Best Beginner (Complete) Bike For Adult?

Related:
Create New Tag

10/3/2016 1:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2016 1:51 PM

Hi,

I'm in college and looking to get into the BMX scene, from United State. As a young kid I had a cheap shitting BMX bike from Target, that obviously did not last long.

My budget is a maximum of $500 (huge stretch), although I really would like to be (and need to be) in the $300-$400 range. I would like to buy locally (not online), and the stores around here are somewhat selective with brands (Fit, Kink, Subrosa (Lots), Sunday, We The People, Stolen).

I would like to not be brand specific, but I do not want to purchase online, I want to do locally, and my shops only carry the aboved brands.

I'm a college student (meaning budget is a major concern), 5'10 150-155lbs on a good day.

I'm looking to do mainly park riding, but also some street.

As a beginner, I would like brakes (although brakeless looks cool, I am a noobie so I really want to master my control over the bike first).

TopTube seems like personal preference, but at 5'10 I'm assuming I should be looking at 20.5, 20.75 maybe even 21?

I recently found a Stolen Sinner 100% Chromo for $400 http://www.stolenbmx.com/completebikes16/sinner/ is this a good buy if I can cop local?


|

10/3/2016 2:25 PM

I got the stereobike wire 2014 complete, held up to quite an abuse haha!
So maybe have a look at the stereobike completes you could get in your area or with not to much shipping costs.

Another plus on these bikes, not only are they really solid (to my experience) but also look really good!

One little disclaimer, the stereobike with the snake print on the frame looks really cool but I saw someone who had this and the whole print was a sticker and came of really soon so put that one to the side ..

|



Check out SeckClothing.com ! Awesome BMX clothing and parts! For any questions you can message me wink

10/3/2016 2:47 PM

Seck wrote:

I got the stereobike wire 2014 complete, held up to quite an abuse haha!
So maybe have a look at the stereobike completes you could get in your area or with not to much shipping costs.

Another plus on these bikes, not only are they really solid (to my experience) but also look really good!

One little disclaimer, the stereobike with the snake print on the frame looks really cool but I saw someone who had this and the whole print was a sticker and came of really soon so put that one to the side ..

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but is this a brand based outside of United States?

I went to their site and the price was all in pounds.

I know every Bike co. sells everywhere, I was just wondering if some only do countries exclusive.

I'll check it out though, I know my local shops sell the brands above, have you had any experience with them? (Sunday, Kink, Fit, Subrosa, WTP).

|

10/3/2016 3:35 PM

Seck wrote:

I got the stereobike wire 2014 complete, held up to quite an abuse haha!
So maybe have a look at the stereobike completes you could get in your area or with not to much shipping costs.

Another plus on these bikes, not only are they really solid (to my experience) but also look really good!

One little disclaimer, the stereobike with the snake print on the frame looks really cool but I saw someone who had this and the whole print was a sticker and came of really soon so put that one to the side ..

SasQ wrote:

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but is this a brand based outside of United States?

I went to their site and the price was all in pounds.

I know every Bike co. sells everywhere, I was just wondering if some only do countries exclusive.

I'll check it out though, I know my local shops sell the brands above, have you had any experience with them? (Sunday, Kink, Fit, Subrosa, WTP).

Hey, I just looked it up and stereobikes are based in Germany.

I know quite a lot of people that ride WTP completes, wtp completes seem to be really good too.

I don't know many people that ride subrosa, this might just be a coincidence but so far haven't heard a lot of great things about subrosa completes.. not saying they are bad but I personally probably wouldn't get one, but this is just a personal feeling

Sunday and kink make some great parts in my opinion, frames especially, I am looking to get a soundwave v2 of sunday sooner or later. Had a quick look at the kink completes and they are really nice!


Don't have much to say on fitbikeco so far

Considering your budget I think the best option would be a we the people, I think the porice/quality is pretty good on those.

One other tip
Try to look at some completes with (preferably full) chromoly frames, it might be a bit more expensive but if you can afford it do it. Last thing you want is to need to buy another frame in a year or so, frames are expensive haha


|



Check out SeckClothing.com ! Awesome BMX clothing and parts! For any questions you can message me wink

10/3/2016 4:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/3/2016 4:22 PM

Seck wrote:

Hey, I just looked it up and stereobikes are based in Germany.

I know quite a lot of people that ride WTP completes, wtp completes seem to be really good too.

