Best bang-for-your-buck rear cassette wheel?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/28/2019 7:28 AM

I want to buy a stock cassette wheel, but i don't want to spend more than like $150. I have found what I perceive to be the best deals and want to know which you guys think would be the best deal. ***I am mostly interested in the hub, not the rim (I ride very light anyway)**

Colony Pintour/Wasp - $140
Fly Trebol - $110
Cinema VX2 - $160
Verde Neutra - $140
Volume Foundation - $130

I'm leaning towards the Colony because I've heard good things about the Wasp, but the Fly is super cheap. I know the Cinema will be great but its pricey and the Verde/Volume I just threw in for the sake of argument.

What do you guys think?

|

i love dick

2/28/2019 7:36 AM

Four has a Primo Mix laced to a Demolition for $77 shipped in the sale section of the forum.

Out of your options, the Cinema is the only one I would personally ride. The Wasp has a pretty bad reputation for drivers blowing out & the other ones are just cheap budget wheels.

Remember, buy cheap = buy twice
Save yourself the trouble and get a quality wheel like the Cinema, or Four's Primo wheel

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

2/28/2019 7:47 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/28/2019 7:48 AM

Yeah, a used one. You can get that Demolition rear wheel from Four, and have the hub rebuilt at a shop for probably under $100 all in.

This was actually what I was considering doing, but I figured I'd let it go for someone else who actually needs a rear wheel.

|

BMX over 30: Eat clean, Stretch, and Pray.

2/28/2019 7:49 AM

Cinema VX2 is on sale on Cinema's website for $140 and is laced to a welded rim.

|

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/_eli.173_/
Bike Check - Coming Soon!
Refs - dikdiamond

2/28/2019 7:50 AM

Can you guys link me to the mix/demo ? I'll definitely snatch it if you guys let me.

|

i love dick

2/28/2019 7:51 AM

falloftroy20 wrote:

Can you guys link me to the mix/demo ? I'll definitely snatch it if you guys let me.

Here
|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon

2/28/2019 7:51 AM

I looked into that demo/primo wheel and it needs work, not feeling it. I'll have a look on the cinema site @eli173

|

i love dick

2/28/2019 7:54 AM

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/28/2019 8:15 AM

I’d be looking into getting a wheel with a welded rim compared to a pinned rim

|

2/28/2019 8:36 AM

So I’ll piggy back on this thread.

The Cinema Vx2 cassette hub is solid for street? It’s gtg? I know the 777 rims are solid af.

|

2/28/2019 8:44 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

The Cinema Vx2 cassette hub is solid for street? It’s gtg? I know the 777 rims are solid af.

It's just a generic cassette hub. Uses the same "SDS" internals that 75% of hubs are using nowadays.

The SDS hubs are basically the modern day Joytech hubs. Internals are all pre-manufactured and thrown into each brand's choice of hub shell.
They have individual pawls and springs & are LHD/RHD reversible which are a huge plus over the ol Joytech hubs.

Another thing I find interesting about the SDS hubs is that they have 14mm Female counterparts (Kink Yukon for example.)

|

2/28/2019 8:52 AM

$170 and you get a whole wheelset

https://www.albes.com/haro-sata-BMX-wheel-set/

|

fack off

2/28/2019 9:02 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

It's just a generic cassette hub. Uses the same "SDS" internals that 75% of hubs are using nowadays.

The SDS hubs are basically the modern day Joytech hubs. Internals are all pre-manufactured and thrown into each brand's choice of hub shell.
They have individual pawls and springs & are LHD/RHD reversible which are a huge plus over the ol Joytech hubs.

Another thing I find interesting about the SDS hubs is that they have 14mm Female counterparts (Kink Yukon for example.)

I actually just ended up purchasing the Kink Yukon/Atlas II wheel. It came out to $140 on Dans with free shipping. I was sold on the 14mm female axle, though it also has a welded atlas rim and is quite light. So, pretty sweet deal overall, hope it isn't shite. I bought the nightshade color because my frame is purple as well so I figured it's whatever.

So thanks bros, case closed, unless you want to shit on me for making the wrong choice

|

i love dick

2/28/2019 9:04 AM

https://www.albes.com/cinema-c38-rim/ 36.95

https://www.albes.com/kink-yukon-cassette-hub/ 99.99

https://www.albes.com/mission-stainless-steel-spoke-in-polished/ 20 cents each X 36 = $7.20

(A BIT MORE FOR NIPPLES WITH THE SPOKES-did not calculate as there are tons of options)

For 144.14 + shipping (if any) you could have a decent wheel.

