Best bike under $400 2018

Related:
Create New Tag

8/6/2018 10:43 PM

What's going on guys currently I am riding a 2010 DK Cygnus which I've been riding for a week and cranks are squeaking along with the front rim moving sideways even after tightening it down. Saying f it and buying a new complete. CL and FB market place have people high as kites selling used bikes for the same price as they bought them brand new for.

I'm looking at the Radio bikes mainly the Astron and Valac, but am not one hundred percent sure and don't want to jump the gun like I did with buying the Cygnus. Are these good bikes? Also, do you guys have any suggestions for completes under the $400 price tag or should I move to the $500 dollar range? Is that extra money going to be worth it?

5'10
220lbs
Park riding mainly

|

8/6/2018 10:49 PM

Mongoose Legion L100

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

8/6/2018 10:57 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100

I feel this won't last me very long though.

|

8/6/2018 11:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/6/2018 11:06 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100

King_Maker wrote:

Yeah it will last you for a good while if yo take care of it, that's how everything is though. And it's only like $280 on Amazon..

|

8/6/2018 11:17 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mongoose Legion L100

King_Maker wrote:

It’s full chromoly and is better than the bike you’ve got now (no offense if I gave any). Believe me when we say that we were skeptical of the fact that mongoose actually makes a full chromoly bike now, and figured it’d be shitty, but our resident member Bulletpup actually has two of them and uses them for different purposes (both are different years, one 2017 and one 2018)
If you still aren’t comfortable with the legion then the Hoffman bikes Bama is back in production for $399.95, and features the actual aftermarket bama frame. I’ve got a Hoffman Lady Luck (not the bike, the frame, I ride a custom) and can tell you that it’ll last you a while since they’re essentially the same frame (the bama has a slightly shorter bb height, and weighs a little more, but the strength is the same.)
The bama is a pretty solid choice honestly, and it fits into your budget range perfectly. Also, it comes with gyro tabs.
Just a warning, Hoffman bikes uses broach mounts, so if you want to save yourself from hours of pain of working on your bike rather than from riding it, please for the love of god put some red loctite on the brake mounts (the part that goes in the frame, not the part that the screws go in, also only if you decide you want to run brakes for good). Also, another warning, Hoffman bikes has a long history of using brake bolt thread counts that are literally not used by any other brake company, so if you ever need bolts for any reason then you’re gonna have to depend on your local bike shop, because Hoffman doesn’t sell any (also, some brakes like the evo 2 require the original bolt to be used, although I run these brakes and found a workaround by using very small thin washers so they bend into the washer like the original bolt)
These bikes are a new production run though, so they probably changed some stuff though.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

8/7/2018 12:35 AM

Get the Hoffman bama

|

Hmmm

8/7/2018 1:06 AM

The astron looks like a good bike, with salt parts, so they're not too generic "picked from a catalogue" like parts you'd get on a lot of completes. Probably marginally better than the mongoose, but not sure if the price difference is really worth it? The astron might be a bit small, and the mongoose might be a bit big, for your height.
But the astron ain't a bad bike, get it if it'll get you stoked to ride

|

8/7/2018 4:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 4:47 AM

My experience with bikes (riding, working on, selling....) is that if you think you will be sticking with it, I would always suggest buying in at the slightly higher price level. In this case, it'd be at the $500 or below. Reason being, I have seen it happen over & over.... someone comes in, wants to get into...let's say mountain biking... & wants to get a mountain bike. They ogle over the hi-end stuff, then work their way down until they find a price point where they feel they are getting a good deal. Inevitably, they come back in a few weeks later & tell me "I wish I had just spent the extra in the first place. Sometimes it's hard to see the differences in quality when you aren't experienced. Anyway, all that said, there are a few great bikes that can be had at that level (the Bama, being one of them). Fit Bikes has several offerings of differing sizes at around $450. The Eastern Shovelhead is generally hard to beat across the board for bang for the buck. Kink also has several offerings that would fit the bill. And as stated earlier, as of today, the Mongoose Legion L100 is the bargain king at around $280 on Amazon. Keep in mind, if you are looking at the Mongoose, there are a couple parts members here have said they'd change. Pedals and stem being the two most prevalent. The pedals would probably need to be swapped out eventually anyway (they are plastic pedals similar to others on other completes) after a few pedal grinds. & Stems can be had relatively cheaply new of used many times (search the "BMX stuff for sale" section here in the forum).

