Bar size + Chainstay Length

Related:
Create New Tag

2/15/2018 7:25 PM

So this topic has been on my mind for a while, and I only stared to think about it when I built up my eastern dragon, which has a 14.25 chainstay slammed (I run it at about 14.5). So say i’ve got that 14.5 chainstay with 8.25” bars up front, that’s going to make it one hell of a lot harder to pull up, no? So a little bit later i throw on some 9.5” bars, which when paired with the 14.5” chainstay, made an amazing combo! Manuals felt super locked in, and hopping felt very nice.

So say you’ve got a 12.5 chainstay and you’re running 10” bars, you’re nearly bound to get no pop out of any of yours hops. But if you were to ride a pair of 8” bars on that 12.5” chainstay however...

Which nearly brings me to my main point - Tall bars + Long chainstay = Ideal. And shortbars + short chainstay = ideal (this is just my opinion, everyone’s got one.)

Now I ask you this question: What is your bar height and chainstay length?

(Now i get that there are many other factors that could change the way your bike rides, but this is the one i’m focusing on for now).

|

“Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen”
-Indiana Tom

2/15/2018 7:52 PM

I ride 12.5 with 8” bars but I’m looking to get atleast 9” bars

|

2/15/2018 8:08 PM

I ride 9"s and a 13.6" chainstay, I also have a 35mm rise stem, and about 14mm of spacers, so 278mm, which is about 11" in total with a 13.6" chainstay.... I don't like super short backends, I feel that 13.6" is probably about average these days, and I think my bar height may be slightly above average height... but it feels good, high hops and good pops for me!

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

2/15/2018 8:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2018 8:33 PM

You’re correct . Went from 10” bars and a 13.5 CS , then 9.5” bars and a 13” CS which was way too poppy , back to a 13.6 CS and that’s the best .

I think it’s crazy with people running 9.75 bars with a 12.8 CS ... bananas

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

2/15/2018 9:09 PM

I ride 13.25cs with 10 bars 21.4 tt and I like it. I think I could go longer in the front but not the back

|

2/15/2018 9:27 PM

Never had a problem with long chainstay and short bars 15 years ago. But then again no one was doing hop whips.
12.5 CS with 10 inch bars would be crazy, lol.

|

2/15/2018 9:35 PM

I think you guys need to factor in tt length and bb height/standover

|

2/15/2018 9:57 PM

A friend of mine bought a bike from a guy, it was an alvx, 20.6" tt 12.75" cs and 8" something bars, it felt god damn small to me but it was a compact and "stable" ride for a smaller guy.
And then he put a 10" bar on it and it was unridable, looping out machine even for a small hop, you can't go high with such a setup.
He finnaly put the smaller bars back on after a few month and it feels better.

|

2/15/2018 10:23 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

You’re correct . Went from 10” bars and a 13.5 CS , then 9.5” bars and a 13” CS which was way too poppy , back to a 13.6 CS ...more

yeah there is no way i could ever do that... my buddy who rides a BSD ALVX runs like 8.65” bars with a slammed back end, and honestly that’s a good combo

|

-Indiana Tom

2/15/2018 10:23 PM

Yep, I've mentioned this theory before.
8.8 bars, frontload stem, my wheel sits about 13.5 in the chainstay
And on the steadfast I'll have 9" bars, frontload stem, and 13.75 chainstays (when slammed, still don't know where my wheel will be).

Bb height is also a factor. But my frames have very close geometry, other than the chainstay length

|

2/15/2018 10:24 PM

NateBrown62 wrote:

I ride 13.25cs with 10 bars 21.4 tt and I like it. I think I could go longer in the front but not the back

yup, top tube length and bottom bracket height certainly come into play, i just wanted to stick to the basics. i’ve run a 21” or longer top tube for the majority of my bmx career

|

-Indiana Tom

2/15/2018 10:27 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

And on the ...more

9” bars with 13.75” chainstay sounds like a lovely ride, that’s something i’d ride myself! the majority of my frames have the same headtube angle/seat tube angle/b.b. height/ standover height, top tubes vary not too much in size, but chainstay differences can be astronomical

|

-Indiana Tom

2/15/2018 10:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/15/2018 10:29 PM

jbales wrote:

