Beginners bike

Related:
Create New Tag

4/1/2017 12:17 PM

Hey! After watching alot of BMX vlogs (John Hicks, Brandon Begin etcetc.) for the last cpl of months, i've finally decided to buy myself a bike of my own. But the problem is that I honestly do not know shit about what kind of brands are good nor bad... :p So, Im currently abt 178cm and 72ish kgs if that matters, my budget would be anything from $200-600 but I guess I shouldnt spend too much at my first bike since I dont know shit about tricks either. Any good recommendations? Thanks in advance

|

4/1/2017 2:21 PM

addyo wrote:

Hey! After watching alot of BMX vlogs (John Hicks, Brandon Begin etcetc.) for the last cpl of months, i've finally decided to ...more

Get yourself a cheap complete, I got a used Fit VH1 2014 edition and it's been perfectly fine. You could always snipe a cheap custom off t'bay but you will want to get a good idea of brands first before you do that.

Completes from a reputable brand will be more than sufficient to learn on.

|

4/1/2017 2:35 PM

Rusko187 wrote:

Get yourself a cheap complete, I got a used Fit VH1 2014 edition and it's been perfectly fine. You could always snipe a cheap ...more

I'll probably go for a complete one then. As far as it seems, getting a used BMX that's not from EXTREME here in Sweden seems like somewhat of a hassle. I guess a 2017 Fit VH-1 would be perfectly fine then?

|

4/1/2017 2:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 4/1/2017 6:01 PM

|

4/1/2017 3:13 PM

addyo wrote:

Hey! After watching alot of BMX vlogs (John Hicks, Brandon Begin etcetc.) for the last cpl of months, i've finally decided to ...more

I'm kinda in the same scenario as you, but I've been looking at 2nd hand bikes, some of the brands you might want to be looking out for are

Stolen
WeThePeople
Hyper
Total
Eastern
Fit
Cult
Kink
Haro

That should give you a good start, most of them have varying price ranges and specs so if looking @ a used bike you will ideally want to find out the model to tell whether its entry level, mid range or higher end, the pricing should give you some idea but i have seen people wanting silly money for entry level stuff and i've seen higher end stuff cheap, just depends on the seller

|

4/1/2017 4:09 PM

We The People has a nice bike, the Crysis, for about $580. Full cro-mo, double-wall rims, gyro tabs, removable brake mount...it's available in a 21" top tube with 9" bars which is the size I ride and I'm approx. your height and it's pretty comfortable for me.

We The People seems to be at the top of most people's lists, and if I purchase another complete it will probably be this bike.

If you get a new, low- budget bike, even from a reputable company, in my opinion it's fairly disposable. The high-tensile steel won't stand up to much, and if you bend the frame, it's not like you have a lot of quality parts to swap onto a new frame: as I said most everything will be steel, also the wheels will be single-wall, the cranks most likely 8-spline through an American loose bottom bracket.

That's the boat I was put in: rediscovered bmx, impulse-purchased a budget bike, bent the frame within 3 weeks and moved up to a rough equivalent to the above-mentioned Crysis. So I have a 270 dollar, brand new junk bike I can steal some very basic parts off of (bar ends, tire tubes, chain links, pedals) and maybe borrow some larger components off of if I damage something on my better bike and want to ride while waiting for parts delivery.

So, many people may disagree on buying a higher quality bike to start, but it's my personal experience that it may work out better for you.

|

4/1/2017 9:30 PM

No matter what company, these are the guidelines you want to follow for the best investment of your money, regardless of new or used:

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bear weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay....full Chromoly
fork: both the steering tube and the legs...full Chromoly
the handle bars...full Chromoly
the crank arms and pedal axels....full Chromoly

Rims should be welded double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

In the end, the brand is not so much important as the build of the bike. In any given price range, from brand to brand, the bikes are the same for the most part. Some "Gems" to look for , in my opinion, would be

Hoffman 'Bama - has all of the required skeletal structure above. Some of the parts are "mid-class", but these are things that will wear out anyways and can be replaced with better parts as you learn to ride and get better

Colony Inception - same as the 'Bama, but Colony is known for some better parts so that might be a plus

I also personally like Verde, and WeThePeople as well....

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

4/2/2017 8:44 AM

If you can make your budget have $700 dollars I highly suggest you get this bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152494028764

Bone Deth Bastard 20.5 frame

Check it out for yourself. I would get it in a heartbeat if I had the money and if he shipped internationally.

|

4/2/2017 11:17 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, highly appreciate it! It's currently leaning towards a buy from Hoffman, whereas the 'Bama 25 Year Anniversary ed. is the top candidate. Thanks for the help guys, imma put the order in this week :D

|

4/3/2017 5:33 AM

Enjoy your ride man smile. Where are you ordering from?

|

4/3/2017 5:54 AM

addyo wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions, highly appreciate it! It's currently leaning towards a buy from Hoffman, whereas the 'Bama 25 ...more

I was highly considering that bike as well...especially in the raw colorway.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/3/2017 6:26 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

No matter what company, these are the guidelines you want to follow for the best investment of your money, regardless of new ...more