|

8/7/2018 8:27 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

My experience with bikes (riding, working on, selling....) is that if you think you will be sticking with it, I would always ...more

This is really well put I might bump it up to the $500 range. Also, that is my problem with the mongoose a brand new bike shouldn't have to change parts from the start. I've always had shitty bikes growing up and I'm tired of having a bike with bars that move when I land to hard.

I've heard the shovelhead is solid for the price point, but how does it compare to the astron?

|

8/7/2018 8:31 AM

HavokDJ wrote:

It’s full chromoly and is better than the bike you’ve got now (no offense if I gave any). Believe me when we say that we were ...more

You're scaring me with the braking on the Bama. Is it that bad? For how many skateparks (10 within 20 minutes of each other) I can't find a BMX bike shop, so finding the bolts you're talking about could be a task. Especially because I plan on buying a gyro.

|

8/7/2018 8:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 8:42 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

My experience with bikes (riding, working on, selling....) is that if you think you will be sticking with it, I would always ...more

King_Maker wrote:

This is really well put I might bump it up to the $500 range. Also, that is my problem with the mongoose a brand new bike ...more

Dude the Shovelhead is going to be better than the Astron I'll tell you that...

Actually though, if you want a gyro. I'd just go with the Astron, it's a little cheaper than the Shovelhead, and it already has a gyro which is sick...

|

8/7/2018 8:52 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

King_Maker wrote:

This is really well put I might bump it up to the $500 range. Also, that is my problem with the mongoose a brand new bike ...more

To be honest, I didn't review the Radio Astron in depth, just a once over. Overall, I'd say the two bikes (Shovelhead v. Astron) are on par with each other. For me, I'd choose the Shovelhead for a couple reasons. 1.) I am 6' tall & the Shovel has a larger TT (20.85"). 2.) The Shovel comes with 48 spline heat-treated chromoly cranks v. 8 splined. 3.) The Shovel has a (slightly) more lax head tube angle (75 deg. v 75.5 deg) which would be more stable for park riding. All that being said, the Radio Astron seems like a nice bike for the money. Nothing I wouldn't ride, for sure & I can certainly see why you are attracted to it based on price & specs. Ultimately it is your call. You have to be happy with what you buy & I don't think you'd be disappointed in either.

P.S. Fully disclosure... I own a Shovelhead. I have never seen a Radio in person.

|

8/7/2018 9:02 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

To be honest, I didn't review the Radio Astron in depth, just a once over. Overall, I'd say the two bikes (Shovelhead v. ...more

I'm on the fence about the Shovelhead and Astron. Are there any major differences in parts between the two? Can the extra $80 be seen in the Shovelhead?

|

8/7/2018 9:10 AM

King_Maker wrote:

I'm on the fence about the Shovelhead and Astron. Are there any major differences in parts between the two? Can the extra $80 ...more

Yeah the extra $80 could be seen, it's got,

-100 psi tires
-48 spline heat treated chromoly cranks
-forged aluminum parts
-28t sprocket

And I'm sure there's more I didn't list... but you could get that and order an Odyssey G3 gyro kit and slap that on the Shovelhead and have a bad day bike and gyro!

|

8/7/2018 9:11 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

King_Maker wrote:

If you bump it up, get either the shovelhead or the Hoffman Lady Luck, otherwise the bama is a solid bike for $400.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

8/7/2018 9:15 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

To be honest, I didn't review the Radio Astron in depth, just a once over. Overall, I'd say the two bikes (Shovelhead v. ...more

King_Maker wrote:

I'm on the fence about the Shovelhead and Astron. Are there any major differences in parts between the two? Can the extra $80 ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

-100 psi tires
-forged aluminum parts
...more

Does the 28t sprocket affect dropping in at the park?

|

8/7/2018 9:26 AM

King_Maker wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

-100 psi tires
-forged aluminum parts
...more

King_Maker wrote:

Not on a quarter that you wouldn't already have to hop in on.

|

Hmmm

8/7/2018 9:51 AM

Edman123 wrote:

Alright think I might jump the gun and get the Shovelhead I found it for $415 on AceBmx. Does anyone know of a cheaper price or is this the best deal?

|

8/7/2018 10:01 AM

King_Maker wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

King_Maker wrote:

Alright think I might jump the gun and get the Shovelhead I found it for $415 on AceBmx. Does anyone know of a cheaper price ...more

Ace BMX is known to be a scam, just a heads up

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/7/2018 10:54 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 10:55 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Anyone know where else to find a shovelhead? Everything seems to be sold out. Atleast in the Trans-Gold color.

|

8/7/2018 11:16 AM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

-100 psi tires
-forged aluminum parts
...more

King_Maker wrote:

Edman123 wrote:

Lol, people are asking if a 28t will get in the way, I remember when everyone had a 44t.
As to king_maker, I think empire has some in stock, but their site is offline at this moment, so either wait to see (or you could call them too), or get the bama. Avoid Acebmx like it’s ebolzikaidherpes, those people will scam you, and will first off, not send you your order until you complain about it WEEKS LATER, and when you finally get it, it’s something else and is way worse than what you ordered. You’d no joke be better off burning your money in a grease fire.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

8/7/2018 11:17 AM

King_Maker wrote:

Alright think I might jump the gun and get the Shovelhead I found it for $415 on AceBmx. Does anyone know of a cheaper price ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

King_Maker wrote:

Anyone know where else to find a shovelhead? Everything seems to be sold out. Atleast in the Trans-Gold color.

Most bike shops can order in Eastern. Otherwise hit them up directly.

I dont believe they sell to BMX mail orders, so you will have a hard time finding one online through a reputable BMX dealer

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

8/7/2018 11:27 AM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I dont believe they sell to BMX mail orders, so you ...more

I'll give a few shops a call. This is insane how hard this bike is to find though. Especially because I have no BMX shops around me only road bike and Mtb.

HavokDJ I am gonna dodge Ace because I see mixed reviews and that is a red flag. I'll take the money I save and spend it somewhere else.

|

8/7/2018 11:37 AM

King_Maker wrote:

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I dont believe they sell to BMX mail orders, so you ...more

King_Maker wrote:

I'll give a few shops a call. This is insane how hard this bike is to find though. Especially because I have no BMX shops ...more

Good idea, I’d honestly be willing to bet that the positive reviews are fakes or paid.

|

-Sheldon on Adam22

-jbales on mafiaBIKES

-adamnmexican

8/7/2018 11:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 11:52 AM

I know the Shovelhead can be had from a few places but I don't know how they acquire them. I've seen them on Ebay occasionally & a couple places I saw advertised. I bought mine direct thru Eastern. Although, it's possible the Trans Gold is not available any longer so you'd be stuck with black or keeping up your search until someone has one.

|

8/7/2018 12:05 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I know the Shovelhead can be had from a few places but I don't know how they acquire them. I've seen them on Ebay occasionally ...more

If it ain't black, it's wack.

Unless it's a red Soundwave wink

|

8/7/2018 12:40 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I know the Shovelhead can be had from a few places but I don't know how they acquire them. I've seen them on Ebay occasionally ...more

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Crap.... all my bikes are wack. sad

|

8/7/2018 12:53 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Crap.... all my bikes are wack. sad

Sorry man, that's how it goestongue

|

8/7/2018 1:00 PM

So one shop called me and it was instock only in black; sad days. They'd give me 10% off, cool deal. Sadly, they said do I care about paying for shipping. No as long as it isn't ridiculous.... They wanted $75 to ship it. I could buy a better bike with that money and get free shipping from source.

|

8/7/2018 1:19 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/7/2018 4:41 PM

So I think I am going to get the Bama or Astron instead. I can't find an easternshovelhead in the color I want.

Any major differences in the Bama & Shovel?

Edit: Called Eastern they will have the Translucent Gold available next month.
Edit: Pulled the trigger bought a Hoffman Bama in Polished Silver.

|