Beginner Female Bike Recommendation

Related:
Create New Tag

9/1/2018 9:07 PM

Hello,
My name is Claire and I’m looking to take up BMX biking. As a teenager I did stunt rollerblading but I always wanted to try BMX. I have a low fear and common sense threshold, combined with an intense thrill seeking drive, so BMX makes perfect sense to me! I need some suggestions for my first bike though. I’m 5’4”, 120 lbs, and in pretty good shape. Lower body strength much more so then upper (as per many women). I’ve read that the Mongoose L80 and L100 are good beginner bikes, but does that apply for short stacks like myself? Also, I don’t want to invest more then $300 on my first bike. Help and advice is appreciated!

|

9/1/2018 9:11 PM

Welcome Claire! When you get a bike we can ride together! Woo!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/1/2018 9:12 PM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

Welcome Claire! When you get a bike we can ride together! Woo!

Soon and very soon Joe!

|

9/1/2018 9:45 PM

I wouldnt recommend the Mongoose L100 for someone your height, but if your budget is $300 then get the Legion L100. You'll most likely get used to the longer frame...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/1/2018 10:04 PM

Claire_Dwiggins wrote:

Hello,
My name is Claire and I’m looking to take up BMX biking. As a teenager I did stunt rollerblading but I always wanted to ...more

Fitbikeco str is the way to go. It felt good when I was 5’4” (when I got it) and now that I’m 5’8” it still feels really good.

|

smile

9/1/2018 10:55 PM

Claire_Dwiggins wrote:

Hello,
My name is Claire and I’m looking to take up BMX biking. As a teenager I did stunt rollerblading but I always wanted to ...more

PastaIsLitty wrote:

Fitbikeco str is the way to go. It felt good when I was 5’4” (when I got it) and now that I’m 5’8” it still feels really good. ...more

Fit Str isnt full chromo and its above $300

|

9/1/2018 11:40 PM

Hey Claire
Check out this thread that I wrote for everything you need to know about shopping for a bike.

For your budget, the L100 is the best bike structurally. As mentioned above, you may eventually decide you want a shorter frame, but that's all the more reason to upgrade later on!

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/2/2018 12:18 AM

All the good info has basically been said so I just settle for saying welcome to the sport and vital forumtongue also, the upper body strength will increase naturally with riding so don't stress too much about that.

|

9/3/2018 11:13 AM

Sunday complete bikes are pretty solid choice for your $$$ Fit is overrated imo

|

9/3/2018 11:23 AM

|

9/3/2018 4:23 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

As much of a Sunday fanboy as I am, I have to say, their lower-end completes are way overrated too...

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/3/2018 4:26 PM

surrealsickness wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

As much of a Sunday fanboy as I am, I have to say, their lower-end completes are way overrated too...

Ya i would never buy a Sunday complete... WAAAAAAY overpriced imo

|

9/3/2018 4:54 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Fit Str isnt full chromo and its above $300

Ya, but for a 120 lbs beginner rider a full chromoly bike isn't going to be necessary let's be honest with each other here.

|

9/3/2018 4:56 PM

King_Maker wrote:

Ya, but for a 120 lbs beginner rider a full chromoly bike isn't going to be necessary let's be honest with each other here.

But it's still OVER her budget for a shittier bike.. so your post is irrelevant lol

|

9/3/2018 5:50 PM

King_Maker wrote:

But think about the long-term. Bought my full chromoly setup in 2013 and the frame is still going strong. I got that bike in 7th grade, 90 LBS. I’m 107 LBS now in college and there's no fault in my frame after 5 years.

It’ll be worth it, go full chromoly.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/3/2018 6:36 PM

Get this ! Good entry level complete that has a smaller geometry that would be good for your size and has brakes so you don’t die getting hit by a car

bike

|

9/3/2018 6:51 PM

Be ready for every guy at the skatepark/this forum to hit on you.

|

It’s all bmx

9/3/2018 6:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2018 6:58 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

If I were her I just wouldn't wear anything like yoga pants, skinny jeans etc. Just wear like regular jeans and a t-shirt.

|

9/3/2018 7:50 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

But it's still OVER her budget for a shittier bike.. so your post is irrelevant lol

Nah, telling someone that is brand new to bmx and is only 120 lbs to buy a full chromoly bike is a waste. Give the person some actual insight into buying a bike like top tube size for their height.

|

9/3/2018 8:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2018 8:03 PM

King_Maker wrote:

Nah, telling someone that is brand new to bmx and is only 120 lbs to buy a full chromoly bike is a waste. Give the person some ...more

Wtf your post is still invalid. The Fit STR is ABOVE HER BUDGET. And it's a SHITTIER bike. Where the fuck is your logic at????

So what the bike may be a little long? You can get used to that. There's 6'5" guys out there riding 20.5" top tube frames....

And plus, why the fuck wouldnt you get a full chromoly bike IN YOUR BUDGET if you were a beginner? The parts will just last longer. Why would you buy a shitty bike because you're a beginner????

|

9/3/2018 11:41 PM

adamnmexican wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

If I were her I just wouldn't wear anything like yoga pants, skinny jeans etc. Just wear like regular jeans and a t-shirt.

Sounds like if I was going to give someone fashion advice smile

|

Hmmm

9/4/2018 1:11 AM

King_Maker wrote:

Nah, telling someone that is brand new to bmx and is only 120 lbs to buy a full chromoly bike is a waste. Give the person some ...more

You better be trolling there, King...

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/4/2018 4:12 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

I'll hit on her right now. Yo Claire! If you were a fruit, you'd be a FINE-apple!

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/4/2018 4:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/4/2018 5:00 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

I'll hit on her right now. Yo Claire! If you were a fruit, you'd be a FINE-apple!

Looks like you're within throwing distance away. Lol.

On another note. Your name reminds me of a scene from The Simpsons.

|

9/4/2018 5:01 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

jbales wrote:

I actually made this joke in another thread recently. I think I just replied to his comment that his name was the worst I'd ever heard, hopefully he's a Simpsons fan and got the reference haha

|

9/4/2018 5:01 AM

RumHam wrote:

I actually made this joke in another thread recently. I think I just replied to his comment that his name was the worst I'd ...more

laughing laughing
|

9/4/2018 5:04 AM

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

jbales wrote:

RumHam wrote:

I actually made this joke in another thread recently. I think I just replied to his comment that his name was the worst I'd ...more

NO! JOEY JOE JOE!

Of course I get the reference...that's why it's the name lol

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/4/2018 5:10 AM

adamnmexican wrote:

JoeyJoeJoe wrote:

jbales wrote:

I know! I'm technically in Amherst. She's in East Amherst. I bet I've run into her before...

|

Hey, I'm trying!
Instagram

9/4/2018 5:41 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Can we continue wearing yoga pants tho?

|

9/4/2018 5:50 AM

Rabbe wrote:

Can we continue wearing yoga pants tho?

Yea, the guys are fine on the yoga pants??

laughinglaughinglaughing

|