OR swap the hub out for this:

https://www.albes.com/primo-remix-v2-cassette-rear-hub/ 139.95

OR THIS

https://www.albes.com/primo-remix-v3-hub/ 139.95

Brings it to 184.10 WITHOUT COUPON CODES.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

2/28/2019 9:06 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

falloftroy20 wrote:

I actually just ended up purchasing the Kink Yukon/Atlas II wheel. It came out to $140 on Dans with free shipping. I was sold on the 14mm female axle, though it also has a welded atlas rim and is quite light. So, pretty sweet deal overall, hope it isn't shite. I bought the nightshade color because my frame is purple as well so I figured it's whatever.

So thanks bros, case closed, unless you want to shit on me for making the wrong choice

Personally I'd cancel the order solely because its Danscomp. They are not easy to do business with. They will play with your money, lie to your face, and keep you waiting for parts that may never arrive or may have never even existed in their inventory.

The Yukon hub is awesome though, my best friend rides one and it seems very solid!

|

2/28/2019 9:12 AM

Yeah, I noticed it's on backorder until the 3rd, I'll give them until the end of the first week of March to come up with it. I know that Dans gets a lot of hate these days but honestly I've ordered from them dozens of times over the last decade and have literally never had a problem. So I gotta go with my experience you know what I mean? If it falls through I'll probably just build up a primo mix wheel as dave suggested.

|

i love dick

2/28/2019 10:29 AM

Out of those choices, the fly and cinema are pretty basic. And the wasp sounds like aids. I have hands on experience with them, and wouldn't put them on my bike.

Looking in sale sections would be the best bet. But remember if you can't build wheels, you'll have to pay someone else to do it.

|

2/28/2019 10:45 AM

falloftroy20 wrote:

I wouldn't be a New Yorker if I didn't shit on you for making the wrong choice:

- Bro what the fuck is your problem? You ordered from Dan's fuckin goon.
- Oh you don't wanna support the members of this forum? Fine. Go back to Jersey, ya fuck!
- Should've bought from a local shop, you're the problem with BMX, bro

That should do it! GL with the wheel

|

2/28/2019 12:12 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

- Oh you don't wanna support the members of this forum? Fine. Go back to Jersey, ya fuck!

yooooo lmao
|

2/28/2019 2:29 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

falloftroy20 wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

brooo 9% sales tax on an already 10% upcharged wheel from the shop naaaah g

|

i love dick

2/28/2019 2:31 PM

Deadass, you a value huntah. I'm cool widdat.

|

3/1/2019 12:10 AM

If you're so concerned with tax and upcharging, then why aren't you just buying nice used parts on here or Offerup for like 1/2 to 1/3rd of the retail price? That 150 you're trying to spend could get you a way better wheel, and possibly a matching front as well

|

3/1/2019 7:01 AM

-Havok- wrote:

If you're so concerned with tax and upcharging, then why aren't you just buying nice used parts on here or Offerup for like 1/2 to 1/3rd of the retail price? That 150 you're trying to spend could get you a way better wheel, and possibly a matching front as well

We'll most likely be back here shortly when Dans fucks him over, unfortunately.

|

3/1/2019 7:16 PM

|

3/2/2019 1:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/3/2019 10:39 PM

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

It's sad that we're even saying stuff like this in today's day and age. Dan's was great in the midschool days. I remember being stoked af to get my new catalog every few months as a kid

|

3/2/2019 8:24 AM

Profile Mini to Gsport Ribcage. Best bang right there

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

3/19/2019 11:59 AM

BillyBigRigger wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

falloftroy20 wrote:

I really like the Yukon hub. One of these days I'm gonna pick one up. I'm not a huge kink fan either, but they do make some quality hubs.

|

3/19/2019 12:01 PM

-Havok- wrote:

This is also very true.

|

3/20/2019 11:24 PM

-Havok- wrote:

TheDarkEnergist wrote:

-Havok- wrote:

It's sad that we're even saying stuff like this in today's day and age. Dan's was great in the midschool days. I remember being stoked af to get my new catalog every few months as a kid

Dan's was great until just a little while ago...

I miss having trust in them even though I only knew about them for a relatively short time before all the delays/never gots happened.

|