Barspins - weird question

Related:
Create New Tag

6/8/2017 2:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/8/2017 2:21 AM

Hi Guys,

This is my first post!

I've been riding for just over a year now. I've got 180's, fakies, 360's flat, full cabs, half cabs, feebles, double pegs, smiths, manuals, rock to fakie, front diaster and a load of other tricks dialed.

About a week ago i learnt bunnyhop barspins, and almost have them on lock! (It's my favorite trick and beat myself right up to learn them, was worth it though!)

One weird question i have is i have to be in the mood to 'hop barspin' however, i can bar to fakie on a BANK every go, whether i'm in the mood or not. (perhaps due to me knowing i get more height when doing a bar to fakie on a bank).

So my question really is, is anyone else on here like this? do you get those days where you can hop bar consistently, and some days you just freeze even when you know you can bar like a star, because you're 'just not in the mood to bar'?

This is my first post, and any thoughts on the subject would be interesting to read.

I first learnt bars by tying an inner tube around my foot. Now i hop, level out and throw with ease. Apart from on those days where i'm 'not in the mood to bar' ...

Thanks!

|

6/8/2017 3:59 AM

i can't bar but i can kinda relate with 3s. i first fucked around with them sending em on a weird little dirt bank near my house to fake, and in a weird way thats kinda how i learned em

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

6/8/2017 4:04 AM

bmxfromma wrote:

i can't bar but i can kinda relate with 3s. i first fucked around with them sending em on a weird little dirt bank near my ...more

Thanks for the reply man. I also learnt 3's flat by doing them on a bank to fakie, it gives you that confidence i guess! Muscle memory plays a HUGE part with bars too (as with any trick, more so with bars imo) so i guess once that kicks in after doing so many, i'll be able to do them whenever.

|

6/8/2017 7:20 AM

kayos_bmx wrote:

Hi Guys,

This is my first post!

I've been riding for just over a year now. I've got 180's, fakies, 360's flat, full cabs, ...more

I think just being in a good mood or where you feel like your riding is progressing or whenever you accomplish something it makes you feel like you can do anything and you just try more things you haven't done before. I guess the same goes for everything.

I remember when I did something at the skatepark and it made my happy all day and I started trying shit I never would lol. When you do land stuff it's the best feeling ever.

I haven't landed bars yet but I've tried around 20-30. The closest I've been is both hands on and 1 foot off. I have always tried them flat as I can't seem to force myself to spin the bars out of a flyout or bank. I usually always take 1 foot off though but sometimes I just think fuck this I'm sending it. I can do pickup normal and switch bars with my eyes closed so I just have to commit for hops.

I hope to learn bars flat this year. You should give crankflips a go after you've got bars down. They're pretty easy but scary at first, I don't do them all the time but I can land one now and again when I try.

|

6/8/2017 12:07 PM

I have to be in the right mindset to not just cruise (I am 31 with 18+ years of riding now) and it is purely because I don't feel like getting hurt anymore.

I get up slower, things hurt longer/more, and I heal a bit slower.

Plus I ride a LOT less than I used to. Back in the day it was several hours a day, now I am lucky to get a few hours every couple weeks (cumulatively).

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/8/2017 12:23 PM

kayos_bmx wrote:

Hi Guys,

This is my first post!

I've been riding for just over a year now. I've got 180's, fakies, 360's flat, full cabs, ...more

JannyUK wrote:

I think just being in a good mood or where you feel like your riding is progressing or whenever you accomplish something it ...more

I guess you're right man. When I'm in the mood to ride I'm motivated to try new things, but when I'm not I kinda just do tricks for the sake of it.. I ride everyday, so perhaps a break every day or so will get me back up and motivated again.

As for crankflips, I had them on lock on a cassette but can't for the life of me do them on a coaster since I switched; I may re/learn them!

|

6/8/2017 12:24 PM

dave lawrence wrote:

I have to be in the right mindset to not just cruise (I am 31 with 18+ years of riding now) and it is purely because I don't ...more

I see where you're coming from Dave. I'm 22 and love riding, it helps me escape and do my own thing. But I understand what you mean.

I think I've just come to realise that if I'm not in the mood to ride, I'm not going to throw a bar for the sake of it.. bars really get to me as I know I can land them pretty much every throw, but sometimes overthink them. Happy riding mate!

|

6/8/2017 3:48 PM

I can bar but I suck because mine are switch. I can throw whenever but it's just landing them that fucks me over , I just need to dial them in and I should be good

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

6/8/2017 3:53 PM

It's tough too, because I see all these kids cranking stuff everywhere and I used to do a lot of it, and now it's like "well back in the day I was hammering that out like nothing...now it would probably kill me..."

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/8/2017 5:04 PM

Guys, is it harder to do barspins if you're tall?

|

Web Designer at Petstreetmall
"We are your pet supplies expert"

6/8/2017 11:31 PM

Diana Welch wrote:

Guys, is it harder to do barspins if you're tall?

I wouldn't have thought so providing you have a suitable frame size and bar height ..

|

6/9/2017 12:26 PM

That happens to me as well. Sometimes I go to the skatepark and I don't have a good feeling, I just try a few lines, 180s and that's all. And if I try something else it doesn't work, it's like feeling tired. Then other times I start riding normally and focusing on certain tricks and end up improving. My advice and what I've learnt over the years is that don't push yourself if you don't feel like doing a certain trick. One day I was having trouble with fly out 180s in a quarter pipe and I was kinda annoyed and ended up hurting my wirst. Then today I was feeling great and landed my first 360s (and I hadn't been riding for two weeks). By the way you have a cool trick list

|

6/10/2017 12:05 AM

Josh_GR wrote:

That happens to me as well. Sometimes I go to the skatepark and I don't have a good feeling, I just try a few lines, 180s and ...more

Thanks for the comment on my trick list bro, I've put all my spare time into progressing and I seem to be learning extremely fast (even though my bodies been bruised and beaten haha)
I know what you mean though, if I'm not in the mood to ride or do a certain trick I just won't do it for the sake of it ! You'll only get annoyed and it can put you off riding

|