Bad/Worst bmx “innovations”

Related:
Create New Tag

5/29/2021 12:37 PM

Just wondering what you guys think are the worst/bad “innovation” bmx has had . From just not practical to bad ideas. I understand sometimes an idea can be so new it can be hard for us to adapt or accept new technology. Like the cardinal frame with the different drop outs to plastic pegs which have now become the norm. I can think about a few like the KHE bars that were one piece bar/stem system. The odyssey elementary and tomahawk stems that came and went. Hollow bolts in your stem sucked. Stuff like that. Interested to read what y’all think.

|

5/29/2021 1:12 PM

Euro bb's, the khe internal gyro (affix?), pegs with bearings in them (pegs in general, lel), 8t drivers

|

5/29/2021 1:30 PM

Damn I forgot about euro bbs. The eastern Ti grim reaper has to be on this

|

5/29/2021 2:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2021 2:16 PM

Plate bridges for frames, not really innovation, a tube bridge is the best. Period.

But muh can custom. pft.

But I do love me some IC sections.

|

5/29/2021 2:18 PM

Coalition holy cross bars even tho they looked cool

|

5/29/2021 2:40 PM

Was it Sputnic who made those bars with the holes under the grip area? Sort of like the coalitions . I’m apprehensive about anything with holes in it. I remember running eastern slit pegs back in like 09. No Bueno
Photo

|

5/29/2021 2:49 PM

jibsercise wrote:

Was it Sputnic who made those bars with the holes under the grip area? Sort of like the coalitions . I’m apprehensive about ...more

I think Macneil were the first.

|

5/29/2021 2:49 PM

Eastern bikes

|

5/29/2021 2:52 PM

Francky wrote:

Eastern bikes

The first to do the holes on the bars under the grip area ?

|

5/29/2021 2:56 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2021 2:59 PM

Peg boss forks...might have been stronger than 3/8 axles back then but instead of ruining an axle you’d ruin the bolt and fork...then 14mm front axles came out but they still made the forks....grinding with them never felt right to me

Actually still have some standard peg boss forks in my possession

|

5/29/2021 2:58 PM

These are the ones i was thinking about . The silencer bars

Photo

|

5/29/2021 3:01 PM

What about these things . The pegless dudes I knew never considered riding these.

Photo

|

5/29/2021 3:17 PM

Photodirector forks
|

5/29/2021 3:23 PM

I’m gonna say 25.4mm bars and stem so someone gets mad at me

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

5/29/2021 3:23 PM

Oh and the tapered headtubes

|

5/29/2021 3:35 PM

Frames.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/29/2021 4:21 PM

readybmxer wrote:

Frames.

Jeez how could I have forgotten??!??!?

|

5/29/2021 5:14 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

And it’ll be someone who thinks their riding even justifies needing that tiny bit of added strength. Unnecessary dumb shit that just added another combination into the market that kids eat up anyway. If people could learn to properly tighten their stem and when to sand the paint off due to slipping, their bars would never move

Also never letting Sunday forget this abomination.
Photo

|

5/29/2021 6:11 PM

Pivotal seats, the worst ever..

Stealth or railed are the way to go..

|

5/29/2021 6:36 PM

I remember years ago thinking 9t drivers were stupid and would never catch on....jokes on me lol

|

It’s all bmx

5/29/2021 7:05 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

And it’ll be someone who thinks their riding even justifies needing that tiny bit of added strength. Unnecessary dumb shit ...more

Oh shit thanks for bringing that up, completely forgot about that, damn that was such a stupid idea even at that time when I first saw it I though to myself theirs no fucking way anyone would think this was a good idea let alone wanting to buy a frame with that "design".

|

5/29/2021 7:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2021 7:07 PM

Black Swamp Ghost wrote:

Pivotal seats, the worst ever..

Stealth or railed are the way to go..

But Stealth is Pivotal bro.

|

5/29/2021 8:28 PM

jibsercise wrote:

Just wondering what you guys think are the worst/bad “innovation” bmx has had . From just not practical to bad ideas. I ...more

The Cardinal frame is kind of cool imo, but for a different reason. I always wanted a droppout like that, but have inserts similar to the Shadow forks, so that you could change the axle height in relation to the bb for different response, it would also change the front triangle as well.

I have made a custom setup with a rear female profile hub in which i could change the height in a 14mm axle slot. It does work.

The SAndM WTF was pretty crazy. The enclosed dropouts and slammed headtube. Never caught on. I believe that frame is why SandM made Perfect 10s. To accomodate the slammed headtube and short steerer tube fork..

|

5/29/2021 10:51 PM

jibsercise wrote:

What about these things . The pegless dudes I knew never considered riding these.

Photo

Pegless guys don't use them because they are pegs. You stop being pegless as soon as they go on your bike

|

5/29/2021 10:58 PM

jibsercise wrote: Photodirector forks

You just don’t appreciate the era of that fork yet

|

My mom thinks I’m special

5/29/2021 11:25 PM

Subrosa Combat Lock. I know its just for quick trips into a convince store or whatever but still.. . Dont trust

Photo
Photo

|

5/29/2021 11:33 PM

^ those aren’t really bad at all. The chances of someone carrying a pair of cutters that will cut through that cable are slim unless they’re already expecting you. They’re not cuttable with just scissors or pliers, you’d need something like actual wire/cable cutters at the very least, something most people aren’t just carrying around when they go to a convenience store.

I definitely wouldn’t trust them long term but that’s also any lock, but for a quick 30 second run into a store they’re great and fit in your pocket nicely.

They are a bit on the easy side to lockpick though, I can rake one open in seconds but again not something most people are gonna have on them at any given moment

|

5/30/2021 12:50 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

^ those aren’t really bad at all. The chances of someone carrying a pair of cutters that will cut through that cable are slim ...more

Bike thieves regularly carry around that kind of thing. And a lot of cheap locks are easy enough to break open. I reckon a good hard yank on the bike would be enough to break that

|

5/30/2021 1:35 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Bike thieves regularly carry around that kind of thing. And a lot of cheap locks are easy enough to break open. I reckon a ...more

I know but I’m saying it’s still a decent deterrent. A bike thief may have the tools but that’s like saying they might also have a cordless grinder on them… They’d have to be actively looking for this sort of thing, in which case you’d be screwed no matter what lock you used, vs. some dickhead that just saw bike and has no respect for other peoples property and decides to take it on a whim/too lazy to walk home

Those locks are more durable than you think. when people actually rode street around here we’d lock our bikes up and weren’t gentle at all. They’d fall, and put a lot of stress on the cable (mine actually had a kink in it for awhile from that) but be fine. I’m sure if someone sat there and yanked on it for awhile it would damage it, but by then I’m already back out of the store cause like I said I only use these when I’m popping into a store for less than 30 seconds

The only thing I’d be worried about is using it in a sketchy area where thieves are more prominent or smarter. And if watching Lockpicking Lawyer videos on YouTube have taught me anything, it’s that even the higher security locks can usually be bypassed without a key or lockpick in less time than it takes to use the key/combination using a pin or hit them in the right area if you know what you’re doing.

|

5/30/2021 3:34 AM

jibsercise wrote: Photodirector forks
IndianaTom wrote:

You just don’t appreciate the era of that fork yet

I always wanted directors with brake mounts

|

It’s all bmx