Bad decisions?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/13/2017 5:33 AM

Anyone else here think they want something, buy it, then realise they don't want it after all?
I bought new bars last month (8.5 the make damned), gave my old bars to a friend, then decided I wanted my old bars back, and gave him the new ones. The new ones are too low for him so I bought some 9" bsd bars for him (to trade for my newer bars, that I won't use, and his old bars that I also won't use).

And I bought a united tru frame the other day. It was delivered this morning. I built it up, decided I don't want it (without even riding it properly, just a quick roll in a car park). And built my old bike back up again. Luckily I already have a buyer for the frame.

I also bought a sprocket and a seat last week, second hand and cheap, but I don't want either of them.

I don't know what's wrong with me. I certainly can't afford it. And now I'm out of pocket. Lel!

Anyway, here's the tru frame built up. I stole the brake off my sons bike. And broke my barend trying to take it out. Waste of time and money, even though it's a badass frame

|

4/13/2017 7:49 AM

Methinks you'll be able to kick the remainder of this stuff down the road, no problem. Or just keep it around! Put it on your son's bike? Hell, you stole his brake. You must atone for that.

|

4/13/2017 7:53 AM

Mid life crisis man! I did the same thing a year ago. Found my high school dream bike fram (a 95 haro group 1) on kijiji. Spent too much building it up. Then immediately realized it's not that big of a deal to me.

Just be glad we had our mid life crisis's with bikes and not cars. How much out of pocket would we be then!

|

4/13/2017 8:01 AM

GMGuinn wrote:

Methinks you'll be able to kick the remainder of this stuff down the road, no problem. Or just keep it around! Put it on your son's bike? Hell, you stole his brake. You must atone for that.

Haha, his bike would be awesome if he rode it enough to justify it. He's only on an 18", it's already got an animal seat and redneck xlt on it, and I swapped the sprocket for a 23t so it's easier for his little legs.

I think it's because I know how/what I want to ride but I just don't. I love trails but I don't have the balls for it and there's non local enough for me to take it seriously, and I hate the feeling of brakes on a bike. My bikes perfect for what I actually ride, I just need to learn to leave it alone!

I want the smaller bars on my bike, but my shoulders don't agree with it

|

4/13/2017 8:11 AM

Meh ... its only money , there's more each month...

|

4/13/2017 8:40 AM

7plymaple wrote:

Mid life crisis man! I did the same thing a year ago. Found my high school dream bike fram (a 95 haro group 1) on kijiji. Spent too much building it up. Then immediately realized it's not that big of a deal to me.

Just be glad we had our mid life crisis's with bikes and not cars. How much out of pocket would we be then!

Haha, my wife says my hair is my mid life crisis. I had a shaved head since I was 17 and started growing it a couple of months ago

|

4/13/2017 9:55 AM

what are the bars u have on the bike in the pic? they look nice

|

4/13/2017 9:57 AM

They're my fbm bars, 9" rise, I prefer the feel of the lower bars but my shoulders are killing me!

|

4/13/2017 10:37 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

Haha, his bike would be awesome if he rode it enough to justify it. He's only on an 18", it's already got an animal seat and redneck xlt on it, and I swapped the sprocket for a 23t so it's easier for his little legs.

I think it's because I know how/what I want to ride but I just don't. I love trails but I don't have the balls for it and there's non local enough for me to take it seriously, and I hate the feeling of brakes on a bike. My bikes perfect for what I actually ride, I just need to learn to leave it alone!

I want the smaller bars on my bike, but my shoulders don't agree with it

Leave your bike alone? Haha, never gonna happen! And I base that entirely on my inability to leave my bike alone.

|

4/13/2017 10:51 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/13/2017 10:54 AM

I think we all have these moments, regardless of how expensive/effective a part is.

Recently I put my straight cable back on myself, rode it for a few hours, and found I didn't like it anymore even though the day before I was burning with desire to put it on.

I still find myself wanting to got for a street setup every time I see Alex Donnachie or Kriss Kyle, then don't want to after I watch park edits that I love. IDK anymore, haha. I'll just stick to park and light street, I find it more fun in the long run.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

4/13/2017 11:20 AM

It is tempting to want to get new things just have to make sure its for the right reasons and not just bc you have a little extra $ at the end of the pay period. But will say it is fun to get new stuff! And freshen up the rig

I recently did this last year when I upgraded my hubs, cranks and rims to all profile/sun. Spent alot of $ I wish I had saved only to take the hubs off a week later and then bought a second hubset! My bike rode just fine before and is only marginally better due to having the newer parts. The one saving grace is the resale value on this "like new" stuff that was only ridden for a bit. So at least you have that going for you.

Also, you are learning/experimenting with new setups to see what works best for you, which is good for getting your rig set up just perfect.

|

Dax in Miami

I ride for:
Reklamation Bikes (Colorado)
London Bikes (Texas)

4/13/2017 1:11 PM

My bike is dialled though. There's a couple of bits I want or will need soon (my front hub has the infamous profile wobble, and my cranks could do with being replaced before they fall apart), but I still find myself spending money I don't really have on shit I don't really want. I've got 5 seats now! And keep wanting to go back to the fbm (the first I owned out of the 5!). And I've owned 6 stems and 7 pairs of bars in the last 2 years! Luckily most of what I buy is second hand.

Making bad decisions in life in general is one thing I'm pretty good at though.....

|

4/13/2017 1:35 PM

Dammmm steve i wanted that frame lol

|

4/13/2017 3:49 PM

I've done that with about 4 pairs of grips, but they're cheap so it doesn't matter as much. Hasn't really happened to me that much.

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

4/13/2017 3:50 PM

Self control!! Hahaha

|

4/13/2017 4:13 PM

I'm that guy , or was . I look at parts almost daily .

I find that's it's good to buy parts and experiment with what you like , and try new things . Plus it keeps the bike dialled and makes you want to ride more haha ! Once you figure out what you like , you kind of slow down I find . My most drastic change in my bike in the last year was a taller seatpost and that was 25$ . There's no need to go out and buy a 700$ Z - Coaster just because you're curious of how it is .

My friend Jon AKA Topsey buys parts like literally every week or 2 ( no joking ) , he has a museum of parts ... it's sick that he enjoys all the products ! But having a nice car , good food , and going out is nice too .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

4/13/2017 4:15 PM

I used to be that guy with Ebay-finding killer deals all the time.

Now I just look, and rarely buy. Priorities change when you have a wife and kid along with being a homeowner.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

4/13/2017 5:56 PM

You bought a custom frame then shortly after bought another one?

|

4/13/2017 7:40 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

oh man i have like 2 other forks still unsold. Im not even sure if I wanna sell them. And 2 other cranks in 165 and 180. Still thinking whether I wanna use them or not.

|

4/13/2017 11:04 PM

Coopers25 wrote:

Yep, some people have 2 whole entire bikes, crazy eh?

I got the tru extremely cheap, knowing that a friend also wanted it. Before I even paid for the frame he said he'd buy it if I didn't want it. And the reason I bought it is because I wanted to ride trails.

|