I second for Verde! I ride a Verde Luxe and it comes insanely dialed right out of the box, looks great, and has a ton of awesome parts. Saving up for something like this would last you a very long time! It's an $800 bike but worth every penny! Photo

|

4/3/2017 8:18 AM

seanthemechanic wrote:

I second for Verde! I ride a Verde Luxe and it comes insanely dialed right out of the box, looks great, and has a ton of ...more

sooo jealous that you got a 2016 too. I ike the Cinema 777 rims and the matte colorway better than the 2017...not that the 2017 is bad. that is what I am getting hopefully soon

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/3/2017 10:10 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

No matter what company, these are the guidelines you want to follow for the best investment of your money, regardless of new ...more

seanthemechanic wrote:

I second for Verde! I ride a Verde Luxe and it comes insanely dialed right out of the box, looks great, and has a ton of ...more

sXeBMXer wrote:

sooo jealous that you got a 2016 too. I ike the Cinema 777 rims and the matte colorway better than the 2017...not that the ...more

Yeah I agree the 2016 looks a lot better than the 17. Both great bikes though don't get me wrong. And yes I agree about the cinema's as well

|

4/3/2017 10:14 AM

Better hurry up though dude! They don't make that many of them haha

|

4/3/2017 3:56 PM

addyo wrote:

weegaz22 wrote:

I'm kinda in the same scenario as you, but I've been looking at 2nd hand bikes, some of the brands you might want to be ...more

Better add in Mafia. While most of the complete bikes are not cromo, everything is sealed and they have really good color schemes. If it makes any difference Harry Main rides for them and they have some jet fuel type colors on the upper end bikes. And if I was just getting into BMX I would probably consider one. They are very good priced and if you want the money you save over say most completes...you can snag a brand new frame from ACE, Dans, Epic, Empire and so on in the sale area and have a dialed bike. I have seen multiple frames under $175 and ACE has killer deals. Call them up and ask for Joe, he will hook you up. Matter fact he may have some scratch and dent bikes that are say $800 that he will hook you up with for 2-300 off. He did it for a friend of mine after his bike was stolen he only had $650 and ended up with a sick WTP retail on it was $900 (before shipping and any tax) he paid $590 and $35 shipping.

Just google ACE BMX I don't recall if that is the website or not but google pulls it up for you with that as the search. I have always built customs so best advice for you is:

Avoid steel if you can look for "full cromo" or "chromoly" and as many sealed parts as you can get. Be SURE you don't order a 21 inch top tube if your only 5' tall. Go to a local shop and sit on bikes and when your happy how it feels get the measurements. You will thank me and everyone who has said it about measurements trust me.

|

4/3/2017 4:53 PM

Uh yeah. Never ever recommend mafia to anyone. My personal choice for someone starting out with a low budget is the Hoffman Bama. Period

|

4/3/2017 6:53 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

Uh yeah. Never ever recommend mafia to anyone. My personal choice for someone starting out with a low budget is the Hoffman ...more

Bam!!!....no pun intended!!

Definitely a great bike for the buck!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

4/10/2017 10:55 AM

addyo wrote:

Get all Chromoly nomatter what you do and especially DO NOT GET high tensile steel

|

4/10/2017 5:57 PM

Gack2000 wrote:

Better add in Mafia. While most of the complete bikes are not cromo, everything is sealed and they have really good color ...more

Mafia has the worst cost/quality ratio imo

|

Fo' pegs or no pegs

4/13/2017 8:49 AM

Okay, update. Apparently Hoffman Bikes doesn't ship to Sweden, and Dans Comp will cost like $200+ for shipping here. Didn't find any good bike shops here in Sweden, but did find a bike shop that seems to be shipping to Sweden for a low cost (Chainreactioncycles). Are there any bikes there that yall can recommend? im so lost atm

|

4/13/2017 9:54 AM

addyo wrote:

Okay, update. Apparently Hoffman Bikes doesn't ship to Sweden, and Dans Comp will cost like $200+ for shipping here. Didn't ...more

The colony premise looks about the best you can get for your money. Full chromoly frame forks and bars, and all the other good stuff for €530

|

4/15/2017 1:37 PM

addyo wrote:

Anything full chromoloy

|

4/16/2017 3:07 PM

Get yourself a fit, and over time just replace parts with after market ones

|

Trails not Rails

Trails YT Channel

4/17/2017 8:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/17/2017 8:42 AM

mongoose, and SE seem to make some really decent budget friendly bikes. like 48 spline cranks, full chromoly, female axles, and they are all in your price range. I really don't get why more people aren't buying or recommending these bikes.

|

4/17/2017 9:45 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

mongoose, and SE seem to make some really decent budget friendly bikes. like 48 spline cranks, full chromoly, female axles, ...more

The mongoose bikes aren't all that. It sounds good on paper, but the tyres and stems aren't great. And although the hubs are sealed, they're nowhere near the quality of an aftermarket hub. I'd assume the frames/forks/bars and cranks are all really budget too. Full chromoly doesn't necessarily mean it'll be as good quality as aftermarket parts. If they were everyone would use them.
They're still really good bikes for the money, but I'd always recommend spending more and getting a better bike

|