Bar height

Related:
Create New Tag

3/2/2016 2:12 AM

Photo
So, with this big bar fashion, and me growing up riding when 8" was considered big. I've been experimenting with different bar height recently. Maybe I'm over thinking it, when I was young we rode what we had. But this feels about the best out of what I've tried.
9" u.s.apes, and an upside-down pma stem.
I've also tried s&m hoder bars (8.625"), macneil silencer bars (I believe 8.5"), and a combination of these with an s&m credence stem.

The hoder bars with this stem the right way up felt good too, but I don't like the lack of upsweep on them. The silencers felt too low no matter what I done with them (which makes me think they might be smaller. They belong to a friend who left them at mine over a year ago), but they have nice sweep on them.
These bars are chopped a fair bit but I like short bars. And the sweep is perfect.
The credence stem has a slightly lower stack, but is also a bit longer. As much as I like a bit of room up front, I just didn't get on well with it. And the pma is pretty. The u.s.apes still felt a little too tall on the credence stem too.
At first I thought this combination would be too low. But with an extra 3mm of spacer underneath it still feels a bit higher than the silencers.
I'm yet to try the credence upside-down, might do that tonight with the u.s.apes and it should be a touch higher. Not sure if I want any higher though.
I'll have a good ride tonight if the wind dies down to see how I get on with this.

I know this probably all seems a bit too picky, and chances are no one will care. But my point of posting this is just to say don't buy big bars just because they're cool.
I'm 35 years old and 6' tall. And I ride street. The kind of rider you'd expect to want big bars I guess. But in all honesty, they hinder how I ride. Think about that and how big bars will have an effect on how you ride before getting them. The correct size bars is more important so don't just get the biggest (plus they look fucking retarded). Borrow a stem and different bars, and play around with it until you find a combination that suits how you ride.
And remember, not many pro's ride big bars, for a reason
|

3/2/2016 2:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/2/2016 12:43 PM

Just to add. This is all on an s&m 21" cam wood frame which has a 75 degree head angle (iirc) and 11.6" high bb. The geometry of your frame also makes a difference. But having an 11.8" high bb won't justify needing bars 2" higher.

I used to have a 21" cult osv3 with a Sunday topload and cult hawk 8.5" bars. With an extra 2mm or so stack of spacers under the stem. That felt good to me too

|

3/2/2016 11:35 AM

Is the BB actually that low, or is that the standover?

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/2/2016 12:43 PM

11.6! My bad

|

3/2/2016 1:00 PM

Not trying to threadjack but I run 10" Raider bars with a frontload . I want to switch to a topload again and try it , and get a slight more raise then 10" bars and a frontload , but not much .

I'm thinking of trying 9.85 Fit Savage bars with a Cult topload ... will that be somewhat taller than 10" bars and a frontload or about the same ? I believe it would be higher slightly. How much would I notice straight gauge tubing in thoughts to stiffness ? And what about 4 degrees upsweep ? Working retail and pallets and shit for about 50 hours a week kills my back and wrists , hence the taller bars , not sure how I'd like a taller upsweep .

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/2/2016 2:40 PM

Personally I love upsweep. It will probably be a bit taller, and you'll probably notice it if you're used to your bars how they are.

I can't hop high with big bars, and everything else it just feels like the front end is too high. I preferred 9" with my stem the right way up for cruising about. But when it actually comes to riding everything felt sketchy and unstable. That's when you notice the difference most (I did anyway), that difference between riding to work, or riding at a spot and how it effects tricks

|

3/2/2016 5:10 PM

I'm not a fan of this big bar trend. It's cool if they help your riding and you need them but most people don't. I'm 5'9" and ride 8.3 no spacers and a topload. I've rode as big as 8.75 and didn't like it at all. I've rode as small as 7" bars I can adjust to anything but 8-8.3" as been my favorite. And I hate wide bars so I always cut mine down to about 24-26"

|

45 refs and counting check profile.

3/2/2016 6:42 PM

Four wrote:

I'm not a fan of this big bar trend. It's cool if they help your riding and you need them but most people don't. I'm 5'9" and ...more

90's life

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

3/2/2016 6:56 PM

Four wrote:

I'm not a fan of this big bar trend. It's cool if they help your riding and you need them but most people don't. I'm 5'9" and ...more

This so much. If I had $1 for every 5ft tall kid at the park with 30"x10" bars who could barely even maneuver their own bikes... I'd be rich haha

I'm about your height with 8.66" tall x 26" wide with no spacers & a front load stem. I feel like it helps give you more pop when hopping things too but that's just me. I can't stand wide bars either cause I ride my hands all the way at the ends closest to the bar ends. I tried letting them go at 28" wide when I got the bars, but my arms felt too far out so I hacked an inch off each end and they felt great. Also tried a top load stem awhile back, felt too far up so after a week or 2 I got rid of it.

All my friends always say my bike feels too small but I'm not exactly a tall motherfucker with hulking shoulders either haha. It's funny to me cause they all ride like 28" or 29" wide bars but ride their hands in towards the crossbar which would actually even out to riding about the same width as I do anyway since I ride my hands out

|

3/2/2016 7:22 PM

Four wrote:

Back in late 90s early 00s those would be considered HUGE. I recall commonly seeing 6.5 rise bars cut to like 22 wide.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

3/2/2016 8:30 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

Back in late 90s early 00s those would be considered HUGE. I recall commonly seeing 6.5 rise bars cut to like 22 wide.

Yup the bars on my first bike were about 5 inch rise and 24 wide. My first real after market bars were 7.3 and cut to about 21-22 wide with a frontload haha.

|

3/2/2016 8:59 PM

I like my 10"s Photo

|

3/2/2016 10:45 PM

Maybe it's easier to learn with big bars? The same as having a shorter chainstay. I just find I can't hop or pull the front end up how I want because my hands are already half way to where I want them to be. Plus the lack of stability. With pedal feebles, it feels like tall bars are right by my chest so I can't hop out properly. Must be the same with peg tricks?

I can't x up anymore either, I think that's down to bigger bars. Like they get in the way and you can't pull the front end toward you, because it's already there.
Each to their own though

|

3/2/2016 11:05 PM

That's prolly why I can't hop that high

|

3/2/2016 11:28 PM

At 6'3" I prefer the 10" Fu-bars I'm using vs the 9" Hoder high bars I had before. If I was 3" shorter I would probably use the Hoder High's, but i'm not... Hops and tricks didn't change at all between the two, just felt more comfortable.

I've never been on 20" bike that felt "too tall", but my current set-up has me not wanting anymore, or less upsweep/ rise. I do want to cut them down to 28", but I wanted to do the same on the 9's as well.

Retarded 10's tongue
Photo

Photo

Vs. Classy & sophisticated 9's
Photo

|

3/3/2016 12:15 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

This so much. If I had $1 for every 5ft tall kid at the park with 30"x10" bars who could barely even maneuver their own ...more

Yeah dude the pop with smaller and more narrow bars is a lot better. My bars came at 29 and I hated it, plus it made tricks like barspins a lot harder than necessary. I'd run 8.5 at the biggest and I've thought about switching back to a frontload. I always held my bars far inward pretty much at the bends since I learned with smaller bars Medium bars are where it's at haha. Then again I understand if someones tall 8" bars aren't the best option. Little kids on giant bikes look silly though.

|