Best Setup to Learn Stalls

Related:
Create New Tag

7/21/2018 6:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2018 6:59 AM

Where did you find it easiest to learn double peg stalls? For some reason they scare the shit out of me way more than throwing barspins or most other tricks, probably because when I was learning to drop in from pegs I destroyed my elbow on the coping and then sliding down the quarter. I can do it fine to fakie on ledges with a bank, just the quarters that are a nightmare.

There's a quarter at my local skatepark that's around 3ft, but it's very steep, almost vert at the coping. Would this be a good setup to learn them on, or is a bigger quarter and commitment the easiest way?

|

7/21/2018 7:03 AM

If its almost vert at the coping it should be easiest to learn on that one. Mellower quarters are harder

|

7/21/2018 7:10 AM

Steeper is better but 3 feet tall quarters can be hard to ride up just because there isn't much transition to ride on.

You can set your bike on the coping and try to learn the balance. Nothing wrong with that.

I like ledges for learning. The balance is the same when you take it to a quarter.

I suggest riding up the quarter and flying out but landing 'double tire' on the deck , as close to the coping as you can. Just like you were double pegging, but on the deck.
Then set your bike into a double peg and ride out / down the quarter. Your body will get used to the position of being in and getting out of the trick. Eventually , you'll be able to not fly out / double tire but just be able to ride up and land on your pegs.

|

7/21/2018 7:18 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2018 7:19 AM

Thanks! pnj I'll definitely try the double tyre, makes a lot of sense. Also is it easier to hop in from pegs or just lean and turn the bars? I was leaning last time I tried learning them but that's also when my elbow regularly met the concrete. Picked up a set of extra small volleyball knee pads that work perfectly as elbow pads so hopefully that helps.

|

7/21/2018 8:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/21/2018 8:47 AM

Hoping vs. leaning... I think it depends on the setup you're on? Everything is a little different.

Just lean into the transition and away from the coping. Do it in a quick motion so your tires don't have a chance to start sliding out.

Lean your body into the transition but use your arms and legs to keep the bike on the copping. Then pull the bike under you to get the pegs off the coping. If that makes sense.. That way your body weight is already over the ramp surface. turn your bars into the ramp..

|

7/21/2018 8:53 AM

Concrete ledges like 1 1/2- 2ft tall

Long Steel pegs. smile

|

7/21/2018 9:50 AM

Sean burns taught me bums laying on the ground work great for sprocket stalls , don’t think I’ll
Ever learn that trick though , seems rough on the bike

|

7/21/2018 10:54 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Long Steel pegs. smile

he said he can do them fine on ledges...

|

7/21/2018 11:00 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Long Steel pegs. smile

pnj wrote:

he said he can do them fine on ledges...

I'm pretty sure Bullet was jokingsilly

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

7/21/2018 11:35 AM

I have actually been wanting to learn double peg stalls on a quarter but havent found one Im comfortable with just yet.

Im with you fooby! smile

|

7/21/2018 12:51 PM

Lol it's closer to a jersey barrier than a quarter, but it could help

|

Hmmm

7/21/2018 11:30 PM

Edman123 wrote:

Lol it's closer to a jersey barrier than a quarter, but it could help

Does feel similar, bit more transition though.

|

7/22/2018 2:25 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

Long Steel pegs. smile

Perfect I used a higher ledge but if it’s around wheel height it’s great

|