Balance Bike Experience

Related:
Create New Tag

3/17/2016 5:55 AM

What's up all you guys with little guys!

My son is turning two at the end of march, so I just picked him up a Verde Scout off Danscomp. I'm super stoked on it! My question is, have any of you guys had your kids ride a balance bike? I'm sure each child will be different with learning, but I'm just curious how they did with it. Do you think it really is THAT much more helpful then learning with training wheels?

Either way like I said I'm super stoked on it and it seems like a well built little bike for the price!

Check it out...

http://www.twowheelingtots.com/verde-scout/

|

If it ain't broke...

3/17/2016 9:33 AM

My son never had a balance bike, but I've heard from a lot of people most kids go straight from a balance bike to a bike without stabilisers. I guess it gives them more courage because they can't depend on the stabilisers to keep them upright. And in the process they learn to balance better. I've seen kids go ham on balance bikes, but my son's still not very confident on his bike without stabilisers

|

3/17/2016 11:36 AM

My son has one, got it for his first birthday, and he walks around "on" it pushing it some.

As to the benefits, it actually can aid in skipping training wheels all together. Obviously every kid learns differently, BUT from my shop experience kids would go ham on those things and then go right to a two wheeler. Parents at BMX tracks swear by em too.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/17/2016 12:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/17/2016 12:10 PM

Balance bike is the best way to learn a kid how to ride a bike.
Because they push to take speed, then learn to balance really well with their feet off the ground, then the day he'll try to ride a real bike, add pedaling will just be easy.
On a classic bike with "balance wheels" on both side of the rear wheel, kids learn to pedaling, but their balance is crap, most of them, lean on one side then pedal like this / so the day parents take off the balance wheels, kids do 10 feet then scratch, or are afraid about daddy not holding them while riding.
So balance bikes are really cool !

|

3/17/2016 12:14 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

My son never had a balance bike, but I've heard from a lot of people most kids go straight from a balance bike to a bike ...more

If your son has troubles on his current bikes without stabilizers, just take off his cranks for a few days (and stabilizers of course) and he will learn fast.

|

3/17/2016 10:28 PM

Balance bikes do work, cause it really is about the balance. CSB Thats obvious I know, but anyway one thing to relate:

What has worked for my 2 guys has been a MIX: we've done balance bikes, bikes with training wheels, and scooters. Scooters in particular helped a lot, because if they have trouble gliding they just step off

So if the balance bike doesn't work, it may just need to be "re"introduced a few times, and try a quality 3-wheel (2 at front) scooter.

Now my bigger son rides his 20" comfortably & my younger son is looking like he's bored with having his stabilizers on so he may make the move soon. You just don't know how quickly they'll pick it up- I've seen kids who seem to have great natural balance take a while. It's amazing when they first really make it happen though. True joy on a kid's face smile

|

Frmrly BmxBos
Ref: Robinson79, aaron.samuel.green

3/18/2016 5:19 AM

It's great to here all the positive results! I can't wait to get my son out riding this spring.

|

If it ain't broke...

3/18/2016 6:44 AM

My friends son went from a balance bike to a regular bike no problems and he is four i think.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

6/17/2019 8:06 PM

I have two kids: one aged 5, the other 2.5. They both started on the balance bike at 2 years old.
Thanks to the balance bike, the older child has been able to ride a bike without stabilizers since his 3rd birthday, but refuses to part with it as it's so much fun!
For more information about balance bike, I highly recommend this article:
why are balance bikes good?
Photo

|

6/17/2019 11:04 PM

Again with this? Stop it.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.