Beginner to BMX

Related:
Create New Tag

3/9/2020 2:49 AM

To preface, I rode at skate parks with friends as a kid but in no way would i call it riding bmx. Was more into bombing hills and parking garages on a long board. Well at 25 i have some injuries from my time in the military and can't long board the same due to bad tendons, knee pain and weight gain. The whole full lunge thing kicking off kills me eventually.

After a long 2 weeks looking into bikes and thinking I'll need a 24" cruiser that i can do street and maybe a little park due to my size and a 20" is too small blah blah. Which i will still get one eventually but I've officially decided and bought a 20" with a 20.75 TT, the WTP Reason '19. Thank you to @riderinblack and his Old Mans Guide for ending my search and being so informational for someone who hasnt had a decent bike since 2005, that was still 40lbs of steel.

I was gonna go with the trust on a deal from Albes but i came across a forum post on here about Dans Comp. And thank you to that person praising them because i found the Reason for 20% off on top of their $25 off coupon and free shipping. Which all of these things i appreciated. Instead of having to spend the 700 and more on the Trust and got the Reason for 430.

Did i make the right choice? I feel like i did for the bang for my buck aspect. Does my wife think im crazy? Yes. Is she pissed at how much i spent even after i told her i saved almost $200? Oh yes. (She thinks walmart sells good bikes and she's too stubborn to listen) I think i did my fair share of researching and even saved you guys the pain of listening to the same ole posts that just keeping asking is this or that good for me, when no one knows what I'll enjoy.

Lastly, does anyone have one? What issues will i come across with these bikes? Finding reviews or people in english that have them on youtube is harder than i thought. BMX is not as popular anymore it seems from what i can tell but fuck it.

I'll update this once i get my bike in this week. Hopefully there's no issues.

|

3/9/2020 4:39 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/10/2020 5:14 AM

I don't have a WTP but they are known to make decent shit. All things being equal, most completes are likely made on the same assembly plants, next to one another in a factory in Taiwan to each manufacturers specs. That said, I don't think you'll have any particular problems with any particular parts. Keep an eye on your wheels and spokes as they will surely show signs of loosening as you ride (all new bikes do). You may need to have them tensioned several times before they settle down and stay tight. If you built your bike yourself, be sure you are using grease on nearly everything (youtube it). Your seat post should be greased as well as stem bolts, & such. Again, in the interest of time, I'll leave that to you to investigate.. Keep an eye on your cranks and ensuring they bolts are always tight. Pedals are another area that you should grease and keep tight. They don't typically loosen once tight but you don't want that mess at an inopportune time. Anyway, welcome to the sport! I hope you get a lot out of it and are able to get past your prior injuries.

P.S. Thank you for your service.

|

3/9/2020 11:03 AM

Just ride. I'm 48 and just getting into it. See how your body does.

Sounds like a good choice in bikes. Can we ask how tall you are?

Thank you for serving.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/9/2020 1:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/9/2020 1:12 PM

DadBodBiking wrote:

To preface, I rode at skate parks with friends as a kid but in no way would i call it riding bmx. Was more into bombing hills and parking garages on a long board. Well at 25 i have some injuries from my time in the military and can't long board the same due to bad tendons, knee pain and weight gain. The whole full lunge thing kicking off kills me eventually.

After a long 2 weeks looking into bikes and thinking I'll need a 24" cruiser that i can do street and maybe a little park due to my size and a 20" is too small blah blah. Which i will still get one eventually but I've officially decided and bought a 20" with a 20.75 TT, the WTP Reason '19. Thank you to @riderinblack and his Old Mans Guide for ending my search and being so informational for someone who hasnt had a decent bike since 2005, that was still 40lbs of steel.

I was gonna go with the trust on a deal from Albes but i came across a forum post on here about Dans Comp. And thank you to that person praising them because i found the Reason for 20% off on top of their $25 off coupon and free shipping. Which all of these things i appreciated. Instead of having to spend the 700 and more on the Trust and got the Reason for 430.

Did i make the right choice? I feel like i did for the bang for my buck aspect. Does my wife think im crazy? Yes. Is she pissed at how much i spent even after i told her i saved almost $200? Oh yes. (She thinks walmart sells good bikes and she's too stubborn to listen) I think i did my fair share of researching and even saved you guys the pain of listening to the same ole posts that just keeping asking is this or that good for me, when no one knows what I'll enjoy.

Lastly, does anyone have one? What issues will i come across with these bikes? Finding reviews or people in english that have them on youtube is harder than i thought. BMX is not as popular anymore it seems from what i can tell but fuck it.

