Bearing issue?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/13/2018 4:34 PM

Hello guys, so I took my bike in a couple months ago, and got some rear hub bearings replaced. It is a sealed hub with sealed bearings. I was riding around and realized it was kinda hard to pedal and almost impossible to keep my front end up when doing manuals, which I have dialed. My question is are they already siezed again? I greased them and they were still the same. Why do they keep going bad? Is there any way to prevent it from happening??

|

1/13/2018 5:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/13/2018 5:38 PM

Is there a spacer in between the bearings that would keep from over tightening that maybe is worn/crushed that could be allowing more tension on the bearings causing them to wear prematurely?

|

1/13/2018 5:33 PM

Spanner? I though a spanner was a wrench. Anyways no, it just two lock nuts that sit on the inside of the dropouts like this.Photo

|

1/13/2018 5:39 PM

It is... Typing on phone & fucking autocorrect sucks

|

1/13/2018 5:44 PM

WildeB33st wrote:

Spanner? I though a spanner was a wrench. Anyways no, it just two lock nuts that sit on the inside of the dropouts like this.Photo

Yeah... I get that. Those could be over tightened, however. A lot of cranks have a spacer between the bearings to avoid over tensioning the bearings. Thought maybe the rear hub might have that as well. Either way, it sounds like maybe they are over tensioned & the bearings could be worn. I would loosen those jam nuts to see if that fixed the problem.

|

1/13/2018 6:05 PM

Ok. I am taking it in to the shop tomorrow and I’ll see what the guy has to say. I am gonna try what you suggested right now.

|

1/13/2018 7:32 PM

WildeB33st wrote:

Ok. I am taking it in to the shop tomorrow and I’ll see what the guy has to say. I am gonna try what you suggested right now.

Let me know what happens when you loosen the jam nuts

|

1/14/2018 12:17 AM

Yeah, if the bearings are already going I'd bet there should be a thin spacer between the driver and hub bearings that's been left out. If so, it's the shops fault. Take it back and tell them you want it fixed, don't be a douche, but make it clear it's their mistake, or it's at least their responsibility to find out why it isn't working as it should. Also see if you can find an exploded diagram of the internals so you can check it has all the right parts.

|

1/14/2018 10:07 AM

I don’t remember any spacer between the driver or hub bearings. I’m gonna take it to the shop today and see what the guy says. I’ll update you all when he tells me what’s going on. Thanks for the help so far!

|