Bearings, does it matter?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/10/2014 12:39 AM

So im in need of purchasing some bearings for a fc im buildng up (college project) and i wwas wondering, does it make that much difference where i get them from? I want the best possible bearings i can get, but i have to keep the dimensions the same as the federal v2 coaster (basically, same as khe) as thats the hub shell im using. so do different companies make stronger/weaker bearings? thanks guizz

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

1/10/2014 12:48 AM

I think there are slight differences in some, but I'm not 100% sure. I remember reading somewhere awhile back that some bearings are different, like one will feel tighter & take longer to break in, but last longer & won't "wobble" when it gets older as fast. then there's others (same exact OD/ID/width) but feel smoother, break in quickly, but don't last as long and get a wobble. I forget exactly where I read this, but someone on here mentioned that Profile did this as well & the bearings even had different color rubber seals on them.

I know in the Primo Mix/Cult Match cassettes, the seals are a greyish/green color, but other bearings such as enduro bearings are black, and both have very slight different designs. I noticed the ones in the Primo/Cult, the seals don't rest directly against the inner race, but other bearing do. Then again that could be how sometimes you see headset bearings with 2 rubber seals, 1 on each side, and then you see other headset bearings with just 1 rubber seal on the top side. Same function, different design/style.

Don't quote me on that though until someone else can verify for sure.

|

1/10/2014 12:54 AM

sundaybmxRR wrote:

I think there are slight differences in some, but I'm not 100% sure. I remember reading somewhere awhile back that some bearings are different, like one will feel tighter & take longer to break in, but last longer & won't "wobble" when it gets older as fast. then there's others (same exact OD/ID/width) but feel smoother, break in quickly, but don't last as long and get a wobble. I forget exactly where I read this, but someone on here mentioned that Profile did this as well & the bearings even had different color rubber seals on them.

I know in the Primo Mix/Cult Match cassettes, the seals are a greyish/green color, but other bearings such as enduro bearings are black, and both have very slight different designs. I noticed the ones in the Primo/Cult, the seals don't rest directly against the inner race, but other bearing do. Then again that could be how sometimes you see headset bearings with 2 rubber seals, 1 on each side, and then you see other headset bearings with just 1 rubber seal on the top side. Same function, different design/style.

Don't quote me on that though until someone else can verify for sure.

ok, well thanks anyway, atleast i know now that if i look into it im not just gunna be wasting my time :L well my cult coaster bearing race is blue, and the ds bearing thats in this federal hub shell (the guy i bought it off obvs could get it out) has a black seal, so that might be an enduro bearing already, in which case ill just have to stick with what khe already usees :/ but the cult one is custom so iunno about that. Wish i could get a cult fc ds bearing, it'd make my day haha. I dont wanna take it out of mine though since its on my bike haha

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit

1/10/2014 1:00 AM

This is what I meant

Photo

2 different 6902 bearings, same ID/OD/Width, but notice the inner races. I would assume that means a different company made each

But yeah you most likely wouldn't be wasting your time, I'm sure there isn't just one company making bearings for bmx haha. You could always see if Cult will sell you the bearing separately though!

|

1/10/2014 2:45 AM

I see what you mean. I'll be sure to look into it though. And I thinK I messaged them a bit ago but I didn't get a reply

|

NEW Bike check
Raw Clips Edit