Been thinking.. skaters & pegs & whatnot

Related:
Create New Tag

5/16/2014 6:28 PM

Just got back into biking after taking a little skating excursion and in some ways it has opened my eyes to bmxing. I used to run 4 pegs and grinding was pretty much my forte i guess you could say, but as i was skating i realized the effect that bikes can have. i think i talked about this a while ago in some other thread, and some brought up points about how skaters can chip ledges and stuff just as much as bikers (honestly i still havent skaters truely destroy a ledge), but honestly- now i feel like kind of a dick riding pegs. Of course no halfway decent bikers chip legdes purposfully but inevitably, it happens sometimes and i hate imagining myself skating a spot and when i get there i discover that its no longer skatable, so i have taken off my pegs. in a way i have mixed feelings about this, i want to respect spots and skaters but i also love and am good at grinding. honestly ill probably end up just going plastic after a while, but just want to see you all's opinion. What do you think about chipping ledges? Respect skaters or no? Also, how about that video transworld skate posted with the skaters riding the trails?

|

virginia beach ~ instagram: @_harru_ ~ 4pegz

5/16/2014 6:34 PM

if you're good at grinding, you shouldn't be chipping ledges too easily. but who cares, if you love grindin then keep doing em.

|

5/16/2014 6:50 PM

Only reason I don't run pegs. Skaters funded our park, I respect it.

|

5/16/2014 7:18 PM

Its all about respect, luckily im the only one that grinds around here so I dont have to worry about whos destroying my ledges, I designate my ledges one for skating and one for my bike, your best bet is to build a fun box

|

5/16/2014 8:58 PM

if you're worried about it (and that's totally understandable) just run plastic pegs. it calms down angry bmx-hating people when you tell them your pegs are plastic sometimes. you'll probably slide better on chipped ledges too so thats gotta be a plus. i personally run plastics but I'm more of a rail person and i hardly ever grind rough ledges/ledges with no coping anyway.

|

You're never too old to have fun.

Bike
Summer riding

5/16/2014 11:01 PM

I've NEVER been told by a skater to not run pegs or to not grind a ledge.

|

5/16/2014 11:09 PM

I usually stay off any ledges that I feel I might damage or ruin for others, out of respect for others. But, if its out on the streets, I think its fair game for anyone. Alot of skaters would not show the same respect for bmxers, just sayin.

|

5/16/2014 11:51 PM

plastic pegs are the obvious solution. Here's the dirt skating vid

|

FREE not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes
STYLE a particular, distinctive, or characteristic mode of action or manner of acting

5/17/2014 12:11 AM

A ledge is a ledge. Grind it. Respect is nice and all but street spots come and go. Grind it to shit and enjoy it before other people do it for you. Once it's trashed , find a new one.

Movement of street riding

|

Instagram : braydenbuckingham
My Cult 2 Short

5/20/2014 6:25 AM

All m yparks have a metal layer of the ledges, so im good on that, although the only one thats not at my local park is pretty much chipped to shit.

|

5/20/2014 8:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/20/2014 8:39 AM

Everyone chips them, skaters, scooters, rollerblades, bikes. When it comes to street, ride it if you want is my thought. At a skate only park I am more respectful, and only hit ledges with metal edging OR run plastics.

Think of it from the other side, if there was a BMX only park and skaters started using it, do you think they would think "If I grind this ledge, I might chip it?" No. They won't. They will just do what they want. They won't run plastic trucks or grind guards or anything.

Not trying to be a dick, but I won't be super cautious with things like this because I know 99% of the skaters around here would just do whatever they want, and would not even think about being respectful to a BMX park. I do go out of my way to be respectful to the skate only park, but not street.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/20/2014 8:46 AM

No plastic pegs-read my signature. Ledges (especially brick or something of that sort) will wear away the plastic. There is a huge gash in my back peg from one feeble (and I wasn't even on the ledge for very long). The first time riding with those pegs too.

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

5/20/2014 5:18 PM

Wax the ledge really well and don't smash your pegs on it and you should be good.

I feel bad for destroying property and potential spots for skaters but I won't lose sleep or take my pegs off because of it. Many of the ledges that I grind aren't that chipped. I have 3 plastic pegs and 1 metal though. I have never used the metal on a ledge though because I can't oppo smith yet.

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

5/20/2014 5:19 PM

Shortdude wrote:

No plastic pegs-read my signature. Ledges (especially brick or something of that sort) will wear away the plastic. There is a huge gash in my back peg from one feeble (and I wasn't even on the ledge for very long). The first time riding with those pegs too.

Sounds like you're not skilled in the art of buttering up ledges!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

5/20/2014 5:22 PM

tHATS good that you respect them so much. Grab some plastics if you really want to make sure you don't ruin them, I usually just grind stuff thats around bar height that way they can't make it up and they grind smaller stuff. Which is understandable like its pretty dam hard to get the same amount of height on an ollie that we get with a hop. I am friends with all the skaters in my town (Used to skate) and we all help eachother out. I'll bring wax for them or if i get extra laces ill give them out and we have a nice bone. Maybe you can form one with the guys in your town and you all won't mind who grinds what or you can figure something out.

Great luck.

|

The first breath is the beginning of death

5/20/2014 7:44 PM

But the skaters are the ones chipping the ledge i ride...

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

5/20/2014 8:07 PM

Bmxers chip the ldges... skaters round the edges... we all fuck it up we just fuck it up differently... I say go for it... But i do agree with dave.. If you are ridng a skate only park then be careful just so that they are more likely to be nice to you.

|

5/21/2014 7:54 AM

Shortdude wrote:

Stocksy wrote:

Sounds like you're not skilled in the art of buttering up ledges!

Yeah I didn't put any wax on it. (That explains a lot lol)

|

I haven't rode in forever so I suck and I have 2 Hondas. Follow me on Instagram @softtop2k.417

5/21/2014 11:59 AM

KrisnerBMX wrote:

Bmxers chip the ldges... skaters round the edges... we all fuck it up we just fuck it up differently... I say go for it... But i do agree with dave.. If you are ridng a skate only park then be careful just so that they are more likely to be nice to you.

Not how I see it. I see them trash the corners of the ledges, and our 4 inch long pegs grind more surface down, technically smoothing them out, sharpening the corners back up.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura