Beginners Bike (Sunday Primer?)

Related:
Create New Tag

10/12/2017 8:45 AM

Wassup guys. I reckon y'all get these posts quite often, so hopefully it's not too much of an annoyance.

I'm looking for a cheap, durable beginners bike to start on. I've been checking out the Sunday Primer, but am kinda clueless as to whether it's a durable bike or would be a good fit for me. I'm looking into mostly street/trail riding and maybe some flat ground. Just a good all around bike. I'm around 5'8 and 160. Think this is a good bike to start out on? or if not can anyone recommend some to look into? I want something that will take years of abuse without much worry and in the $350ish price range. Preferably a complete. Thanks a bunch.

|

10/12/2017 9:00 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 9:21 AM

If you are looking for longevity, you are better off looking for as much Chromoly as possible in the following places: Frame, Fork, Handlebars, Cranks, Spindles, Axles, etc... (generally in that order). Be aware of "Chromoly in all the right places" or "Full Chromo dropouts" etc... as this is marketing jargon that typically means a hi-tens steel frame with Chromoly thrown in here & there (TT, DT, HT).

For a complete new bike, for under $399 (in order of preference...IMHO):

Eastern Shovelhead
Hoffman Bama
Fit VHS
Mongoose Legion L100 ($289ish)

On the other hand, if you do some research on bikes you find on Craigslist, you can find some great deals on used bikes. BUT you have to do the research to know what you are getting into.

|

10/12/2017 9:04 AM

its not a bad bike to start out with. once you progress and start really abusing your bike the hi-ten stuff won't last as long, so you'd be wise to save up and be ready to upgrade parts down the road.

look up fit completes, the tom dugan bike is better spec'd but about $50-60 higher than your 350 budget

but yea if thats what your budget allows I say go for it!

|

It’s all bmx

10/12/2017 10:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 10:16 AM

yeah don't get the sunday primer. it's steel with an unsealed hub and unremovable brake mounts. If you have the money then get the Subrosa Letum. It's full chromo with a freecoaster and sealed hubs. It comes in matte black or a nice blue. I got the matte black and i absolutely love it. it's $500. Save up or you will regret it

|

Ride for yourself and have fun

10/12/2017 5:58 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm looking into all the bikes suggested and will probably choose one after researching a little more.

|

10/12/2017 7:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 7:34 PM

Some douchebag on this forum made this review, hes pretty worthless but Its a decent look at the cheapest decent bike out there if you are wanting to spend the absolute least amount of money.

Hopefully he doesnt annoy you too bad with his high pitched girly voice and feminine hands.
|

10/12/2017 9:24 PM

I enjoyed the review, not annoyed at all. He actually seemed very knowledgeable on the subject. Something I forgot to mention was pegs. I will definitely be wanting pegs all the way around at some point. He mentions they may not fit on the L 100, has anyone tried them on one? He also mentions that the wheels probably wouldn't hold up to impact very well and I will be jumping dirt hills at the very least as soon as I get it. I really think I can save and fork out a little more to at least reach the $400 mark and get one of the other options mentioned, but $250 is definitely tempting and far easier on my wallet. Will pegs fit on all of the other suggestions?

Another thing is cassette vs freecoaster. I've watched a few YouTube vids to get an idea of the difference and I think I have a fair grasp of it, but am still kinda stumped as to which would be better. It appears cassettes are more durable and cheaper, but that the freecoaster may be more beginner friendly and also more expensive. Is there a clear 'this is better than that" choice between the two? I've looked at all the bikes suggested and it appears all except the Subrosa (it is a sexy bike) are cassettes, so I'm thinking that cassette is probably what I'll be going with for now. I assume that in the future I could just swap one for the other without having to buy another bike entirely, so I guess it's not that big of an issue.