I don't know many people that ride subrosa, this might just be a coincidence but so far haven't heard a lot of great things about subrosa completes.. not saying they are bad but I personally probably wouldn't get one, but this is just a personal feeling

Sunday and kink make some great parts in my opinion, frames especially, I am looking to get a soundwave v2 of sunday sooner or later. Had a quick look at the kink completes and they are really nice!


Don't have much to say on fitbikeco so far

Considering your budget I think the best option would be a we the people, I think the porice/quality is pretty good on those.

One other tip
Try to look at some completes with (preferably full) chromoly frames, it might be a bit more expensive but if you can afford it do it. Last thing you want is to need to buy another frame in a year or so, frames are expensive haha


I have looked around at the completes for all of those and here I one's I have found in my price range:

Sunday Primer: http://www.sundaybikes.com/bikes/2017-completes/primer/2017-primer-black/ (Weight: 25.9lbs)

Fit Prospect: http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2016/prospect/ (Weight: 25.5lbs)

Kink Gap XL: https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/gap-xl/ (Weight 25lbs 12 ounces)

We The People Nova: http://wethepeoplebmx.de/nova/ (Weight 25.8lbs)

They all have various different TT lengths.. from 20.25-21, with roughly all the same weight coming in at 25lbs (not sure if that is light/average/heavy for a BMX bike but it is a complete.

Which looks the most bang for the buck here? I really like the Sunday & Fit looks wise..but I just saw on another thread they tend to be expensive?

Also, I check out the brand you recommended and they got great reviews but don't sell them around my local BMX shops and I really want to buy/support locally. The brands listed above are what are carried at most of the shops.

|

10/3/2016 8:23 PM

I would make sure to check out the structure of the bike before buying. Being a college student, you are going to want your money to go a long way. A bike with the specs below will be the best things to do that

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bare weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay
fork: both the steering tube and the legs
the handle bars
the crank arms and pedal axels

Wheels should be double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

In US dollars, bikes with these specs, regardless of company, will usually fall in the $450-550 range new. If you check Dnascomp, Albes, Empire, Source or other online places, you can sometimes find last years models for sale for less.

Best bang for the buck?
1. Hoffman 'Bama - full chromoly structure; some of the parts are "meh", but the ywill need to get replaced as you go anyway, and you can replace with better parts
2. Mongoose Mode 900
3. Colony Endeavor

just be careful how you spend the money...something that seems like a 'bargain" might cost you more in the end after repairs

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/4/2016 1:38 AM

I just picked up a 2016 Colony Premise for 356.00 brand new, (Dans Comp) killer deal. I swapped out the grips threw on some pegs, hub guards, and a detangler. It's gtg, went the Shadow parts. The only thing really low quality is the brakes but that's a $50.00-60.00 fix.

|

10/4/2016 5:03 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I would make sure to check out the structure of the bike before buying. Being a college student, you are going to want your money to go a long way. A bike with the specs below will be the best things to do that

Things to look for in a BMX bike:
All of the skeletal structure that is going to bare weight should be full chromoly:
full frame -> front triangle(TT, DT, ST) AND seat stay and chainstay
fork: both the steering tube and the legs
the handle bars
the crank arms and pedal axels

Wheels should be double walled for sure
Sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket

For me, these are the MOST important things to look for to give you the best return on your investment. Every thing after this is “eye candy” to me at least.

After structure, geometry is the next most important thing.

In US dollars, bikes with these specs, regardless of company, will usually fall in the $450-550 range new. If you check Dnascomp, Albes, Empire, Source or other online places, you can sometimes find last years models for sale for less.

Best bang for the buck?
1. Hoffman 'Bama - full chromoly structure; some of the parts are "meh", but the ywill need to get replaced as you go anyway, and you can replace with better parts
2. Mongoose Mode 900
3. Colony Endeavor

just be careful how you spend the money...something that seems like a 'bargain" might cost you more in the end after repairs

Thanks for the information. Fully chromo does sound like the smartest way to invest (even if it's more money).

I'd rather buy a bike that will last me, than one that will break and need extra $ repairs (beside basic maintain).

Unfortunately, the local shop dealers around here do not sell Hoffman, Colony, Mongoose. Although the Hoffman and Colony look dope, I really want to buy a bike locally, and not online. I would like to support a local shop, and buy.

The various shops offer the brands I have been through around (Sunday, Fit, Kink, Subrosa, We The People).

I swore I saw that mongoose at a Target so maybe Target sells mongoose?

|

10/4/2016 5:05 AM

Broske wrote:

I just picked up a 2016 Colony Premise for 356.00 brand new, (Dans Comp) killer deal. I swapped out the grips threw on some pegs, hub guards, and a detangler. It's gtg, went the Shadow parts. The only thing really low quality is the brakes but that's a $50.00-60.00 fix.

Just looked that up and it looked sweet from the outside. Specs looked good from one people on here tell me, but my local shops don't carry Colony. I'd have to go over one state or order online and I really want to support local BMX shop.

The various shops offer the brands I have been through around (Sunday, Fit, Kink, Subrosa, We The People).

|

10/4/2016 5:12 AM

I totally agree with supporting local! Those brands also have bikes that fit the bill. Look on their websites, and see if the shop can order them. Those are all trustworthy companies

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/4/2016 6:04 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

I totally agree with supporting local! Those brands also have bikes that fit the bill. Look on their websites, and see if the shop can order them. Those are all trustworthy companies

Sweet! So I'm pretty much safe with any of those brands.

Here's the specific ones I was looking at:

Sunday Primer: http://www.sundaybikes.com/bikes/2017-completes/primer/2017-primer-black/ (Weight: 25.9lbs)

Fit Prospect: http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2016/prospect/ (Weight: 25.5lbs)

Kink Gap XL: https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/gap-xl/ (Weight 25lbs 12 ounces)

We The People Nova: http://wethepeoplebmx.de/nova/ (Weight 25.8lbs)

|

10/4/2016 9:19 AM

yea on the quality of those brands...BUT

those bikes are not full chromoly frame structure...parts of the frame are Chromo but not all. The reason people are adamant about full Chromo frames is b//c of the strength needed for trickery. If you don't plan on doing serious tricks that involve high jumping, or high drops than it won't matter. HiTen steel is strong, but will not last to the abuse of learning many BMX tricks. Once again, if you buy a $200 HiTen frame, and then go out and abuse it, it will break and then you have to buy another frame....and then another.

I would save up for a while longer and make your price point be between 5 and 600 dollars. Look at the same companies, but go into their higher end completes. Maybe ask for an "advanced" Chrsitmas/birthday gift from the family to accrue the extra money needed. In the end, it will be worth it. I have a 25 year old bike that is full chromo that is still running. I bought it in college and at the time it broke me....but it was worth not eating for a couple weeks now in hind-sight.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/4/2016 1:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/4/2016 1:50 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

yea on the quality of those brands...BUT

those bikes are not full chromoly frame structure...parts of the frame are Chromo but not all. The reason people are adamant about full Chromo frames is b//c of the strength needed for trickery. If you don't plan on doing serious tricks that involve high jumping, or high drops than it won't matter. HiTen steel is strong, but will not last to the abuse of learning many BMX tricks. Once again, if you buy a $200 HiTen frame, and then go out and abuse it, it will break and then you have to buy another frame....and then another.

I would save up for a while longer and make your price point be between 5 and 600 dollars. Look at the same companies, but go into their higher end completes. Maybe ask for an "advanced" Chrsitmas/birthday gift from the family to accrue the extra money needed. In the end, it will be worth it. I have a 25 year old bike that is full chromo that is still running. I bought it in college and at the time it broke me....but it was worth not eating for a couple weeks now in hind-sight.

Rad man. Fit has some decent bikes in the $400 price range that are signature bikes from professionals but they don't seem to be 100% chromo?

Here's an example: http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2017/vh-1/

I can't really seem to find a 100% chromo within those brands, but I'm not sure.

|

10/4/2016 7:27 PM

Oh great...now you are going to make me shop for bikes....I guess if I have to wink

here are some. These are mostly '17 models. You could possibly find some '16 models on sale someplaces.

http://verdebmx.com/completes/2017-neyer-pro/

Verde is my most favorite company, and you can't go wrong with this. I am going to be getting a Luxe b/c I want the 74.5 HT angle, but the Neyer Pro is pretty sick.

http://colonybmx.com.au/products/2017-colony-endeavour/

MANY people on here are saying that for the price this bike is lit....I believe them. This is almost bumping the Verde out of 1st place for me

http://wethepeoplebmx.de/trust

before the Colony, this was my #2 choice. Pretty sweet bike...hell, I might just buy 2....any of the WTP bikes below the Trust on their pull down list is Full Chromo I think

http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2017/benny-sig/

http://www.sundaybikes.com/bikes/2017-completes/street-sweeper/2017-street-sweeper-jake-seeley/

https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/whip-2/

these are just a few, but I think the Verde, Colony and WTP Trust are the best. As I mentioned, you can see if anyone has any 2016 models of these bikes for a decent price now. I know you want to buy local, but you might consider ordering the bike, and having the LBS build it for you. that way, their is still some local love, and you get the bike you want?

