Been a really , really long time. Could use some advice.

Related:
Create New Tag

4/20/2017 10:37 PM

Hey guys...it's been a really long time since I've even touched a BMX bike. Like since the mid 80's when I grew up on them. I switched over to the two wheel with motors a long time ago and could use some help on a project.

I bought this frame about 15 years ago. I ran an indoor arenacross track back then and was planning on building it and playing around on it in there , but it never happened.I was teaching and training kids and adults along with building the tracks. I want to build it now as a pit bike , but also something to go thrash on a bit at a BMX park or something like that. Think it needs to be pretty durable.

It's a 99' Schwinn pro stock SE. 21.5" TT ( and I'm a little over 6' tall ). I even thought about using the old school Tuff 2's. It's an all white frame , with the red/black decals on it. I'm totally lost on what and where to get parts.

Like I was saying , it's been a really long time since my BMX days. Been a member on the Vital MX site for over 10 years , so I thought I'd come here for help.

Photo



Photo

|

4/20/2017 10:43 PM

It all depends what parts you want to use, and what you'll be using it for. It's an alloy frame, so it won't take much abuse. It has a US bottom bracket, and I'd assume it's 1 1/8th headtube, but could be 1" (half decent parts for 1" are few and far between. But there's a big second hand market). Steer clear of skyways, they're not all that.

|

4/21/2017 8:07 AM

Thanks Steve. Are you for sure my bottom bracket is indeed a US version? How can I tell? And I'm pretty sure the TT is 1-1/8th. Not sure what to measure there to make sure. I know some of the old pro stock frames were prone to crack up at the TT area welds , but I figured I'd run it until ( or if it ever happens.) I really dig the looks of a lot of these newer race frames out there , compared to the flatland and other.....I just dig the style more. It'll just be something to maybe go play around with a bit at a park , pit bike at the track and something to cruise through town on.

Is there a thread someone could point me to , that compares component?. Don't want to buy any junk , just good quality stuff that will last.

|

4/21/2017 8:20 AM

Jeffro503 wrote:

Thanks Steve. Are you for sure my bottom bracket is indeed a US version? How can I tell? And I'm pretty sure the TT is 1-1/8th. Not sure what to measure there to make sure. I know some of the old pro stock frames were prone to crack up at the TT area welds , but I figured I'd run it until ( or if it ever happens.) I really dig the looks of a lot of these newer race frames out there , compared to the flatland and other.....I just dig the style more. It'll just be something to maybe go play around with a bit at a park , pit bike at the track and something to cruise through town on.

Is there a thread someone could point me to , that compares component?. Don't want to buy any junk , just good quality stuff that will last.

It looks like there's cups for an unsealed US bottom bracket in there. The shell will have a 51mm inside diameter if it's US, then next smallest from that is mid which is 41mm, but doesn't use cups and have never really been a thing for race frames. Now the common bb would be euro, which is 37mm and threaded.
As for race parts, no one on here really races, so we wouldn't know haha. Best thing to do is Google online shops that sell race parts, then compare parts online, or even give a shop a call and ask their advice

|

4/21/2017 9:46 AM

You'll be better off picking up a complete bike. Finding parts for that frame are going to be tough. Mid school stuff is getting very hard to find

|

4/21/2017 9:59 AM

GOODS BMX, it's in Portland and Shad (the owner) will help you out. He's got all kinds of 80's bikes in his shop so if you go in, you'll feel right at home.

He'll be able to show you what you need and help you build it up if needed.

|

4/21/2017 11:58 AM

Do not use Tuffs, theyre completely wrong for that bike. I'd honestly put it up for sale since you said you'd try to hit up parks, and put money into a more modern ride. This is a race bike and not designed really for being thrashed. Its nice though, someone would definitely be interested.

|





4/21/2017 3:44 PM

Jeffro503 wrote:

Hey guys...it's been a really long time since I've even touched a BMX bike. Like since the mid 80's when I grew up on them. I switched over to the two wheel with motors a long time ago and could use some help on a project.

I bought this frame about 15 years ago. I ran an indoor arenacross track back then and was planning on building it and playing around on it in there , but it never happened.I was teaching and training kids and adults along with building the tracks. I want to build it now as a pit bike , but also something to go thrash on a bit at a BMX park or something like that. Think it needs to be pretty durable.

It's a 99' Schwinn pro stock SE. 21.5" TT ( and I'm a little over 6' tall ). I even thought about using the old school Tuff 2's. It's an all white frame , with the red/black decals on it. I'm totally lost on what and where to get parts.

Like I was saying , it's been a really long time since my BMX days. Been a member on the Vital MX site for over 10 years , so I thought I'd come here for help.

Photo



Photo

I remember those frames. Stronger than you think but still not cromoly so you have to take what you want to do vs what won't snap it into account.

If you play to ride stuff like skateparks I would build it with decent strength parts. The reason why is it will break in time. But, you will still have the parts to put on a different frame. If you plan to grind or ride street. Go with strength on everything, because it won't last long for street. Had a friend use a Haro race frame on street and it lasted about 2 months...but he was just starting to ride so that was a factor.

Dirt is the best option if you really don't want to have to get a new frame fairly fast. But, unless you are really smooth you still want quality parts for the same reason as park and street.

If you are planning to not ride it much and have it be more of a show bike type thing. Then you can get by with some lower level parts.

I saw you mentioned Skyway mags and stuff, I highly suggest eBay for that type thing. Craigslist might have a set or two if you really look. But, eBay or BMX Museum are the 2 best areas to look for classic parts. eBay will probably be cheaper as BMX Museum is collectors for the most part. Meaning I'm sure you can replace say hub bearings. So a set of Tuffs on eBay may need that but BMX Museum has most stuff that is almost mint condition, some cases brand new.

For the bottom bracket type, it looks US, Google the frame specs. It will tell you everything about it. The headset looks like an early loose ball 1 1/8th.

To me, much as you seem to have a great idea of restoring it. You may want to join BMX Museum and give them the information on the frame. You may get a shock that it's worth as much as a high level complete is. And if that is the case, you may not want to ride it or perhaps you will sell it and buy a brand new complete that has all the new technology built into the frame.

Just some random tips I hope it helps you out.

Almost forgot ACE BMX has old school parts, I'm not sure if ACE BMX is the website so google

ACE BMX
Should be the 1st result and take a look at what they have. I get alot of parts from them. Joe, the owner will help you find stuff you need/want. If you call them and ask for him he is probably available to talk. He was walking the warehouse with me on the phone awhile back looking for a particular color frame in a 21" took 30min but he got it and even gave me a discount due to the wait for him to locate it. I tried to refuse the discount but he insisted. Very good guy

|

4/21/2017 5:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2017 5:56 PM

I kinda just went through this with a rebuild on my old barcode and all I can say is my budget was 350 and when I was done I threw about 500 into it on parts . I would look for a used complete or just buy a new complete like a stolen or something that's not hiten. There's a lot to do on that but the parts are going to be a bit hard to source with the age
and trust me when I say stuff got lighter.... way lighter. If say for 350 you should be able to find a swell bike that will allow you to get riding in one shot.

Gusset makes a sealed USA bb (ask me how I know lol ) and some parts that will fit your bike, cane creek and promax for the rest of the stuff. Axle sizes have changed and you may need new front forks as well.

|

4/21/2017 8:26 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

I remember those frames. Stronger than you think but still not cromoly so you have to take what you want to do vs what won't snap it into account.

If you play to ride stuff like skateparks I would build it with decent strength parts. The reason why is it will break in time. But, you will still have the parts to put on a different frame. If you plan to grind or ride street. Go with strength on everything, because it won't last long for street. Had a friend use a Haro race frame on street and it lasted about 2 months...but he was just starting to ride so that was a factor.

Dirt is the best option if you really don't want to have to get a new frame fairly fast. But, unless you are really smooth you still want quality parts for the same reason as park and street.

If you are planning to not ride it much and have it be more of a show bike type thing. Then you can get by with some lower level parts.

I saw you mentioned Skyway mags and stuff, I highly suggest eBay for that type thing. Craigslist might have a set or two if you really look. But, eBay or BMX Museum are the 2 best areas to look for classic parts. eBay will probably be cheaper as BMX Museum is collectors for the most part. Meaning I'm sure you can replace say hub bearings. So a set of Tuffs on eBay may need that but BMX Museum has most stuff that is almost mint condition, some cases brand new.

For the bottom bracket type, it looks US, Google the frame specs. It will tell you everything about it. The headset looks like an early loose ball 1 1/8th.

To me, much as you seem to have a great idea of restoring it. You may want to join BMX Museum and give them the information on the frame. You may get a shock that it's worth as much as a high level complete is. And if that is the case, you may not want to ride it or perhaps you will sell it and buy a brand new complete that has all the new technology built into the frame.

Just some random tips I hope it helps you out.

Almost forgot ACE BMX has old school parts, I'm not sure if ACE BMX is the website so google

ACE BMX
Should be the 1st result and take a look at what they have. I get alot of parts from them. Joe, the owner will help you find stuff you need/want. If you call them and ask for him he is probably available to talk. He was walking the warehouse with me on the phone awhile back looking for a particular color frame in a 21" took 30min but he got it and even gave me a discount due to the wait for him to locate it. I tried to refuse the discount but he insisted. Very good guy

Gack....thank you so much for all that info!! I am checking out ACE BMX as well!

All you guys , thanks for helping me. Read everything , and took it all in and decided to do a couple things. I found a bike I may pick up tomorrow that's fully built. But it isn't something I'll be dropping money into except just upkeep. I'm buying it as a reference point for my Schwinn.

And like I was saying , what I'm mostly going to do with it , is just use it as a pit bike ( something cool to look at , conversation piece ) but I also plan on riding this thing around the neighbor hood. What I'll do with it?.....I'm not sure yet. I live right on the out skirts of Portland , so the possibilities are all over the place.

To you guys saying I should just " Buy a complete bike ".....well I am , but I'm still going to build this Schwinn. I'll ride this thing and if she breaks , she breaks....I'll just replace it with another frame.

@Seanthemechanic : What parts on my frame wouldn't be compatible with the newer gen frames? Wouldn't most everything just swap right over?

Also....I get what you guys are saying about the Tuff wheels. I'd like to pick up some kind of tough as hell wheel set that looks like the ones on the yellow schwinn below. And the Tuff's don't look all that bad on these things I think. The white one below is really cool looking to me , if I was to mesh some of the components off the yellow one. Thoughts?

Photo

Photo


Photo


And what do you guys think about the spin wheels?

Photo

|

4/21/2017 8:28 PM

Crap! Forgot to ask....if I go with a spoke rim , what is a rim which has been known to be super durable? Do they even make any composite spoke rims any more like the old Z-rims?

|

4/21/2017 8:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/21/2017 8:34 PM

Jeffro503 wrote:

Crap! Forgot to ask....if I go with a spoke rim , what is a rim which has been known to be super durable? Do they even make any composite spoke rims any more like the old Z-rims?

Odyssey hazard, Demolition Zero, gsport ribcage.... My top 3 but there are a lot of good ones out there

|

Follow me on instagram @69instagreg
BOTTOM TEXT

4/21/2017 10:56 PM

I don't know if a ton will carry over from the newer stuff on that old of a frame. You'll need a new bb a new headset and forks if your axle size is 14mm in front. You might need new cranks and a sprocket as you have a USA bb. Best of luck building that thing up and I'm happy to hear you found a complete to get going ! Brakes bars and hopefully stem should carry over no issues.

|

4/22/2017 3:45 AM

seriously dude.

GOODS BMX. They're in portland and the owner is probably your age. He knows what's up. go there.

|

4/22/2017 2:50 PM

Jeffro503 wrote:

Crap! Forgot to ask....if I go with a spoke rim , what is a rim which has been known to be super durable? Do they even make any composite spoke rims any more like the old Z-rims?

Those rims were crud by all accounts I've heard. It's a good thing they aren't made anymore. Spins would be wicked cool on this but best of luck in finding them, theyre suuuper expensive. Odyssey Hazards or T1000's would also look cool on this. Look at how the (yellow, not partial to the white) bikes you posted are built, those are appropriately nice. Check out BMXmuseum and look at how those are built too.

|





4/22/2017 3:38 PM

pnj wrote:

seriously dude.

GOODS BMX. They're in portland and the owner is probably your age. He knows what's up. go there.

I went down to Goods Bmx shop today and spent some time picking Shad's brain about my frame. Super cool freakin' dude! Going to support his shop as much as I can.

He was actually really positive about my frame being built. Showed him some of the pics I posted here...and the cool thing was , he said " Run that son of a bitch! " a couple other guys he rides with actually prefer older race frames and he said the held up well.

