Basic hub help !

Related:
Create New Tag

12/31/2013 6:47 PM

I suck at them , and chains.

Female axles = 14mm bolts?
Male axles = 17mm bolts?

Females are smaller , and don't stick out as much. And males stick out farther and have bigger bolts right?

But you can get shemales that can be like , a 14mm internal axle that 17mm bolts screw into? What's better for pegs? I always thought males but everyone says females. Is there really a huge difference? And why does it matter about the dropouts , 3/8th or 14 mm ? Fuck this shit I failed math twice so I really have no clue.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/31/2013 7:29 PM

this is a huge cluster fuck.

okay. female axles use either 14mm, 15mm, 17mm or 20mm internal axles, with 3/8" or 14" bolts that thread into the center axle, with bolt 17mm bolt heads that you use a 17mm wrench on to tighten it down.

male axles will either be 3/8" or 14mm, and use nuts with 17mm wrench flats to tighten down. (a lot of stock ones will use 15mm & 19mm nuts)

male axle is a long rod that goes all the way through the hub shell, with 2 nuts on both sides (giggity) male can be used front or rear

female axle is 1 of 3 variations

1: true female 3/8"
this is either a 14mm or 15mm center axle typically (but not limited to), and uses 3/8" bolts that thread into the center axle and requires 3/8" pegs and/or dropouts (or an adapter to fit 14mm) true female 3/8" is stronger than male 3/8", but weaker than 14mm male. true female 3/8" is what all female front hubs are (excluding some race hubs)

2: true female 14mm
this is either a 17mm or 20mm center axle, and uses 14mm bolts that thread into the center axle & require 14mm dropouts and/or pegs. true female 14mm is stronger than true female 3/8" & 14mm male

3: shemale 3/8"
shemale can come in 14mm or 15mm (probably more, I don't know offhand) center axles, and will always have a 14mm shoulder sticking out past the hardware on both sides (unlike the true female versions) that slide into the dropouts, with 3/8" bolts that thread into them. they are stronger than 3/8" male, weaker than 14mm male & true female 14mm, and I'm unsure how they stand up next to true 3/8" female but I would guess slightly stronger since less pressure is exerted on the bolt. shemale 3/8" requires 14mm dropouts, but 3/8" pegs.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

|

12/31/2013 7:41 PM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

this is a huge cluster fuck.

okay. female axles use either 14mm, 15mm, 17mm or 20mm internal axles, with 3/8" or 14" bolts that thread into the center axle, with bolt 17mm bolt heads that you use a 17mm wrench on to tighten it down.

male axles will either be 3/8" or 14mm, and use nuts with 17mm wrench flats to tighten down. (a lot of stock ones will use 15mm & 19mm nuts)

male axle is a long rod that goes all the way through the hub shell, with 2 nuts on both sides (giggity) male can be used front or rear

female axle is 1 of 3 variations

1: true female 3/8"
this is either a 14mm or 15mm center axle typically (but not limited to), and uses 3/8" bolts that thread into the center axle and requires 3/8" pegs and/or dropouts (or an adapter to fit 14mm) true female 3/8" is stronger than male 3/8", but weaker than 14mm male. true female 3/8" is what all female front hubs are (excluding some race hubs)

2: true female 14mm
this is either a 17mm or 20mm center axle, and uses 14mm bolts that thread into the center axle & require 14mm dropouts and/or pegs. true female 14mm is stronger than true female 3/8" & 14mm male

3: shemale 3/8"
shemale can come in 14mm or 15mm (probably more, I don't know offhand) center axles, and will always have a 14mm shoulder sticking out past the hardware on both sides (unlike the true female versions) that slide into the dropouts, with 3/8" bolts that thread into them. they are stronger than 3/8" male, weaker than 14mm male & true female 14mm, and I'm unsure how they stand up next to true 3/8" female but I would guess slightly stronger since less pressure is exerted on the bolt. shemale 3/8" requires 14mm dropouts, but 3/8" pegs.

Hopefully this clears things up for you.

That^^ If you dont get that you dont get life.

|

References: OneGuyIlluminatiEye, robinson79, Brian Griffin, The Horror Contact, StoreBoughtChild, C_Johnsonbmx, dkTechEthan, etc.

12/31/2013 8:06 PM

lmao my dog wrote an axle book, props.

|

Refs: 360Xuprider, Hatebreeder, MrHavoc1988


Email: Shanebaker6969@yahoo.com

!!!My Bike Check!!!

12/31/2013 11:03 PM

It's still a bit weird but thats why I asked. I really never know fuck all about hubs.

So you'd preferably want a true female front hub , which you said are basically all front hubs. What about the back? It seems a male would just be simplier than all those crazy female varieties. Why the hell are they so complicated? In all honesty I still don't remotely get the just hubs but I'm not trolling , I actually want to learn so thanks for the information.

To keep things basic, a male back hub and a true female 3/8th front is the most basic. So nearly all female AND male hubs use a 17mm socket tool to adjust , but the internals are what makes the difference.

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/31/2013 11:05 PM

I like a heterosexual bike, which I always prefer. I've had homosexual bikes, lesbian (both female hubs) and gay (both male hubs).

|

Latest Bike Check/Update





Bought from: adam1234, tomdon (2), oscarbmx, the balt, smokesmokesmoke

12/31/2013 11:11 PM

So having a female back hub be any weaker than having a male hub? Which are the most common type of female hubs used today? Any major difference between the female hubs?

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

12/31/2013 11:15 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

It's still a bit weird but thats why I asked. I really never know fuck all about hubs.

So you'd preferably want a true female front hub , which you said are basically all front hubs. What about the back? It seems a male would just be simplier than all those crazy female varieties. Why the hell are they so complicated? In all honesty I still don't remotely get the just hubs but I'm not trolling , I actually want to learn so thanks for the information.

To keep things basic, a male back hub and a true female 3/8th front is the most basic. So nearly all female AND male hubs use a 17mm socket tool to adjust , but the internals are what makes the difference.

I personally don't like riding female hubs in the back at all, because I don't trust the 3/8" bolts, and the hubs that do come in 14mm female, I don't really like that much. plus I think a male axle looks better in the back personally.

and yeah I think every female hub (besides profile which use allen keys, and tree which use sockets) have 17mm wrench flats on their bolts, just like every aftermarket hub uses nuts with 17mm wrench flats just for ease since 17mm is the standard nowadays.

|

12/31/2013 11:15 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

So having a female back hub be any weaker than having a male hub? Which are the most common type of female hubs used today? Any major difference between the female hubs?

No. The Ratchet is a female rear hub, and one of the strongest made.
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Sexy as hell too, with some thick ass flanges.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

Refs: Tito24, RiverSideRider, Stussy, Nettyspaghetti, Daniel24, Freddydapice, BrokenBMX, SuperstarDK, HardBMX_Tim. There's more, but I'm too lazy to look them up, haha.

1/1/2014 12:33 PM

Brayden_Buckingham wrote:

So having a female back hub be any weaker than having a male hub? Which are the most common type of female hubs used today? Any major difference between the female hubs?

Chuck8273 wrote:

No. The Ratchet is a female rear hub, and one of the strongest made.
[LINK TO IMAGE]
Sexy as hell too, with some thick ass flanges.
[LINK TO IMAGE]

since when has there been a 48 hole ratchet hub? only heard of a 36. they must be hard to come by

|

Welp, broke past 1000... yeeeee

My Youtube / RainBMX
My Insta / What_Is_Barspin