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/5/2016 5:43 PM

sXeBMXer wrote:

Oh great...now you are going to make me shop for bikes....I guess if I have to wink

here are some. These are mostly '17 models. You could possibly find some '16 models on sale someplaces.

http://verdebmx.com/completes/2017-neyer-pro/

Verde is my most favorite company, and you can't go wrong with this. I am going to be getting a Luxe b/c I want the 74.5 HT angle, but the Neyer Pro is pretty sick.

http://colonybmx.com.au/products/2017-colony-endeavour/

MANY people on here are saying that for the price this bike is lit....I believe them. This is almost bumping the Verde out of 1st place for me

http://wethepeoplebmx.de/trust

before the Colony, this was my #2 choice. Pretty sweet bike...hell, I might just buy 2....any of the WTP bikes below the Trust on their pull down list is Full Chromo I think

http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2017/benny-sig/

http://www.sundaybikes.com/bikes/2017-completes/street-sweeper/2017-street-sweeper-jake-seeley/

https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/whip-2/

these are just a few, but I think the Verde, Colony and WTP Trust are the best. As I mentioned, you can see if anyone has any 2016 models of these bikes for a decent price now. I know you want to buy local, but you might consider ordering the bike, and having the LBS build it for you. that way, their is still some local love, and you get the bike you want?

I fucking love that Verde one... price coming in at $529 isn't terrible, compared to some of the others coming in at $699. Those $699 look like great bikes, but I'd have to think If I want to dump that much.

I've seen a lot of Kink Whips at my locals, just not the Kink Whip 2. I wonder if the difference between the Whip and Whip 2 is the 2 has fully chromo?

Last question: Is this a good bike? http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2017/begin-1/ I know this guy is a pro and I've heard of him, but the bike doesn't appear to be fully chromo? Yet it is a signature bike? Do pros ride not fully chromo sometimes? It has a good price for me at $450.

|

10/5/2016 7:22 PM

SasQ wrote:

I fucking love that Verde one... price coming in at $529 isn't terrible, compared to some of the others coming in at $699. Those $699 look like great bikes, but I'd have to think If I want to dump that much.

I've seen a lot of Kink Whips at my locals, just not the Kink Whip 2. I wonder if the difference between the Whip and Whip 2 is the 2 has fully chromo?

Last question: Is this a good bike? http://fitbikeco.com/bikes-2017/begin-1/ I know this guy is a pro and I've heard of him, but the bike doesn't appear to be fully chromo? Yet it is a signature bike? Do pros ride not fully chromo sometimes? It has a good price for me at $450.

the Begin is a Sig bike, but only in it's geometry specs. It is still only part Chromo. I think I love the raw colorway though. Rawis my most fav color...but some are hard to keep looking like new. The Benny and the Dugan are the only full Chromo Fitbikes

The Neyer Pro is pretty sweet...and good for the price IMO. I'm telling ya, save just a bit more and get it. The only reason I am not getting the NP is the HT angle...I love the Army Green one is freakin' lit! I am looking at it now and might just change my mind....

honestly, if you don't plan on doing major tricks at first, and you don't want to wait to save the extra cash, the Begin would be alright. It is almost Full Chromo. It would be good to learn the basics on. The fork is full Chromo, as well as the bars and every thing else is good. But I would still tell you to get the full Chromo frame for a better investment

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

10/7/2016 5:35 AM

sXeBMXer wrote:

the Begin is a Sig bike, but only in it's geometry specs. It is still only part Chromo. I think I love the raw colorway though. Rawis my most fav color...but some are hard to keep looking like new. The Benny and the Dugan are the only full Chromo Fitbikes

The Neyer Pro is pretty sweet...and good for the price IMO. I'm telling ya, save just a bit more and get it. The only reason I am not getting the NP is the HT angle...I love the Army Green one is freakin' lit! I am looking at it now and might just change my mind....

honestly, if you don't plan on doing major tricks at first, and you don't want to wait to save the extra cash, the Begin would be alright. It is almost Full Chromo. It would be good to learn the basics on. The fork is full Chromo, as well as the bars and every thing else is good. But I would still tell you to get the full Chromo frame for a better investment

Thanks man for all the help/advice. I'm planning on going down to my local bike shop and ordering through them, since they don't have any of the bike we have been mentioned in stock at the store. But they can order for me. smile

|

10/7/2016 9:04 AM

that's cool that they can order. Some of our LBS's can only order specific brands...ones who they are dealers for.

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence