Beginner BMX help, higher bunnyhops tips?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/4/2013 1:53 PM

Hey everybody, so I recently started bmxing a few days ago and so far I can bunny hop.. but not enough to be anything proud of. I can land onto a curb neatly but that's pretty much the max. I watched some videos and the guys seem to raise their front up really high and that's what makes the bunnyhop high, thats the part I'm having trouble with. I don't get the timing of it, do I push with my legs first then pull my bars up? The other way around or both? Can someone share some methods you used to learn to hop higher? Thanks

|

11/4/2013 1:56 PM

You're not going to have high bunnyhops a few days after starting BMX, it's something you adapt to and get used to.

Just keep practicing and you'll get better

|

I'm gonna need bigger bars

11/4/2013 3:14 PM

I can't hop high at all, never could! Now I've been riding for about a month after coming back from an injury and I am almost back to the height I had before!

You're new and came to the right place man! What I learned from friends was to kind of "scoop" the back end up. You'll be cruising along and you'll go to hop, you wanna pull your bars up and kind of towards you in a way. Then scoop your back end up into your ass almost, then sort of push the bars away. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's what many of the most viewed bunny hop how to's say and they helped me a lot!

To scoop the back end just point your toes towards the ground and use the grip of your shoes/pedals to bring the bike up.
This may not be the best way but it's how I learned to hop and how many of my friends hop!

Practice makes perfect! If you really wanna improve the height, either walk, run, or even ride with ankle weights on. It will hurt a little bit the next day but it will strengthen your legs for sure!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

11/4/2013 4:29 PM

Stocksy wrote:

I can't hop high at all, never could! Now I've been riding for about a month after coming back from an injury and I am almost ...more

Alright, thanks man! Ill consider the weights. Also bunny hops really destroy your wrists haha. mine are soar as crap, ill take that as a sign of progress tho. w00t

|

11/4/2013 5:55 PM

layplayday wrote:

Alright, thanks man! Ill consider the weights. Also bunny hops really destroy your wrists haha. mine are soar as crap, ill ...more

Lol yeah man. You're gonna be sore. My arms hurt for nearly three days after I learned feeble grinds because it was just hop after hop after hop!

|

"If you can't beat me on a bike, beat me off." -Will Stock

YouTube
Instagram (@WillStockSucks)

11/5/2013 7:11 AM

if your wrists are that sore maybe you're landing a little too rough, just pull the bars up hard and when you get them up then you suck your hips up with the rear of the bike (sort of like stocksy said) only way to get something better is to practice

|

Refs

trades: Phocraken (beats for volume frame), The_bmxist (profiles for hollowbites), livefreeordie233 x2 (hollowbites for sd frame then noctis cranks for fit indents), Zachary_ (freecoaster for federal frame), Rascio (sold piv. seat), MaximusBikes (sold s3.5 frame)