I'll update this once i get my bike in this week. Hopefully there's no issues.

Personally, if ur gonna ride skateparks n street, that 24” may not be what you wanted. My 24” is my lightest bike by weight, but rotational wheel weight & all the other science behind these bikes simply areN’t conducive. Mine is built for our local track. I don’t race, i just love the nostalgic feeling of bmx on a track. i’m 47 and a worn out, torn up vet like yourseld. the age has nothing to do with wheelsize. Application does.

|

Come, as you are. As you were. As “they” want you to be....

3/9/2020 1:14 PM

But dont get me wrong, there are PLENTy of ripping 24” riders out there.

|

3/9/2020 1:15 PM

Also, keep in mind...you can’t have enuff variety of bikes wink

|

3/9/2020 3:21 PM

Thanks for the input and info guys, i appreciate it.
I'm 6' 225lbs using this as an opportunity to force myself outside and lose some weight. Also im probably gonna have someone put it together for me for the sake of if something does break i can say it was put together by a LBS and not myself 😂

|

3/10/2020 11:02 AM

It's easy to put together. There are plenty of youtube vids, and it's fun to be able to fix whatever happens on your own. One thing to make sure of is to loosen, then tighten the rear wheel. Those come from the factory WAY WAY too tight

|

3/10/2020 12:59 PM

Yeah, I think it just depends on your skill level with tools and such. If you've never done anything like that it would probably be intimidating. But if you've wrenched on cars and such it will be simple.

|

Philippians 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Christ Jesus. Insta: SilentNightSun

3/10/2020 3:36 PM

DadBodBiking wrote:

Thanks for the input and info guys, i appreciate it.
I'm 6' 225lbs using this as an opportunity to force myself outside and lose some weight. Also im probably gonna have someone put it together for me for the sake of if something does break i can say it was put together by a LBS and not myself 😂

Bmx bikes are stupid simple to put together. I'd say you should just put it together yourself. You're going to have to learn how to anyways if you actually plan on riding for awhile.

|

3/11/2020 10:34 AM

First off..thanks for your service and welcome back to BMX! WTP make solid bikes and they typically come with ECLAT and Salt Plus (WTP's Discount Parts Brand), so the completes are solid bikes. The frames are built in the same factory in Taiwan as Cult and Sunday, and WTP have limited lifetime warranties on their frames.

As far as assembly, complete bikes come about 80% assembled by the manufacturer. BB, cranks, rear wheel/chain and brakes will be pre-installed on the bike. You will have to put on your handlebars, front wheel and pedals, and seat. You will need 5/6 mm hex wrench and 15/17 mm socket for your axle bolts. There are many you tube videos showing assembly of complete bikes. LBS will charge you $50-$75 to assemble. If you can tighten bolts, you will be fine. Use that money to upgrade the crappy pedals you get on the complete as well as a new seat (personal flair).

Again, welcome back and SEND THAT SHIT!

|

3/11/2020 11:28 PM

Alright guys here's my update since i got it in today. Thank you for the advice.

Photo

I did decide to put it together myself. Had to buy a set of deep well sockets since it would make life easier for many things and i didnt have a 19mm for the rear tire.
And i also have to go get some 6mm allen keys because the set i have only go to 5.5mm cuz thats what i needed for my motorcycle and the snapon set that i have is standard.

My biggest question is, what size is the t handle allen for the WTP seats or what multi tool do you guys recommend for the bike overall? If anything im heading to the store tomorrow anyways with the seat to just make sure i have the right one.

|

3/11/2020 11:29 PM

Undesemin wrote:

Bmx bikes are stupid simple to put together. I'd say you should just put it together yourself. You're going to have to learn how to anyways if you actually plan on riding for awhile.

Yeah they are, i was thinking nothing was pre assembled.

|

3/11/2020 11:31 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

Yeah, I think it just depends on your skill level with tools and such. If you've never done anything like that it would probably be intimidating. But if you've wrenched on cars and such it will be simple.

Yeah, cars airplanes in my case. That was much easier, i think i was stressing myself out.

|

3/12/2020 7:20 AM

DadBodBiking wrote:

Alright guys here's my update since i got it in today. Thank you for the advice.

Photo

I did decide to put it together myself. Had to buy a set of deep well sockets since it would make life easier for many things and i didnt have a 19mm for the rear tire.
And i also have to go get some 6mm allen keys because the set i have only go to 5.5mm cuz thats what i needed for my motorcycle and the snapon set that i have is standard.

My biggest question is, what size is the t handle allen for the WTP seats or what multi tool do you guys recommend for the bike overall? If anything im heading to the store tomorrow anyways with the seat to just make sure i have the right one.