I didn't realize there were so many different options in performance and specs lol, but you guys have been very informative and I really appreciate the help.

|

10/12/2017 9:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/12/2017 9:40 PM

insaneshane wrote:

I enjoyed the review, not annoyed at all. He actually seemed very knowledgeable on the subject. Something I forgot to mention ...more

smile

The freecoaster thing boils down to this:

Cassette Pros:
-Better engagement
-Typically more reliable
-Nothing to adjust
-Sound (If you like it)
-Pedal pressure

Cassette cons:
-You have to backpedal when going fakie
-Noise (if you dont like it)

Freecoaster pros:
-More possible tricks/lines due to not losing momentum as easily backwards and less drag forwards.
- quiet if your somewhere you shouldnt be or you have neighbors that dont like noise

Freecoaster cons:
-Sometimes finicky
-lack of pedal pressure when you first start to pedal

Thats what comes to mind.

If youre looking at getting pegs all around you might be better off starting with a complete that comes with them or at least has axles that are ready for them. You will need a new front hub with the Mongoose Legion. The axle is flush with the nut when tightened all the way down.

|

10/13/2017 5:08 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Some douchebag on this forum made this review, hes pretty worthless but Its a decent look at the cheapest decent bike out ...more

You should relay to that douche that he should get an Eastern Shovelhead in the trans gold!

|

10/13/2017 5:14 AM

insaneshane wrote:

I enjoyed the review, not annoyed at all. He actually seemed very knowledgeable on the subject. Something I forgot to mention ...more

If you are a complete beginner, I'd say go with the cassette & learn to fakie the original way. If, after you learn fakies, you feel you want to try something new, give them a try. I just feel that there are other places to spend your money on that are more important that freecoasters at this point of your BMX "career".

At $400, my original recommendations stand:

Eastern Shovelhead
Hoffman Bama
Fit VHS

|

10/13/2017 5:21 AM

insaneshane wrote:

Don't get a freecoaster if youre a beginner... it's probably less user friendly than a cassette... and if you be dirt jumping and you're not riding fakie or doing fakie tricks then a freecoaster will make dirt jumping harder becasue of the high speed of dirt jumping and the slack of ingagement... for me I'm going to stick to a cassette.. I've tried freecoaster and they're just strange. Personally I don't like them... but if you're going to be dirt jumping for sure get a cassette...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/13/2017 6:07 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Some douchebag on this forum made this review, hes pretty worthless but Its a decent look at the cheapest decent bike out ...more

Mishinn_Control wrote:

You should relay to that douche that he should get an Eastern Shovelhead in the trans gold!

Ive heard that hes heard the trans gold finish is incredible!

|

10/13/2017 6:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/13/2017 7:25 AM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going with cassette for sure. I'm basically trying to decide between the three you listed, Mishinn, and the Dugan that adam mentioned. I'm leaning towards the VHS. Does it come with brakes? In the pic there are none that I see, but back brakes are listed under the specs. They aren't pedal brakes are they? Probably a very noob question lol, but do cassettes allow you to pedal backwards while you roll forward? I can stop without brakes for the time being and eventually put some on after I purchase it if it has none and I decide I need them. Other than that it's just looks. There's things I like and don't like about each of them as far as looks go. I'll have a while to think about it while I get the loot together.

|

10/13/2017 7:25 AM

insaneshane wrote:

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going with cassette for sure. I'm basically trying to decide between the three you listed, ...more

A cassette will allow you to coast and pedal backwards without stopping you. It does add a little bit more friction to the pawls and whatnot but thats just physics not what it was designed to do.

You can literally stand on your bike and backpedal all day without moving anywhere.

As for brakes. It is currently popular to run brakeless so some companies show you what the bike looks like after most would rip the brakes off.

No modern bmx bike that is made for tricks and going big will feature coaster brakes. Im sure they exist somewhere but it is not a feature that is standard nowadays. smile

|

10/13/2017 1:47 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll be posting when I make a decision and get one. Still researching and it'll take me a while to get the funds together. Thanks again everyone for all the help. Y'all are awesome.

|

10/13/2017 2:48 PM

insaneshane wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll be posting when I make a decision and get one. Still researching and it'll take me a ...more

You're very welcome! Let us know, we will wait for an update!

|

10/13/2017 2:49 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

This made me laugh so hard!grin grin

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

10/13/2017 2:52 PM

Bulletpup wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

This made me laugh so hard!grin grin

wink

Glad you caught it!
|