Beginner choosing a BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2017 10:45 AM

Hi all,

I met Eddie Fiola this weekend and it has inspired me to get into BMX! I'm a total beginner (last time I rode I was about 12). After doing some research I like the look of the Colony Premise, has anyone got one of these and can recommend? Or is there any other bikes in that price range that are better? I want to learn how to tailwhip etc, can that be done on this bike as it doesn't have gyro? Also it comes without a front brake is there any tricks that need it? Mainly going to be riding it around the streets and doing flatland stuff, maybe take it to the skatepark if I ever get any better! I know I'm getting ahead of myself slightly but I'd like to buy something future proof. I'm from the UK and the Colony is £370. ( 21, 5ft10, 190lbs) cheers guys.

|

7/17/2017 12:49 PM

jakeTG95 wrote:

Hi all,

I met Eddie Fiola this weekend and it has inspired me to get into BMX! I'm a total beginner (last time I rode I was ...more

If you want to focus primarily on flatland, a gyro would be wise. And a good front brake (however, no bikes really come with a good front brake now, so would mean also upgrading forks) will open up a lot of tricks, especially as you're just getting into it. Loads of flatlanders ride brakeless, but also ride with just a back brake, or just a front brake.
Geometry wise, most bikes should be OK for flatland, unless it's aimed specifically at trails.

Bikes are generally the same kind of spec/quality within any given price range, so unless you can up your budget by £100 or more, it'll be fine.

It comes with gyro tabs (the little holes on the headtube) so fitting a gyro shouldn't be a problem, but they're not cheap. You'll need the mounts that bolt onto the tabs, the floating spinny part, a top plate, and upper and lower cables.

That's a good bike for the price, but you'll really struggle to find anything as good for less, so use that as your benchmark

|

7/17/2017 12:53 PM

For that price that bike is actually pretty good... it's got full Cromoly frame, forks, and bars. And it's cool it has double wall rims.... and about the brakes you could always remove them and ride brakeless or upgrade the brakes to a better brake system that has a gyro system. And you don't really need a front brake either unless you start to do alot of tricks on your front wheel...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/17/2017 1:04 PM

What Steve said above about upgraging forks isn't completely accurate because if you look at pictures of the bike it has a 990 brake mount on the fork.

Photo

|

7/17/2017 1:12 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

What Steve said above about upgraging forks isn't completely accurate because if you look at pictures of the bike it has a 990 ...more

Photo

Sorry to keep adding replies but you would need one of these to run a front brake on those forks....

|

7/17/2017 2:03 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

If you want to focus primarily on flatland, a gyro would be wise. And a good front brake (however, no bikes really come with a ...more

Thanks for the detailed reply Steve, do you know of any other pre made bikes of a similar price / quality that come with a Gyro? Also if I did go for the Colony, can you tailspin on them without a Gyro? (not sure why I'm so obsessed with tailwhipping!) I would assume the cables would get tangled in the handle bars?

|

7/17/2017 2:04 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote: Photo

Sorry to keep adding replies but you would need one of these to run a front brake on those forks....

Thanks for that mate, does that mean with this adapter I could install front brakes without upgrading the forks?

|

7/17/2017 2:08 PM

jakeTG95 wrote:

Thanks for that mate, does that mean with this adapter I could install front brakes without upgrading the forks?

Yup, I used the same thing for a bit and it works great

|

7/17/2017 2:13 PM

Oh one other thing I should mention, you will have to change the top cap on your bike if you want to run a front. Get this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/colony-fork-top-cap/rp-prod114257

|

7/17/2017 2:13 PM

Super-Pawl wrote:

Yup, I used the same thing for a bit and it works great

Sweet thanks

|

7/17/2017 3:42 PM

That white one is sick! Some people might not like the teal, but i think the white, black and teal looks sick. Very nice looking complete.

|

7/17/2017 4:58 PM

johnnypoopoopants wrote:

That white one is sick! Some people might not like the teal, but i think the white, black and teal looks sick. Very nice ...more

Yeah man I agree, will definetly be the one I get if I go for that model.

|

7/17/2017 7:18 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

What Steve said above about upgraging forks isn't completely accurate because if you look at pictures of the bike it has a 990 ...more

jakeTG95 wrote:

Yeah you would be able to run front brakes with those forks with that adapter...

|

7/18/2017 12:44 PM

Nice, might end up eventually getting one for my bike, my bike came with a cheap front brake that just bolted to the hole in the forks, but it wasn't worth a f*ck so it got binned, Didn't fancy upgrading my forks so this could be right up my alley for adding a decent front brake setup.

|

7/18/2017 1:10 PM

Thanks guys, I've ordered the Colony Premise and it should arrive Thursday, can't wait! Not really sure where to start learning to be honest, any tips?

|

7/18/2017 2:36 PM

jakeTG95 wrote:

Thanks guys, I've ordered the Colony Premise and it should arrive Thursday, can't wait! Not really sure where to start ...more

Just try to get bunny hops, manuals, and learn to drop in bowls and quarter pipes and then the rest will come when you're ready. Like 180s, 360s, airing out, barspins, etc.

|