Never had a problem with long chainstay and short bars 15 years ago. But then again no one was doing hop whips.
12.5 CS with ...more

on my eastern dragon build with the 14.5 chainstay, 8.25” bars just seemed best for it so that’s what i’ve got on their right now.

i would absolutely hate 12.5 with 10” bars, i’d run a long chainstay and short bars over short chainstay and tall bars any day of the year! (1,600th post btw)

|

-Indiana Tom

2/15/2018 10:30 PM

Francky wrote:

A friend of mine bought a bike from a guy, it was an alvx, 20.6" tt 12.75" cs and 8" something bars, it felt god damn small to ...more

10” bars on a chainstay that short would be an absolute nightmare. 8” on a 12.75” or even 8.5” would work out just fine.

|

-Indiana Tom

2/15/2018 10:56 PM

I am in the low bars short chainstays = ideal category, even if the measurements sounds big, I'm a big guy at 6'1, I ride a 9" bars with 13.25" cs, on a 21.25" tt, I define my setup as long and low (so stable) the shorter cs is here to compensate and get a responsive feel.

I tried a 9" + bars with a high rise stem and spacers under on a 14" cs, great cruising bike, but too hard too manoeuver to get tech, and the too high bars makes me loses some bike control as much for going big than for tech riding.

|

2/16/2018 12:53 AM

13.9 chainstay 8.85 bars w/ frontload and no spacers so maybe 9 or so idk

|

@coupd_tat

2/16/2018 1:07 AM

13.2 Chainstay, 8" rise bars with a front load stem

|

2/16/2018 1:14 AM

13.75 with 9" bars on a high rise top load. I noticed the same thing when I had my Benny, with a 13.25 chainstay, I had 8.75 bars with a front load, which was probably about an inch shorter than what I'm riding now. Hops feel similar on both.

|

2/16/2018 2:48 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2018 2:50 AM

I'm on some 9.25 bars and a slammed 23mm rise stem, I'm not sure what stack height that is but I am considering adding a 5mm spacer under the stem. It feels perfect for street but I would like it to feel a little better in bowls.
Also I run my wheel at 13.5

|

Hmmm

2/16/2018 3:16 AM

I've got 8.50 bars, 13.50 chainstay and a top load stem with 32mm rise...... feels right to me.

|

If I could go a tenth as high as Larry Edgar goes, then I would still be blasting super high.

2/16/2018 3:31 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

And on the ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

9” bars with 13.75” chainstay sounds like a lovely ride, that’s something i’d ride myself! the majority of my frames have the ...more

Yeah, I'm hoping it'll feel fairly similar, but more glued to the ground at speed. The steadfast has a 45.25 ha with a 21.25 tt, my current frame is 45.5 with 21.15 tt. Bb height is the same, but the steadfast has a taller so. I'm hoping the chainstay length will make it harder to lift the front end, but the bar height will compensate

|

2/16/2018 5:02 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

And on the ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

9” bars with 13.75” chainstay sounds like a lovely ride, that’s something i’d ride myself! the majority of my frames have the ...more

But again... doesn't this all depend on TT size? Like you said, Dan, assuming a 21"tt...; but 13.75" chainstays, with 9" bars will be completely different on a 21.25" tt frame than a 20.5" tt frame.

|

2/16/2018 2:20 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

And on the ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

But again... doesn't this all depend on TT size? Like you said, Dan, assuming a 21"tt...; but 13.75" chainstays, with 9" bars ...more

very true, very true. my bike with a 14.5 chainstay has a 20.5 top tube, and i ran it with 9.5” bars. i just wanted to take one measurement out of the equation to make it similar

|

-Indiana Tom

2/16/2018 5:17 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

But again... doesn't this all depend on TT size? Like you said, Dan, assuming a 21"tt...; but 13.75" chainstays, with 9" bars ...more

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

very true, very true. my bike with a 14.5 chainstay has a 20.5 top tube, and i ran it with 9.5” bars. i just wanted to take ...more

I can't even try to manual my trails bike. It has 1" longer cs .1" longer tt and 1.25" shorter bars. Stable as can be but feels like shit riding street with it

|

2/16/2018 5:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/16/2018 5:55 PM

10" bars, 13.5" rear.