Awesome looking whip, dude! Congrats! Have you had a chance to take it for a spin? If you haven't ridden BMX in a long time (or never) it will be a little disappointing that your new bike doesn't do simple trick by itself. LOL. Take your time & you'll pick up stuff as you go at your own pace. Again, congrats!

|

3/12/2020 8:02 AM

As far as tools, I use the Odyssey multi tool. Has every tool you need for your bike in one convenient tool that travels.

Here’s a link:
https://www.danscomp.com/odyssey-8in1-travel-tool-nickel-plated-y-710-nk/p1048369?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgrjGy5mV6AIVDvDACh3emwJoEAQYASABEgJ09vD_BwE

Picking up a small park Tools brand hex wrench triangle is not a bad idea either as it comes with 4/5/6 mm I believe which should work on every part on your bike.

|

3/12/2020 8:42 AM

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!

I like that color!!!!

Most bmx people take the reflectors. I wasn't sure where I landed on that but I don't have any on my bmx bikes cuz it does look cleaner and I'm not really planning on doing a lot of commuting with it..... LOL. I do ride it on the road though. But there's like barely any traffic in my subdivision, so..... I just do tricks in my driveway and the road in front of me and get out of the way if there is a car coming.

|

3/12/2020 6:27 PM

Fortyseven wrote:

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!

I like that color!!!!

Most bmx people take the reflectors. I wasn't sure where I landed on that but I don't have any on my bmx bikes cuz it does look cleaner and I'm not really planning on doing a lot of commuting with it..... LOL. I do ride it on the road though. But there's like barely any traffic in my subdivision, so..... I just do tricks in my driveway and the road in front of me and get out of the way if there is a car coming.

I enjoy the color way more than I thought I would, kinda like a pastel yellow.
I plan to take the reflector off but not break it, if I plan to ride it at night im gonna put it back on just because where I live there is no sidewalks for like a mile each way of road.

|

3/12/2020 6:30 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Awesome looking whip, dude! Congrats! Have you had a chance to take it for a spin? If you haven't ridden BMX in a long time (or never) it will be a little disappointing that your new bike doesn't do simple trick by itself. LOL. Take your time & you'll pick up stuff as you go at your own pace. Again, congrats!

Boy howdy I took it for a short ride down to the gas station and let me tell you, I havent been able to do cardio for almost 3 years because of my hips and this was way better than running, pain wise, but I got winded so fast!

|

3/13/2020 6:07 AM

DadBodBiking wrote:

Photo

Mishinn_Control wrote:

DadBodBiking wrote:

Boy howdy I took it for a short ride down to the gas station and let me tell you, I havent been able to do cardio for almost 3 years because of my hips and this was way better than running, pain wise, but I got winded so fast!

I’ve got a bad knee from a running injury, I found getting back in to BMX was much easier on my joints. Take the bike out a few times a week if you can, will build up your endurance and you will get used to it in no time!

|

Follow my journey in Instagram: danbmxaus

3/13/2020 7:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2020 7:45 AM

Yeah. You'll get back to it. I started out slow and built up. But I went every day. Rain or shine. I was really extreme as to how I built up cuz of my health issues and I had very little energy. The first day on a bike I went about 20 yards down the road and turned back. The next day I went to the end of the block. The day after that I went around the block. Then a few blocks. So on and so forth. After about 3 weeks I built up to 2 miles. I forget how long it took me to get there but I took my time.

By the end of this summer 2 miles felt like nothing. And I was going to start going further. But then winter hit and it seemed like everything got harder to do again. LOL. There was more wind consistently and I think the bikes just don't roll as smooth when the temp drops. So I stayed at 2 miles all winter. I only missed one time from the snow being too hard to get through. It was just particularly windy that night and the snow was like...… deep sand ish. I got like a block and turned around. But there were about a half dozen or 8 snow storms I rode through where the snow wasn't too bad.

Anyways..... long story short, I built up slow, and you will get there. I'm sure you'll get your wind back a heck of a lot faster than I did and wont need to be so extreme in how slow you build up.

Also, I'm assuming you checked the tire pressure eh? Low pressure will make a bike hard to ride but I would imagine you know that. I never bought a bike shipped like that so I wasn't sure if they were pumped up at the proper psi or not.....

|

3/13/2020 7:56 AM

Fortyseven wrote:

Yeah. You'll get back to it. I started out slow and built up. But I went every day. Rain or shine. I was really extreme as to how I built up cuz of my health issues and I had very little energy. The first day on a bike I went about 20 yards down the road and turned back. The next day I went to the end of the block. The day after that I went around the block. Then a few blocks. So on and so forth. After about 3 weeks I built up to 2 miles. I forget how long it took me to get there but I took my time.

