Best all-in-one tool?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/19/2018 6:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 6:23 PM

Looking for a good all-in-one tool to have handy just in case, some range from $15-$70. Just looking for something well-made and in a compact form that has everything you need. Oh and something cheap would be great too.

|

1/19/2018 7:07 PM

Shadow, for when you're out. But individual, good quality tools at home.

I take my car everywhere because using my bike for transport? Too fat and lazy! So I tend to just take the whole tool box.

|

1/19/2018 7:26 PM

jbales wrote:

Shadow, for when you're out. But individual, good quality tools at home.

I take my car everywhere because using my bike for ...more

Anything cheaper? The shadow is $63... what about the odyssey.

|

1/19/2018 7:39 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 7:40 PM

Oh yeah. I checked Albes first to make sure and I misread it. I thought it said $43 and I was like sweet but now I realize Albes automatically converts it to £. Lol

The Odyssey one is great but it's missing some extras that the Shadow has. But with any "All in one" tool, it won't do everything. The Odyssey one will do all the allen bolts and the wheel nuts which I guess is all you need while you're out. Get a cheap spoke wrench to keep in your pocket, too. I use mine sitting at the side on the park regularly. Also a chain tool, as well as a needle and thread for your knee will be handy if you break your chain while you're out riding.

|

1/19/2018 7:45 PM

Odyssey one is great! I have one and it has everything I really need, 17mm axle wrench, 8mm, 6mm, 5mm, and a 4mm.. also has a 15mm pedal wrench and a 17mm pedal wrench... and I just bought an Odyssey chain breaker which I take everywhere in my bag as well as my tool and some extra chain links...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/19/2018 7:51 PM

jbales wrote:

Oh yeah. I checked Albes first to make sure and I misread it. I thought it said $43 and I was like sweet but now I realize ...more

"a needle and thread for your knee will be handy if you break your chain while you're out riding"

I'd say fishing line instead of normal thread, just rub it down with disinfectant when you get it. Less potential for infection.

Also, a flask full of whiskey/vodka to sterilise it and numb the pain AND a Beegees song to sing along to while you sew yourself up! laughing

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/19/2018 7:52 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

"a needle and thread for your knee will be handy if you break your chain while you're out riding"

I'd say fishing line ...more

LOL grin grin

|

1/19/2018 7:53 PM

jbales wrote:

Oh yeah. I checked Albes first to make sure and I misread it. I thought it said $43 and I was like sweet but now I realize ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

wouldn't a chain guard prevent all of that? never had one

|

1/19/2018 8:06 PM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

Chain guards don't protect from everything. To be honest, most I've come across recently don't protect anything!

Chain snaps aren't the only reason for bad cuts and the likes while riding. A few years ago, I snapped a crankarm and the weld became very sharp so as I fell, it sliced up the back of my calf; wasn't too bad but it could've been worse. my point is, any part of your bike can cut you; it just depends on how it breaks when it breaks.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/19/2018 8:09 PM

Yeah. But they look silly IMO. Great if you do heavy street riding and mad sprocket stalls. If you don't, and you have your drive side opposite to the side you mostly grind. And a 710 chain, It'll be fine.

|

1/19/2018 8:09 PM

jbales wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

jbales wrote:

LOL grin grin

Your new profile pic is weird lol

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/19/2018 8:13 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Your new profile pic is weird lol

I think it suits him laughing

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/19/2018 8:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 8:16 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

Chain guards don't protect from everything. To be honest, most I've come across recently don't protect anything!

Chain snaps ...more

At least it was the back of your calf, not the front. Evolution must have thought it'd be funny to give us a bone with a paper thin layer of skin covering it. Just so it can point and laugh. All that calf to protect it, but nooo they put the bone on the outside!

/rant

Edit: and the old profile pic wasn't weird? LOL

|

1/19/2018 8:36 PM

BrooklynGoon wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Chain snaps ...more

jbales wrote:

At least it was the back of your calf, not the front. Evolution must have thought it'd be funny to give us a bone with a paper ...more

The front isn't too bad, I barely notice most shinners these days. If you get enough of them and the scar tissue builds up, you can develop muscle there! shocked

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/19/2018 8:42 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 8:42 PM

p1p1092 wrote:

The front isn't too bad, I barely notice most shinners these days. If you get enough of them and the scar tissue builds up, ...more

I’ve never given it the chance. From looking at the state of my jeans and pads, I’ll pass on building scar tissue. I usually ride pedals that resemble medieval torture devices, though.

|

1/19/2018 10:20 PM

a backpack with a ratchet and a pack of allen keys works too wink

|

1/22/2018 12:33 AM

I also love my odyssey tool. Just wish it had a damn 3mm...

I know i could easily rig it but I want it to ckme with one!!!

It comes with 2 damn different pedal wrenches.

Should have got rid of the 8mm and put a 3mm for their OWN CHAIN lol and a 2mm for some pedal pins.

Either way, i love it and it works for most things.

|

1/22/2018 2:14 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

...more

What about the 8mm on their Elementary stem?tongue

I couldn't even begin to count the number of times an 8mm has helped me open a blown rear hub to botch it back together and get somebody home. Eclat hubs are pieces of shit and our weather only makes them worse. angry

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/22/2018 4:50 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I couldn't even begin to count the number of times an 8mm has helped me open a ...more

Yeah, I don't get why they'd include anything other than a 9/16 for a pedal wrench. Anyone running something other than a 9/16 aren't buying a multi-tool. & if they are, they should have saved that money for a better bike. LOL! As for the 2mm for the pedal pins, I'm thinking MAYBE they thought "nobody is in desperate need to changing their pedal pins in any emergency". Also, keep in mind, while these tools are handy & inherently, t hey will be missing something here & there..... they aren't meant to be your entire tool kit. It's really akin to an emergency road kit. Something to help get you back on the "road".

|

1/22/2018 5:12 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, I don't get why they'd include anything other than a 9/16 for a pedal wrench. Anyone running something other than a 9/16 ...more

I think the other size on that tool is a 17mm like what's on most, if not all, Odyssey Pedals. 17mm is much nicer as it's also the size for most wheel nuts/bolts which means that you can just carry a single 17 mm spanner for wheels and pedals.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson

1/22/2018 6:23 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I couldn't even begin to count the number of times an 8mm has helped me open a ...more

Thats true...i just open up hubs less than I remove my chains. 8mm helps for some axle bolts as well.

I guess it boils down to your individual practices and setup.

|

1/22/2018 6:26 AM

p1p1092 wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, I don't get why they'd include anything other than a 9/16 for a pedal wrench. Anyone running something other than a 9/16 ...more

p1p1092 wrote:

I think the other size on that tool is a 17mm like what's on most, if not all, Odyssey Pedals. 17mm is much nicer as it's also ...more

I kept mine original because most decent pedals have a 6mm in the rear of the axle. The 15 mm is good for older/cheaper bikes that use 15 mm for the pedals or sometimes the front wheel. The 17mm "deep socket" is most useful, especially if you run pegs. smile

|

1/22/2018 6:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/22/2018 6:40 AM

I've heard good things about the Animal Kotulak Multi-tool. I'm actually in the market for one as well. I have a tool kit but it's really just a mashup of all the existing tools I had already. I do feel kinda silly taking my wheels off with a spark plug socket, but it works.

Photo

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

1/22/2018 6:54 AM

Bulletpup wrote:

I kept mine original because most decent pedals have a 6mm in the rear of the axle. The 15 mm is good for older/cheaper bikes ...more

I have nothing but bad experience with using the 6mm, it's great if you're in a hurry and don't have the right sized wrench with you but I've found they always loosen off shortly after. I always use a wrench to crank them down, I probably even overtorque them a bit because I don't want them loosening off and wallowing out the thread.

|

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

- Hunter S. Thompson