Beginner (Complete) Bike For Adult?

Related:
Create New Tag

11/4/2016 7:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/4/2016 7:54 AM

I'm looking to get back into BMX (used to when I was a kid), and everything is WAY more complicated these days. When I was younger it was a lot more simple. My hope is that by reaching out to the larger community I can get an idea of what might work well for me. I'm 34, 5'7", about 180 lbs, and $300 is the most I'd want to spend for now.

I've checked out The House, but they seem to focus a lot on Framed. From my research it looks like I need 20.5 TT, but I'm seeing variations of chromoly, and not full on chromoly. A perfect example is the Framed Attack XL (http://www.the-house.com/qfrattx20bkyl16zz-framed-bmx-bikes.html#product-questions). That makes me a bit nervous as I don't want to break the fucker on my first bunny hop, but you all know better than I do. One thing that caught my eye in other parts of the forum is that people have been mentioning the Mongoose Mode 900. I had a Mongoose when I was a kid so the nostalgia factor is great, but on Walmart (where it's sold) I see that it's designated a kid's bike due to the wheel sie of 20". In all of the sizing charts I've seen the BMX size is determined by the TT and not by the wheel. Am I wrong in thinking a the Mongoose wouldn't work?

Any help on this would be great. The bike shops near me seem to only sell Mountain bikes or road bikes, and I just want to get back to what I had when I was a kid.

|

11/4/2016 8:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/4/2016 8:10 AM

dude.... get the kink whip hamlin on danscomp use coupon code for 20% off ( i dont remember what it is, someone on here will know)and free shipping total ends up coming to around $350 shipped.... im about your same size and age and thats what i bought about 4 months ago...... you wont be dissappointed, 20.75 TT...100% chromo... sealed everything... only thing bad is the single wall front rim, but if you dont plan on doin anything crazy it will hold up just fine (mine has)

|

11/4/2016 8:25 AM

JRsmoothee wrote:

dude.... get the kink whip hamlin on danscomp use coupon code for 20% off ( i dont remember what it is, someone on here will know)and free shipping total ends up coming to around $350 shipped.... im about your same size and age and thats what i bought about 4 months ago...... you wont be dissappointed, 20.75 TT...100% chromo... sealed everything... only thing bad is the single wall front rim, but if you dont plan on doin anything crazy it will hold up just fine (mine has)

What is the coupon code?

|

11/4/2016 8:46 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/4/2016 8:48 AM

JRsmoothee wrote:

Yeah the Mongoose mode 900 is double walled and fully chromo. The TT is slightly smaller at 20.5, but it's not a huge difference. Plus at just $200 it's hard to pass up (I hate Walmart though haha).

The 20% OFF at Dan's btw has expired. You can now use 47154U to get 15% OFF. Figured I'd leave it here for anyone that wants it.

Here are the deetz on the Mongoose btw:

Frame: premium chromoly frame
Fork: premium chromoly fork
Gearing (# of speeds): single speed
Brakes: rear aluminum U-brake and lever just like the pros
Wheels: 20" wheels
Tires: high pressure tires round out the maroon Mongoose kids bike features
Hub: 9T alloy cassette hub
Axle: oversized 14mm axle
Rims: double wall alloy rims for maximum durability
Handlebars: premium chromoly handlebars
Seat: ultra light seat and post combo
Pedals: standard pedals
Cranks: tubular chromoly 3-piece cranks
Assembly required
Dimensions: 56"L x 27"W x 38"H

|

11/4/2016 8:47 AM

JRsmoothee wrote:

nilsedvards wrote:

What is the coupon code?

The 20% is expired, but you can use 47154U to get 15% OFF.

|

11/4/2016 9:01 AM

io am the same as you...grew up riding in the 70's and 80's. Always had Mongoose bikes. Still have my 88 Californian Pro and ride it. That Mode 900 keeps looking more and more sweet to me, even though I have my eyes set on a Verde Luxe.

mongoose is getting away with the Mode being so cheap versus other ful Chromo bikes b/c most of the parts are cheap...the ones that you would replace anyways as they wear...but it even comes with full Chromo cranks, which a lot of more expensive bikes don't...

The wheel size has really no bearing on the age of the rider...uninformed people in a marketing boardroom obviously think other wise, but kids ride 26" and even 29" mountain bikes...and adults ride 20" BMX's. It is the TT length that is the determining factor.

You might also want to check out the Colony Endeavor or the WeThe People Trust....those are #2 and 3 on my list behind the VErde

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

11/4/2016 2:06 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

io am the same as you...grew up riding in the 70's and 80's. Always had Mongoose bikes. Still have my 88 Californian Pro and ride it. That Mode 900 keeps looking more and more sweet to me, even though I have my eyes set on a Verde Luxe.

mongoose is getting away with the Mode being so cheap versus other ful Chromo bikes b/c most of the parts are cheap...the ones that you would replace anyways as they wear...but it even comes with full Chromo cranks, which a lot of more expensive bikes don't...

The wheel size has really no bearing on the age of the rider...uninformed people in a marketing boardroom obviously think other wise, but kids ride 26" and even 29" mountain bikes...and adults ride 20" BMX's. It is the TT length that is the determining factor.

You might also want to check out the Colony Endeavor or the WeThe People Trust....those are #2 and 3 on my list behind the VErde

Those bikes are sexy, but just a bit outa my price range. Touching on the Mongoose though, do you think a fully chromo 20.5 TT bike could support 180 lbs? Man I wish this was all simpler.

|

11/4/2016 2:33 PM

BlackZero wrote:

Those bikes are sexy, but just a bit outa my price range. Touching on the Mongoose though, do you think a fully chromo 20.5 TT bike could support 180 lbs? Man I wish this was all simpler.

Oh yeah, without a doubt. Dudes way heavier than you shred them, ChroMoly is simply the best at the moment. You'll be well off with the 900.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride BMX.
Instagram: @scootereyn