By the end of this summer 2 miles felt like nothing. And I was going to start going further. But then winter hit and it seemed like everything got harder to do again. LOL. There was more wind consistently and I think the bikes just don't roll as smooth when the temp drops. So I stayed at 2 miles all winter. I only missed one time from the snow being too hard to get through. It was just particularly windy that night and the snow was like...… deep sand ish. I got like a block and turned around. But there were about a half dozen or 8 snow storms I rode through where the snow wasn't too bad.

Anyways..... long story short, I built up slow, and you will get there. I'm sure you'll get your wind back a heck of a lot faster than I did and wont need to be so extreme in how slow you build up.

Also, I'm assuming you checked the tire pressure eh? Low pressure will make a bike hard to ride but I would imagine you know that. I never bought a bike shipped like that so I wasn't sure if they were pumped up at the proper psi or not.....

Oh yes i plan to go atleast 6 days a week whether its down the block or a mile.

Thankfully for the next few months i live in north west florida, the worst i have to deal with is rain.

I also noticed the pressure makes a difference. My hand pump for my jogging stroller only does 30 psi so i have to go to a pump to fill the tires the little extra they need for now. I ised to ride a stunt bike (motorcycle) and rode at like 20 psi for wheelies whereas normal would be 40ish depending on the riding i was doing.

|

3/13/2020 8:08 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/13/2020 8:11 AM

Yeah, but you're not pedaling a motorcycle. LOL. I've got a decent pressure checker too. When I started working on bikes I found the little cheap pen type don't really cut it. In my experience. Although they might make good ones like that. Mine is round. Still analog. I didn't feel like ponying up for a digital. Plus no batteries is good for me. LOL.

Dothan? Panama City? I've been to Panama City a few times.... But not at spring break. It was for business.

|

3/13/2020 9:16 AM

I'm in the Destim area. Beautiful area that will be hard to move from but there is close to 0 good parks out here from what I've seen just driving around. So my hometown will be a nice change when i do move back.

|

3/13/2020 10:12 AM

Oh duh, I just saw your take says Ft. Watlon Beach. LOL. Yeah I've heard of Destin. Where are you moving back to?

Hopefully you can hang around here and start showing us some vids or pics of you shredding. I love watching other people do tricks. At any level. I agree that it's not as popular as it once was but we all can keep it alive. LOL.

|

3/13/2020 11:19 AM

I didnt even realise it said it 😂 but yeah i enjoy this forum. Been a long time since I've kept up with one. Now to find other older peeps to ride with around here

|

3/13/2020 11:20 AM

I'll be moving back to wichita ks

|

3/14/2020 2:02 PM

Back to the Midwest. I'd ride with you if you were close to me. LOL.

|

3/15/2020 7:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/15/2020 9:01 AM

Yeah its gonna be oh so thrilling 😂
On another note ended up getting the bike in my car with ease compared to what i thought would happen with a baby.
Photo

Also ended up getting my wife a 26" cruiser and ordered a child seat for it so she can ride with me and the kiddo

|

3/16/2020 8:56 AM

Yaaaaaay!!! My wife and ride together in the summer and it has been a lot of fun. She likes to go after she gets home from work. I'm sure your wife will like it too and get on board with the bikes. Mine has been very supportive since she's kind of in on it too. Although she hasn't ridden much this winter. She went one day when it got warmer a couple weeks back.

It's always good to have stuff in common to do with your spouse. My wife and I are kind of different in our hobbies. We both like music though and for the last couple years we've been together on the worship team at church. When we were first married I played but she wasn't on the team at a different church. We sometimes sing songs together at church and at home.

Otherwise she's all about shopping for clothes and that wasn't really completely my thing. I was an outdoorsman hunter, shooter, camper. And she definitely wasn't. LOL. She doesn't really like to shoot. Biking is the first outdoors type thing she's been into. I will shop with her sometimes but the budget is super tight so we don't clothes shopping much these last few years. A little bit here and there. I did learn to go with her at times to make her happy though. But it's not my favorite thing to do. LOL. It's not like I don't like clothes... It's just I'd rather be doing other stuff and I feel like when I go into a clothes store there is something in the air that steals the energy right out of ya. Not sure what that is..... LOL.

Anyways... that was a lot of talking for responding to your pic. But basically I'm excited for you if your wife gets into riding with you. That will be fun and neat and eventually the kiddo too. It's a great family thing to do.

|