I agree with your main point. In a way, making bars taller and rears longer is the same bike as a short bar - short frame combo, it's just bigger in scale. Kindah... Guess it depends on rider size as well.

I'll stick with mine for a while since I've gotten used to it. In the near future, hopefully I'll have an all-around smaller frame with my 10" bar setup. smile

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

2/16/2018 7:00 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

So this topic has been on my mind for a while, and I only stared to think about it when I built up my eastern dragon, which ...more

I havent been riding for all that long but I have gone through many setups in my short time.

20.5-21" frames, different headtube angles, different chainstay lengths, different fork offsets, different bar heights, stem heights, etc.

Currently my favorite bike/setup is a 21" tt, 12.7 chainstay, 75.25 headtube, 25mm forks, 9.5 bars and a top load.

It feels great to me, very nimble and easy to throw around.

I personally felt my hops got higher with this setup than longer chainstays and shorter bars. Could be my inexperience, body type, mindset or a combo of all these things.

|

2/16/2018 8:50 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I ride 9"s and a 13.6" chainstay, I also have a 35mm rise stem, and about 14mm of spacers, so 278mm, which is about 11" in ...more

How is a 13.6 chainstay? I ride a 13.75 CS and I try to keep my wheel slammed at that number, but often it is just a hair off from being fully slammed. I have ridden a bike with a 21"t.t with 13.5 CS slammed and it felt pretty amazing. So I ask if you have had other frames with different CS lengths and comparing that to how easily you could have the rear wheel slammed despite chain type or gearing/tire size. In the worst way I want to carve out my dropouts to shorten up my CS... but just ranting, I might do so in the near future, There is some pretty good stuff about that topic right here on vital about it that seem fully legit. I still run 8.75 rise bars with a front loader

|

2/16/2018 11:22 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I ride 9"s and a 13.6" chainstay, I also have a 35mm rise stem, and about 14mm of spacers, so 278mm, which is about 11" in ...more

Shredkink9 wrote:

How is a 13.6 chainstay? I ride a 13.75 CS and I try to keep my wheel slammed at that number, but often it is just a hair off ...more

Feels good in my opinion. Honestly anything under 13.75 and over 12.75 feels decent..tried 12.75 on a fit Benny L frame and wasn't a huge fan..sure I could get used to it but it was to poppy. Then again it all depends on style that you ride. But with the bars you ride it shouldn't affect manuals too much and might help with spins. Just my opinion. My buddy is 5'10" and rides 20.75tt 13.75cs with a topload and 10" rise bars with barely any spacers so It sits lower than mine but he is better than me. Sometimes it's hard to give advice on certain things so really just try everything you can and run with what feels good to you. If it takes away from certain tricks just try harder at those

|

2/16/2018 11:39 PM

Back in my day we didn't even look that closely at geometry or bar height. Tt length was about the only thing you'd look at, or preference of frontload or topload. My s&m pbr had 14" chainstays, 11.8 bb height, 21 tt. I had 8" bars on a 23mm rise stem (I only know this from looking it up recently). I could hop that thing damn high, and had a lot more confidence when going fast at stuff. I'm pretty sure it was sub 30lbs, but definitely weighed more than the average modern bike.

I used to ride light street on a reynolds fresh 40 race frame. Only manuals and gaps, but it felt awesome

|

2/18/2018 3:25 PM

Went from 10" bars on a front load with a 13.8" CS. to 9.6" bars on top load with a 13.3" CS , things got more snappy for sure, my hops didn't suffer but they feel different. I miss that tall "pogo" kind of feel before the rear comes off the ground. Other than that, spins are easier and my manuals and hop-manuals feel way better.

|