Badge almost finished... take a look

Related:
Create New Tag

4/12/2018 12:41 PM

LS1982 wrote:

I saw this video on YouTube a while back. The guy builds his own bikes but in this one he makes badges.
Head Tube Badge

Not ...more

Ha.... Well, I can tell you this... if I were in the business of head tube badge making & that were the only method of making them, I'd probably charge people $50-$100 per badge! LOL. VERY labor intensive.

|

5/26/2018 8:02 AM

Almost done. Will have a finished product come Tuesday (hopefully). Anyone got an idea for affixing to the frame? Thinking maybe thin double-sided 3m.tape... Trimmed to size with an exacto knife? Thoughts?

|

5/26/2018 8:23 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Almost done. Will have a finished product come Tuesday (hopefully). Anyone got an idea for affixing to the frame? Thinking ...more

This is what i have done on my shield badges on last 2 builds. With a sharp blade and patience, you can get a good result.

|

If you build it, they will come

5/26/2018 8:24 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Almost done. Will have a finished product come Tuesday (hopefully). Anyone got an idea for affixing to the frame? Thinking ...more

3m sounds good to me, especially if the badge is a nice fit on the headtube. I used some 1mm thick 3m foam sticky thing for my fbm badge, the badge isn't a good snug fit so I needed it a bit thicker to take up some room

|

5/26/2018 9:08 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

LS1982 wrote:

This is what i have done on my shield badges on last 2 builds. With a sharp blade and patience, you can get a good result.

Did you get my private message?

|

5/26/2018 9:20 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Did you get my private message?

Yea I replied, did you not get it?? Email me lancespencer1982 at Hotmail dot com

|

5/26/2018 9:38 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

3m sounds good to me, especially if the badge is a nice fit on the headtube. I used some 1mm thick 3m foam sticky thing for my ...more

Exactly what I had done while doing the headtube badge (link is here from 3 years back- it had to come off).

3M double sided-VHB structural glazing tape is the best one IMO. It's thin as heck, never comes off, and damn easy to cut with a scalpel knife.

@Mishinn_Control, how did you do that? My guess is CNC'ed on a mill, although laser cutting could be a possibility.

Just curious, my current bike really needs a headtube.

I have an idea, will try it out at the workshop in a few weeks, but in case that doesn't work out... how much for an international shipment tongue ?

|

It doesn't matter where a train goes. It's decidin' to get on that does.

5/26/2018 11:15 AM

Looks amazing!

|

5/26/2018 11:29 AM

I’m actually in the processes of getting my S&M Bonesaw sanded and prepped for a custom paintjob . I’d be interested in purchasing one of those badges if you do actually go through with producing them .

I don’t think people understand how crazy doing that shit is , machinists / CNC dudes know their shit haha

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/26/2018 4:17 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

3m sounds good to me, especially if the badge is a nice fit on the headtube. I used some 1mm thick 3m foam sticky thing for my ...more

Skylight wrote:

Exactly what I had done while doing the headtube badge (link is here from 3 years back- it had to come off).

3M double ...more

I used a waterjet.

|

5/29/2018 6:52 AM

Ok.... Last thoughts..... polished or brushed?

Photo Photo Photo

The brushed finish looks a lot better in person. The picture doesn't do it justice.The polished finish is near chrome but isn't perfect... & perfection is tough when polishing something of this size & intricacy.

|

5/29/2018 7:01 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Ok.... Last thoughts..... polished or brushed?

Photo Photo Photo

The brushed finish looks a lot better in person. The picture doesn't do it ...more

Man, they both look good! If you have chrome parts on your build, I'd do the polished, if you don't have chrome parts on your build, then I'd use the brushed...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/29/2018 7:01 AM

Damn man, that looks so good. It looks like some fine jewelry that a bmx pimp would wear on a chain.

I vote brushed.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

5/29/2018 7:16 AM

Is your frame a Matt or gloss finish? I would go brushed with gloss and chrome with matt

|

Hmmm

5/29/2018 7:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/29/2018 7:31 AM

My bike(s) is/are trans gold(gloss)/black. Thinking the brushed is the way to go.

|

5/29/2018 7:31 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

My bike(s) is/are trans gold(gloss)/black. Thinking the brushed is the way to go.

Agreed! They both look awesome but brushed on the front of my Trans Gold btm would look spot on!! Good work brother

|

5/30/2018 5:45 AM

First "formed" badge Photo

|

5/30/2018 6:55 AM

That's badass. If I had an s&m I'd want one!

|

5/30/2018 7:21 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Looks great, get it on your steed! Did you heat it up to help with forming?

|

5/30/2018 7:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 7:24 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

That's badass. If I had an s&m I'd want one!

I'm going to be the voice of reason here Steve.
Don't buy an S&M so that you can put one of these on it.
Just don't, because we all know you were thinking it. smile

|

Hmmm

5/30/2018 7:40 AM

Edman123 wrote:

I'm going to be the voice of reason here Steve.
Don't buy an S&M so that you can put one of these on it.
Just don't, ...more

It would look terrible on a Credence anyway Steve, no one wants to see that mate. Don’t do it? whistling

|

5/30/2018 8:25 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2018 8:27 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

LS1982 wrote:

Looks great, get it on your steed! Did you heat it up to help with forming?

No. No heat. I used a piece of aluminum tubing with approx. 1-5/8" ID (41.275 mm) cut in half as a forming die & a 1.5" (38.1 mm) piece of steel as an anvil. I clamped the badge to the steel piece with a soft jaw clamp & used a rubber mallet to begin forming it. Once it was in the general shape, I then turned it over & laid it into the aluminum (aluminium.... wink ) die & used the steel to form it to the final badge shape. I then took it to a belt sander & lightly sanded the high spots formed while bending. I'll see about trying to make a video of the process but that sort of thing is sorta frowned upon at work.

|

5/30/2018 9:31 AM

I wouldn't say no to a MOD. But what I was really thinking was if Mishinn could make a badass fbm badge :D

|

5/30/2018 10:13 AM

I absolutely love this thing.

|

5/30/2018 11:14 AM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Dear Mishinn,

TEN out of TEN

WOULD BUY.

I agree! I have been making rings out of cut bar pieces for years but this is a different level

|

5/30/2018 12:43 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Dear Mishinn,

TEN out of TEN

WOULD BUY.

Gack2000 wrote:

I agree! I have been making rings out of cut bar pieces for years but this is a different level

Thanx! & Thanx everyone for your input and kind words. It was/is a labor of love. Of course, my OCD is both a curse and a blessing on stuff like this. But I appreciate your support.

|

5/30/2018 12:52 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Dear Mishinn,

TEN out of TEN

WOULD BUY.

Gack2000 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Thanx! & Thanx everyone for your input and kind words. It was/is a labor of love. Of course, my OCD is both a curse and a ...more

Just going to throw it in here. I bet if you like doing stuff like this people would probably buy them. Just a little food for thought. Never know you have talent you could make some money doing something like this for multiple companies and selling them. They are 1 off too so even better

|

5/31/2018 2:09 PM

Didn't have time to finish up install completely as I had to run to a meeting (alcohol is a bitch... Lol) but you get the idea, right?

Before:
Photo
After:
Photo

|

5/31/2018 2:12 PM

That looks rad man! I like it alot! Good job!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

5/31/2018 2:14 PM

It's almost painful how cool that looks. Absolutely LOVE the contrast of aluminum vs the trans gold. Just perfect.

|