Beginner Freestyle Bikes? Help!

Related:
Create New Tag

11/21/2015 9:43 AM

Hey there,
I'm pretty new to this site, but for as long as I can remember I've been obsessed with BMX biking on youtube, and constantly go down to the park to watch people ride.
I've been riding trails with my Gary Fisher mountain bike for years, but I want to finally start looking for a BMX...
Looking for any advice on picking my first bike, but I'm fairly positive I want to go with a freestyle ride. I just have no idea on what brands to look out for, or what setups would be ideal for a beginner.

Thanks so much for your help!

|

11/21/2015 11:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/21/2015 11:43 AM

Hi Nellalea -

When picking your first BMX bike the most important thing is size. In general, we measure BMX bikes by frame length.

Most complete bike frames measure from 20"-21" (top tube length). I consider ever .25" in between to be a full size. How tall are you?

If you are buying new, I would strongly recommend looking at a 2015 bike. There are lots available in the Canadian market this year, and you can get a good deal on one.

Besides size, the more you spend on a bike the better the quality will be. It will be stronger, and lighter. As bikes get more expensive, they will generally have more chromoly in the frame, fork and bars. Chromoly is a very strong and light steel, that is preferred in higher end bikes, but at the entry level isn't always offered because it is expensive.

If you have a good local bike shop, they are a good resource for information, and if you can actually try out a bike there that's awesome. If not, we're here to help!

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

11/21/2015 7:29 PM

Thanks so much for your response!
I'm 5'4, and I weigh 110 if thats anything to factor in as well.
Definitely looking at buying new, unless something comes up thats really nice in the used ads. Living in the GTA, I've seen a lot of 2015 bikes on "buy and sell" sites around here... also with the winter coming up I feel that I may find a few nice sales here and there (fingers crossed)!

I am looking to spend around $200-$500.

|

11/21/2015 7:42 PM

Look into kink completes. They make some nice bikes.

|

I love my bike but i hate myself
bike check

IG @curtis_cantbmxwell
@powersbikeshop
@kirolling

11/23/2015 2:01 PM

nellalea,

Being 5,4 for you I would suggest a 20.5 frame.
For most companies a 20.5 or there about is a standard size for frames, though when it comes to completes 20.75 -.85 seems to be the standard size. If you can definitely try and find a full cro-moly frame.

If your main aim is to ride trails a 20.75 will feel a little more stable ( longer wheel base) but will feel harder to throw around, mind you coming off a MTB it should feel relatively easier anyway.

Not sure of the pricing in Canada but have a look at something like the Eastern Shovel head RRP 489-519 USD.
There are other completes but this gives you a guide of what to look for.

|

11/23/2015 2:19 PM

Yeah, you've got a ton of options if you are from the GTA.

I'm sure you know about JoyRide 150 in Markham. It's probably the best indoor bike park in the world.

I would stick to a 20.25"-20.5" frame, and then look for a bike with sealed bearings, and as much chromoly as you can get within your frame fork and bars. You can always upgrade from their but this will give you a really strong starting point that you can really progress with.

If you're buying new, for the Black Friday weekend this week we'll be clearing out the 2015 Fit Dugan 1 (20.5" frame) in Gloss Red for $499 which is an awesome price in Canada!

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx