Beginner/Amateur/Open BMX Competitions

Related:
Create New Tag

9/16/2018 6:52 AM

So, I've been riding for a few months and would love to test my chops in a competition. I have been keeping my eye out for events on the social medias, but I only see BMX jams and whatnot. I'm hoping to enter a competition that has either a beginner or amateur or open division, whatever I could actually participate in.
Is there a website or other place I can find a list of competitions? I am in Western NY and have found old event info for Ohio, but nothing current. I'd be willing to travel a good distance for the chance to compete.
It seems that the only competitions I can find are "Invitationals" and this makes me sad sad
Any help would be very appreciated.
(I like having a goal in mind so I'm working towards something. Sort of a 'light the fire under my ass' situation)

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/16/2018 6:59 AM

I can't help much as I'm not ein Amerikaner. But I wanted to say that's a giant leap from being a pussy at the skatepark. laughing

Good for you!

|

9/16/2018 7:04 AM

jbales wrote:

I can't help much as I'm not ein Amerikaner. But I wanted to say that's a giant leap from being a pussy at the skatepark. laughing

...more

Haha! In a competition it wouldnt be a crowded park with random scooter kids snaking around. I'm only a pussy at the park because I'm afraid to rise when other people are riding. grin

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/16/2018 8:03 AM

Meet up with a local park and organize a competition. Great way to be a bigger part of local riding community. Its alot of work but so worth it.

|

9/16/2018 11:20 AM

Don't worry about scooter kids. They're going to get in the way. Do you run brakes? I usually wait until they're about to get smoked and then hit the brakes and explain to them that they need to pay attention to what's going on around them before they roll. It takes a bit for them to figure it out but eventually you won't be getting snaked as much. Those kids need someone to explain how skateparks work, their clueless parents won't.

|

9/16/2018 11:35 AM

CHILDISHGAMBINO wrote:

Don't worry about scooter kids. They're going to get in the way. Do you run brakes? I usually wait until they're about to get ...more

I'd do this but just mowing over the kids would be a bit much since I'm brakelesslaughing

|

9/16/2018 12:02 PM

I smoked a kid on my skateboard once. I came out of a corner at full speed and he droppef in right in front of me looking behind him as he did. I weigh 230. I'm not the one that got hurt. All the kids paid way more attention after that. It sucked and I felt bad but that guy learned a valuable lesson.

|

11/17/2018 8:48 PM

We have been taking my son to some of the @hotwheelsjuniorseries events. They are awesome competitions put on by the boardr.com and have events around the US for youth 16 and under. They are sponsored by Woodward and obviously hot wheels. If you're under 16, I highly recommend their events! Also, bikes and skate boards only.

|

11/19/2018 4:20 AM

bgiffie wrote:

We have been taking my son to some of the @hotwheelsjuniorseries events. They are awesome competitions put on by the ...more

Yeah, I'm about 16 years too late for those competitions....

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

11/19/2018 5:23 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Organize one locally! Work with your local park.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

11/19/2018 5:42 AM

dave lawrence wrote:

The idea of me setting up a competition when I have no clue how one works, never seen one, never been to one, sounds so wrong to me. I barely know what I'm doing when it comes to riding my bike....how am I supposed to organize a competition?

Since the progression group started, I've had the motivation I've been looking for. I was hoping to have a competition I could sign up for so I had the motivation to get better, quicker. I don't want to do a competition bad enough to organize one.

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

11/19/2018 6:26 AM

You could fly to a fise , they got amateur contests , fise is always a good time

|

11/19/2018 6:55 AM

This is useful information! I could probably get to the Edmonton stop

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

11/19/2018 8:34 AM

download the UCI BMX FREESTYLE app

|

11/19/2018 9:00 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

dave lawrence wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

The idea of me setting up a competition when I have no clue how one works, never seen one, never been to one, sounds so wrong ...more

I will host a Jam/Contest for you if you fly me out haha

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

11/19/2018 9:26 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Roughly $275....Tempting

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

11/19/2018 10:01 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

The idea of me setting up a competition when I have no clue how one works, never seen one, never been to one, sounds so wrong ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Roughly $275....Tempting

Here is the video of my annual Street Jam posted on Ride BMX.

Seriously though, it may honestly be cheaper to just pay my gas to get there. That way I could also bring my van, my crew, & my event/camera equipment.

Honestly, for the right price, I would be willing to do all of the following for you (& work with you on price, I'm more worried about getting there with my crew than I am about profiting off of it.)

- Do my best to teach you all the basics while there so that you could hopefully do your own thing for your area in the future (or make it an annual event.)

- Advertise the Event (+ After Party?) on the Capital Crew social medias, as well as capitalcrewbmx.com (Will make sure that a good amount of people from surrounding areas show up!)

- Accumulate non-local sponsors & provide prizes/give-aways for the event.

- We would film, edit, & publish a video of the event (& try my best to get it posted to the big-name BMX media sites.)

- I could very likely get a discounted rate on a complete bike, should you want to Raffle off a bike. I would host the raffle, but you will have to pay for the bike (& you will receive 80%[?] of the money from the raffle.)

- I would also be willing to host an After-Party free-of-charge, but you would be responsible for supplying the venue & music.

Also, I would be relying on you to supply the venue for the Contest/Jam. If you choose to go with a Street Jam, I would ask that you make a map of the spots in the order that we would ride them. If you choose to do a skatepark, it's always best to go with a fairly large park that has a good variety of obstacles for different styles of riding/different contests. & if it's a private owned park, I would contact the owner & inquire about getting everyone discounted entry rates that day.

And of course, you would get credit for being an organizer of the event! If this is something you'd be interested in doing, feel free to message me on Instagram (@timhankinsbmx / @capitalcrewbmx) & we can discuss it all!
|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

11/19/2018 10:03 AM

Ex's and Oh's wrote:

download the UCI BMX FREESTYLE app

UCI’s app is made for people to be noticed in order to compete, in a nutshell. Not necessarily for small, local competitions.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

11/19/2018 11:00 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Here is the video of my annual Street Jam posted on Ride BMX.

Seriously though, it may honestly be cheaper to just pay my gas ...more

Man...you make this tempting. I'll keep this in the back of my mind. I probably won't be able to make anything happen too soon since it's winter here. As for after party venue and music, I got that on lockdown (I own a DJ business). There is a large park downtown where a few jams happen that would work. Man...I have to think about it. Thanks for the info!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

11/19/2018 11:03 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Roughly $275....Tempting

HardBMX_Tim wrote: Here is the video of my annual Street Jam posted on Ride BMX.

Seriously though, it may honestly be cheaper to just pay my gas ...more
JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Man...you make this tempting. I'll keep this in the back of my mind. I probably won't be able to make anything happen too soon ...more

For sure, DM me if you want a quote!

|