Bag recommendations?

Related:
Create New Tag

4/16/2018 6:24 PM

I'm looking for a decent backpack. I've only ever used the cinch ones Danscomp used to give for free and would just throw my GoPro & handle in there, but now that I have a DSLR I kinda wanna get a better one with padding. The camera kit I got came with a small camera bag, but it's not a backpack... more akin to a purse haha so not good for riding with, and it barely fits in my current cinch bag.

so I'm looking for a bag I could either:

A- just throw my current camera bag inside along with my GoPro bag/some tools/drinks/etc

or

B- has compartments for that stuff already, and includes other pockets for like a tool compartment/etc

I don't really wanna pay a shit ton though, I saw the Shadow x Greenfilms one but I'm not really trying to spend that much unless it's absolutely worth it. It looks good just because I could just ditch my smaller bag altogether but idk.

I was looking at the Shadow Session and Odyssey Monogram ones, but have no idea if they could fit my current camera bag (it's a little over a foot wide) and I don't really like that the Shadow's "Camera pocket" just shows the cameras thrown in there so I'm leaning more towards the Odyssey. Anyone have either of those or any other recommendations? Preferably bmx brand, I can get them cheaper through the bike shop

|

4/16/2018 8:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/16/2018 8:03 PM

Kata BP-502 backpack. I have one and I was able to put a Sony HXR-NX5 and a Canon 70D with 3 other lenses (50mm prime, 10-17mm, 10-22mm) and all the chargers and extra batteries.

Fucking heavy as shit and I wonder how the fuck I skated all over Bangkok with that thing on my back.

I also have a Lowepro backpack thats a double compartment, the bottom fits a DSLR with a lens attached, an extra lens (at most 2), extra batteries and charger, and the cleaning supplies. Also theres straps to fit the tripods. You can put clothes in there.

Id reccomend you look at Lowepro and Kata.

Edit: Ah shit I skimmed through your post and didnt read the last sentence.

|

4/16/2018 9:40 PM

thairishguy wrote:

Kata BP-502 backpack. I have one and I was able to put a Sony HXR-NX5 and a Canon 70D with 3 other lenses (50mm prime, 10-17mm, 10-22mm) and all the chargers and extra batteries.

Fucking heavy as shit and I wonder how the fuck I skated all over Bangkok with that thing on my back.

I also have a Lowepro backpack thats a double compartment, the bottom fits a DSLR with a lens attached, an extra lens (at most 2), extra batteries and charger, and the cleaning supplies. Also theres straps to fit the tripods. You can put clothes in there.

the Kata seems a bit overkill haha the Lowepro seems like a better bet, I'll look into it if I don't get one through the shop. Do you know which model it is? it sounds about what I'm looking for. Just need something to hold my camera shit in place and won't damage it but also has room to toss my GoPro, handle, tools, possibly other stuff as well

|

4/17/2018 12:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2018 12:59 AM

Depends how much gear you want to take. I've got a lowepro bp150 for my camera and stuff. It fits everything I've got inside, and I use the straps on the side to carry a tripod one side and c handle the other. I can fit my tools in there too. But that's it.
It was about £40, not the biggest or nicest looking they had, but big enough and does the job.

|

4/17/2018 7:14 AM

This is what you need. It's 2 bags in one. Your camera, lenses, chargers, cleaning kit, etc goes in the compartmented section with adjustable padding and dividers.

Then that whole section removes from the actual "bookbag" portion of the bag, leaving you with either just asmaller padded camera bag with body and lenses, a completely empty backpack for whatever you want, or both.

I've travelled to the Southwest, Florida, California, Mexico, Spain, France, and all over the Northeast US and this bag has never once frustrated or failed me. I swear by it.

Plus I've had it for 4 years and it still looks brand new.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/backpacks/photography-backpacks/sequence-33l-backpack/

Photo

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

4/17/2018 7:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2018 7:37 AM

Photo
|

It’s all bmx

4/17/2018 7:42 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I'm looking for a decent backpack. I've only ever used the cinch ones Danscomp used to give for free and would just throw my GoPro & handle in there, but now that I have a DSLR I kinda wanna get a better one with padding. The camera kit I got came with a small camera bag, but it's not a backpack... more akin to a purse haha so not good for riding with, and it barely fits in my current cinch bag.

so I'm looking for a bag I could either:

A- just throw my current camera bag inside along with my GoPro bag/some tools/drinks/etc

or

B- has compartments for that stuff already, and includes other pockets for like a tool compartment/etc

I don't really wanna pay a shit ton though, I saw the Shadow x Greenfilms one but I'm not really trying to spend that much unless it's absolutely worth it. It looks good just because I could just ditch my smaller bag altogether but idk.

I was looking at the Shadow Session and Odyssey Monogram ones, but have no idea if they could fit my current camera bag (it's a little over a foot wide) and I don't really like that the Shadow's "Camera pocket" just shows the cameras thrown in there so I'm leaning more towards the Odyssey. Anyone have either of those or any other recommendations? Preferably bmx brand, I can get them cheaper through the bike shop

Keep in mind that DLSR bags are often going to be pretty heavy (any that are intended for DLSR and have padding), so don't expect to do tricks with one of these bags on your back. My step mother is a photographer and her bag weighs probably more than my dyno detour did, however she's a professional (as in, gets paid to do it. She's photographed famous people and their events before), so she's got several different lenses in her bag too, sometimes two cameras.
Photography's weird like that, mkay?

