Bad Noises

Related:
Create New Tag

8/9/2016 9:30 AM

Alright, I've got a wtp crysis, 2012. She's still in great condition no cracks no scratches. But lately whenever I pedal I hear this annoying creaking/tinging noise on every downstroke. Are my cranks loose or something? How would I fix that. Its coming from that general area so I assume it has something to do with them

|

8/9/2016 9:34 AM

Most likely your BB needs greasing. Take apart your cranks & sprocket, re-grease, assemble. If that's the problem, it should be gone after that.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

8/9/2016 11:28 AM

Re greasing bb bearings doesn't stop them being worn though. If there's any play in the bearings get a new bb. The creaking could also be that something isn't tight enough, or something else is worn. It could be pedals not tight enough, pedal bearings worn, crank bolts not tight enough or everything is dry, chain/sprocket/driver is worn, driver bearings are worn, bb is worn, sprocket bolt isn't tight enough, etc etc. It could literally be anything to do with your drivetrain. Take your pedals, cranks, sprocket and bb out, give it all a clean and reassemble with a bit of grease anywhere metal comes into contact with metal.
While it's off, check the bb bearings and the driver for play (also worth replacing if they're notchy, as they're on their way out), check your chain/driver/sprocket for any damage or signs of wear. Make sure everything is nice and tight when you put it back on

|

8/9/2016 7:42 PM

it's every time you crank down, right?

betting it's the spindle splines needing greased. take the crank arms off, clean any gunk and shit off of them, then put some grease (most any multi-purpose will do) on the splines, then make sure you put everything back together properly and see if that fixes it.

|

9/4/2016 8:03 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

it's every time you crank down, right?

betting it's the spindle splines needing greased. take the crank arms off, clean any ...more

Thanks for the helpful advice. It turned out my bb was fine. I think I was missing a spacer or two and like this little ring the sprocket sits on started to move around and my sprocket got ground down a bit. Ouch XC. But yeah bike rides nice meow. Still some annoyances with chainslap due to my patented moving sprocket.

|