Unfortunately in this instance, the parts were for a friend & Danscomp was the only option that claimed to have exactly what he wanted.

But, what do ya know? They don't even fkin have the stuff.

100% would have rather had Empire order it & wait for it to come in than have dealt with Dan's on this occasion. Probably would have had all the parts by now too.

Do i smell false advertisement?

|

3/27/2018 12:44 PM

Even with a 15% code couldn't bring myself to order from Dan's recently. Figured there was at least a fifteen percent chance it would get screwed up or go intergalactic back order. Too bad, they've been good in the past.

|

3/27/2018 1:46 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Oh &

adamnmexican wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

100% agree with you. Unfortunately in this instance, the parts were for a friend & Danscomp was the only option that ...more

getting a different brand wasn't an option? i mean parts are all pretty much the same, i would've just got something different. good luck with dan's

|

It’s all bmx

3/27/2018 2:50 PM

If you’re really concerned , I’d contact your bank and tell them to record this transaction and try and provide as much evidence as possible in case something backfired . I’ve ordered from Dans years ago when our dollar was good and they were amazing . I imagine maybe their service has gone down because no one hasn’t an idea what the fuck is going on over there ? How the fuck does one person say they have it and another say it practically doesn’t exist blows my mind ...

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/27/2018 2:56 PM

Yeah that sucks Tim.... ever since I've heard Dans is having money issues and problems and what not, I just stopped using them.... Albes and Empire have always been better anyways....

But yeah, definatly contact your bank and record as much of this as possible if worst case scenario they don't give you your stuff....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/27/2018 5:36 PM

This is how the internet killed off 80% of lbs and we are to blame! Very few online stores physically keep stock. Many ship straight from the manufacturer, this is how they keep cost down to us. But it means they are unlikely to keep 100% of the items they sell 100% of the time. A lot of stores in the UK now say “available in 2-3 days” - they take your order, payment and then order it in from a distributor. Hoping that it arrives in a reasonable time. The UK is bullshit, nothing is ever available. You want high end parts, then you need to wait for months. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

I’m a bit old school, I like to walk in, touch what I’m gonna buy and walk out with it. I am also guilty of shopping for the cheapest price online.

The answer is to support your lbs. These huge companies have got fat and lazy. Build a relationship with you lbs, encourage your homeboys to visit as well. Once they start to grow and thrive again, they will be able to get stocked up on all the good shiz. They will order your bits right from the same places as source and dans. Yes it will cost us a little extra but it’s gotta be better than letting these global machines dick us around!

*mic drop*
*climbs down from his high horse*

|

If you build it, they will come

3/27/2018 5:59 PM

Sad that dans went down the toilet. I've ordered from them for about 18 years or so until this last year or so when my orders were always backordered or shipped,from somewhere else. Now,I use empire albes and there is some good places on eBay also

|

brakeless maniac

3/27/2018 7:51 PM

We're all fuckin dumb for not ordering from Albe's. They post on here and help us, support the culture and have amazing service. Sure, stock and prices aren't always the best in the game, but they'll work damn hard to win your business. I'm also guessing they'll go through hoops to get any part not listed on their site if they can for a customer. Same rave for Empire. Y'all at Albe's and Empire rock.

|

3/27/2018 9:31 PM

A similar thing happened to me. I'm sorry to hear that's happening to other people. I ordered something from universal cycles last night and today they called and sent an email explaining that they were out and asked if I wanted to sub anything else instead but I didn't want to so they canceled it. Easy as that. I didn't get something I ordered from Dan's and it took 2 days and it was a generated reply in email. I think I will stick to taking my money elsewhere.

|

3/28/2018 2:59 AM

Circuit bmx in Pawtucket Rhode Island or Albes are my go to. Vic at Circuit is a good dude.

|

3/28/2018 5:02 AM

Granted all I’ve ordered was a set of clearance tires from Dan’s and they came about 2 days later but everything else I’m looking for they don’t have or are on back order. So even with the promo codes and deals, they still don’t have the parts Im looking for so why order.

But I have been ordering mostly from empire and my order comes in 2-3 days after my order (usually beats the shipping update email). And I get immediate response if there is an issue with an order. Same with Albe’s... placed an order and about a hour later received a call about one of the parts and after it was straightened out I got an shipping update immediately. Parts came with zero issues.

All in all I’ll stick to Empire and Albe’s for my go to’s... I do agree with buying local but all my local shops are now a Pharmacy and a vacuum cleaner repair shop.

|

3/28/2018 7:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/28/2018 9:43 AM

So, they never called me back yesterday, as they said they would. I suppose that was just another lie?

Going to call back shortly and see what non sense they can come up with this time.

Also for those saying to call the bank, the transaction was done using a prepaid visa card.

|