Pnj...thank you for the heads up on the shop! Me and Shad will be talking back and forth on picking out parts and so forth. Going to start off with the front forks , headset , clamp and bars. Wheels after that.

|

4/22/2017 3:41 PM

Jeffro503 wrote:

Crap! Forgot to ask....if I go with a spoke rim , what is a rim which has been known to be super durable? Do they even make any composite spoke rims any more like the old Z-rims?

Super-Pawl wrote:

Those rims were crud by all accounts I've heard. It's a good thing they aren't made anymore. Spins would be wicked cool on this but best of luck in finding them, theyre suuuper expensive. Odyssey Hazards or T1000's would also look cool on this. Look at how the (yellow, not partial to the white) bikes you posted are built, those are appropriately nice. Check out BMXmuseum and look at how those are built too.

The Hazards are a wheel set I'm leaning towards for sure! I might end up getting a set made from some different parts. I'd like black wheels with some red hubs.

|

4/22/2017 3:47 PM

Jeffro503 wrote:

Hey guys...it's been a really long time since I've even touched a BMX bike. Like since the mid 80's when I grew up on them. I switched over to the two wheel with motors a long time ago and could use some help on a project.

I bought this frame about 15 years ago. I ran an indoor arenacross track back then and was planning on building it and playing around on it in there , but it never happened.I was teaching and training kids and adults along with building the tracks. I want to build it now as a pit bike , but also something to go thrash on a bit at a BMX park or something like that. Think it needs to be pretty durable.

It's a 99' Schwinn pro stock SE. 21.5" TT ( and I'm a little over 6' tall ). I even thought about using the old school Tuff 2's. It's an all white frame , with the red/black decals on it. I'm totally lost on what and where to get parts.

Like I was saying , it's been a really long time since my BMX days. Been a member on the Vital MX site for over 10 years , so I thought I'd come here for help.

Photo



Photo

Gack2000 wrote:

I remember those frames. Stronger than you think but still not cromoly so you have to take what you want to do vs what won't snap it into account.

If you play to ride stuff like skateparks I would build it with decent strength parts. The reason why is it will break in time. But, you will still have the parts to put on a different frame. If you plan to grind or ride street. Go with strength on everything, because it won't last long for street. Had a friend use a Haro race frame on street and it lasted about 2 months...but he was just starting to ride so that was a factor.

Dirt is the best option if you really don't want to have to get a new frame fairly fast. But, unless you are really smooth you still want quality parts for the same reason as park and street.

If you are planning to not ride it much and have it be more of a show bike type thing. Then you can get by with some lower level parts.

I saw you mentioned Skyway mags and stuff, I highly suggest eBay for that type thing. Craigslist might have a set or two if you really look. But, eBay or BMX Museum are the 2 best areas to look for classic parts. eBay will probably be cheaper as BMX Museum is collectors for the most part. Meaning I'm sure you can replace say hub bearings. So a set of Tuffs on eBay may need that but BMX Museum has most stuff that is almost mint condition, some cases brand new.

For the bottom bracket type, it looks US, Google the frame specs. It will tell you everything about it. The headset looks like an early loose ball 1 1/8th.

To me, much as you seem to have a great idea of restoring it. You may want to join BMX Museum and give them the information on the frame. You may get a shock that it's worth as much as a high level complete is. And if that is the case, you may not want to ride it or perhaps you will sell it and buy a brand new complete that has all the new technology built into the frame.

Just some random tips I hope it helps you out.

Almost forgot ACE BMX has old school parts, I'm not sure if ACE BMX is the website so google

ACE BMX
Should be the 1st result and take a look at what they have. I get alot of parts from them. Joe, the owner will help you find stuff you need/want. If you call them and ask for him he is probably available to talk. He was walking the warehouse with me on the phone awhile back looking for a particular color frame in a 21" took 30min but he got it and even gave me a discount due to the wait for him to locate it. I tried to refuse the discount but he insisted. Very good guy

Jeffro503 wrote:

Gack....thank you so much for all that info!! I am checking out ACE BMX as well!

All you guys , thanks for helping me. Read everything , and took it all in and decided to do a couple things. I found a bike I may pick up tomorrow that's fully built. But it isn't something I'll be dropping money into except just upkeep. I'm buying it as a reference point for my Schwinn.