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

4/17/2018 7:44 AM

I understand the struggle, ive owned shadow bags(they all rip), many on brand and off brand bags but the Tenba bag in this link is by far the best bag i've owned for bmx and urban exploring. Its got straps to support while riding and its small enough to squeeze through tight cracks into buildings.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671081-REG/Tenba_638_294_Messenger_Series_Photo_Laptop_Daypack.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C92051677682%2C%2C&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbIU54OKZJJuTJsG3NeF0FnCP4MihUydoTWWnaT39LndCgdenI9eCAoaAki8EALw_wcB

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

4/17/2018 1:34 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

Keep in mind that DLSR bags are often going to be pretty heavy (any that are intended for DLSR and have padding), so don't expect to do tricks with one of these bags on your back. My step mother is a photographer and her bag weighs probably more than my dyno detour did, however she's a professional (as in, gets paid to do it. She's photographed famous people and their events before), so she's got several different lenses in her bag too, sometimes two cameras.
Photography's weird like that, mkay?

Oh I wouldn’t chance doing tricks with it on anyway just cause there’s camera shit in there haha but yeah true, I just have the one camera and a couple lenses, tripod, GoPro and handle, but I can see how the weight would add up.

|

4/17/2018 1:35 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

This is what you need. It's 2 bags in one. Your camera, lenses, chargers, cleaning kit, etc goes in the compartmented section with adjustable padding and dividers.

Then that whole section removes from the actual "bookbag" portion of the bag, leaving you with either just asmaller padded camera bag with body and lenses, a completely empty backpack for whatever you want, or both.

I've travelled to the Southwest, Florida, California, Mexico, Spain, France, and all over the Northeast US and this bag has never once frustrated or failed me. I swear by it.

Plus I've had it for 4 years and it still looks brand new.

https://www.dakine.com/en-us/bags/backpacks/photography-backpacks/sequence-33l-backpack/

Photo

over $200 though

|

4/17/2018 1:37 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Depends how much gear you want to take. I've got a lowepro bp150 for my camera and stuff. It fits everything I've got inside, and I use the straps on the side to carry a tripod one side and c handle the other. I can fit my tools in there too. But that's it.
It was about £40, not the biggest or nicest looking they had, but big enough and does the job.

that looks about what I want! and it’s in stock in a store nearby so I can look at it, I’ll definitely have to check that out thanks!

|

4/17/2018 1:39 PM

Brokenbmx wrote:

I understand the struggle, ive owned shadow bags(they all rip), many on brand and off brand bags but the Tenba bag in this link is by far the best bag i've owned for bmx and urban exploring. Its got straps to support while riding and its small enough to squeeze through tight cracks into buildings.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671081-REG/Tenba_638_294_Messenger_Series_Photo_Laptop_Daypack.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C92051677682%2C%2C&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbIU54OKZJJuTJsG3NeF0FnCP4MihUydoTWWnaT39LndCgdenI9eCAoaAki8EALw_wcB

that’s exactly what I want one for haha I went into an abandoned building the other day and the shitty cinch bag I had flopped around too much… can’t imagine having to run or ride with it. I’ll go with that one for sure if the one Steve posted isn’t in stock, they’re both pretty much exactly what I’m looking for

|

4/17/2018 2:00 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

over $200 though

Every time I've had someone say that or ask "You paid how much?!?!" I mention the MSRP on the body, lenses, and laptop that the bag protects. IMO $200 isn't much to pay for protecting upwards of $4k in gear.

|

4/17/2018 3:35 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

Every time I've had someone say that or ask "You paid how much?!?!" I mention the MSRP on the body, lenses, and laptop that the bag protects. IMO $200 isn't much to pay for protecting upwards of $4k in gear.

that’s fair though, I get the why but I just couldn’t justify it at this point cause my entire equipment (camera, lenses, tripod) were from a $400 kit… add in the GoPro and it’s probably $600-$700 tops… still pricey, but not enough to wanna justify spending that much ya know?

|

4/17/2018 3:52 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

that’s fair though, I get the why but I just couldn’t justify it at this point cause my entire equipment (camera, lenses, tripod) were from a $400 kit… add in the GoPro and it’s probably $600-$700 tops… still pricey, but not enough to wanna justify spending that much ya know?

Ahh ok yeah if you’re only hauling that much, i can definitely see why you’d wanna stay under $200

|

4/17/2018 6:54 PM

thairishguy wrote:

sundaybmxRR wrote:

the Kata seems a bit overkill haha the Lowepro seems like a better bet, I'll look into it if I don't get one through the shop. Do you know which model it is? it sounds about what I'm looking for. Just need something to hold my camera shit in place and won't damage it but also has room to toss my GoPro, handle, tools, possibly other stuff as well

Its the Fastpack 250 model.

|

4/18/2018 1:57 AM

This is my bag.

Photo

|

4/18/2018 5:16 AM

I'd personally go with the Gucci bag shown above

|

5/21/2018 8:23 AM

i dont know if you got a bag yet but i have an animal loud backpack and its big with lots of different pockets, no camera pocket though so you would have to see if yours would fit inside.

|

Hmmm