Balance Bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

11/21/2019 11:43 PM

Hi all, as some of you know I have a young daughter. Whenever she sees me on my bike she always gets excited and wants to sit on it. One of my big dreams as a parent is to be able to take her to the skatepark with me when it's quiet so I've been considering getting her a balance bike. She is currently 18 months old so probably still a bit young but I'm curious as to what ages any of you might recommend to give a child their first (balance) bike? https://www.sourcebmx.com/products/jet-bmx-12-yoof-balance-bike?variant=20032851247215

|

11/21/2019 11:49 PM

I'm also curious. I was looking at eastern's push balance bike and strider.

|

11/22/2019 4:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2019 4:11 AM

My oldest got his for his first birthday (strider brand), and as soon as he was walking we were letting him check it out inside the house. He hit about 18 months and was outside riding with me. We got him a helmet and I wore (and still wear) mine 100% of the time I am riding any bike. He is 5 now, has 3 different pedal bikes and never touched training wheels.

My second son is 16ish months old and is starting to use it now.

I would say your kid is ready to check it out, just keep in mind at first they will basically just walk around over it, but eventually they start to sit down and scoot it.

I suggest slamming the seat low enough for them to walk over it if you can.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/22/2019 4:15 AM

I think my son was on his at two years old. Really helped with the transition to proper bike. Got him a 16” for his fourth birthday and he managed to pedal down the street with no trainer wheels first go. I attribute that to using the balance bike for two years.

|

Don’t put 25.4 bars in a 22.2 stem.

11/22/2019 12:46 PM

Thank you guys and thank you ts

|

11/24/2019 4:14 PM

18 months was a good age for us, she was ripping up the park right away and by the time she transitioned to pedals no training wheels were needed.

|

11/25/2019 12:13 AM

Brilliant thanks for all the replies my dudes

|