And like I was saying , what I'm mostly going to do with it , is just use it as a pit bike ( something cool to look at , conversation piece ) but I also plan on riding this thing around the neighbor hood. What I'll do with it?.....I'm not sure yet. I live right on the out skirts of Portland , so the possibilities are all over the place.

To you guys saying I should just " Buy a complete bike ".....well I am , but I'm still going to build this Schwinn. I'll ride this thing and if she breaks , she breaks....I'll just replace it with another frame.

@Seanthemechanic : What parts on my frame wouldn't be compatible with the newer gen frames? Wouldn't most everything just swap right over?

Also....I get what you guys are saying about the Tuff wheels. I'd like to pick up some kind of tough as hell wheel set that looks like the ones on the yellow schwinn below. And the Tuff's don't look all that bad on these things I think. The white one below is really cool looking to me , if I was to mesh some of the components off the yellow one. Thoughts?

Photo

Photo


Photo


And what do you guys think about the spin wheels?

Photo

Spin are race wheels. If you plan to do much jumping I would stay away from them. Like I said in my other post I think you can get Tuff 2's on ACE. They might be clones, but unless you plan to sell it for a big price... they will do the same thing for less money.

I like the classic idea, ACE will have multiple sealed US bottom brackets. I noticed that when I was buying cranks not to long ago. Give them a call, ask for Joe and give him your budget and basic idea. He can help you get what you want and not break your budget either.

|

4/22/2017 6:12 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Spin are race wheels. If you plan to do much jumping I would stay away from them. Like I said in my other post I think you can get Tuff 2's on ACE. They might be clones, but unless you plan to sell it for a big price... they will do the same thing for less money.

I like the classic idea, ACE will have multiple sealed US bottom brackets. I noticed that when I was buying cranks not to long ago. Give them a call, ask for Joe and give him your budget and basic idea. He can help you get what you want and not break your budget either.

Thanks again Gack. You know talking to Shad today and Good's BMX he thought it was cool doing some skyway mags as well. I definitely want some good spoked wheels , but the skyway tuff's are cheap....why not get both? Just swap em' out from time to time. And I have ACE bmx book marked and checking out all their stuff. With me being a local business owner myself , I want to support Shad as well. Like to see that shop stick around.

|

4/25/2017 12:31 AM

Gack2000 wrote:

Spin are race wheels. If you plan to do much jumping I would stay away from them. Like I said in my other post I think you can get Tuff 2's on ACE. They might be clones, but unless you plan to sell it for a big price... they will do the same thing for less money.

I like the classic idea, ACE will have multiple sealed US bottom brackets. I noticed that when I was buying cranks not to long ago. Give them a call, ask for Joe and give him your budget and basic idea. He can help you get what you want and not break your budget either.

Man gack....you were right about ACE BMX.....those guys rock! They have so much cool stuff on there , I'm now confused on what to get haha. just looking at stems alone....I got like 5 I like a lot , and can't make up my mind. I did figure out a fork and handlebar set up I'm going with. I really , really wanted the white Odyssey R32 fork , but damn it , nobody has them around here. So I may end up getting a black set , along with the bars and get them both powder coated white. Those would be the only two pieces I would do , as everything else with be Red , chrome or black. I got this vision in my head of what I'm shooting for. I'll get there.

|

4/25/2017 1:20 AM

how hard and what kind of riding do you plan on doing?

Modern bmx bikes can't be beat.

|

4/25/2017 7:17 PM

Yup and while it's cool your getting your old frame back up running just remember that any shop will help you get there as much as they are helping you pay your way through it. Try to get an estimate and an endgame budget in mind and then start to compare new bikes and make sure it's worth the price. Best of luck and post the end result if whatever you choose.

|

4/26/2017 8:16 AM

pnj wrote:

how hard and what kind of riding do you plan on doing?

Modern bmx bikes can't be beat.

I'm really not to sure yet. I guess the more I ride , the harder I'll start to push things. If I feel like I may break this frame or something , then I'll look into getting a CrMo frame. I do a lot of MX riding during the spring / summer/ fall and I plan on taking my bmx with me most times. But I would also like to find out where some dirt ramp stuff is. I'm trying to make some connections out here in the NW , as I know there are some hidden gems / places to ride out here.

|