Best rim for street

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2017 10:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2017 10:03 PM

What's better odyssey 7ka or gsport roll cage

|

1/14/2017 10:09 PM

G-Sport Ribcage

|

1/15/2017 8:33 AM

Yea, get the ribcage. I was going to get it, but it was out of stock so I went with the rollcage.
Get the Ribcage!

|

1/15/2017 8:38 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2017 8:40 AM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Yea, get the ribcage. I was going to get it, but it was out of stock so I went with the rollcage.
Get the Ribcage!

Is there that much of a difference?

Edit: i never had one of these but i want to buy the g sport or hazard lite soon

|

1/15/2017 9:17 AM

coldmajki wrote:

Is there that much of a difference?

Edit: i never had one of these but i want to buy the g sport or hazard lite soon

Yes, the ribcage has... well, ribs.

This is the ribcage Photo

This is the rollcage
Photo

http://www.gsportbmx.com/products/rims/

|

1/15/2017 10:49 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2017 10:49 AM

Hazzards 48h

|

1/15/2017 10:52 AM

Animal RS rims are 7000 series aluminum, did you look into those? But anyway i think it comes down to looks, both rims you mentioned are very very good products.

|

1/15/2017 10:54 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Hazzards 48h

Bone Deth has it right with their 48h wheels. I see so many broken spokes these days and its so unnecessary.

|

1/15/2017 2:06 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Hazzards 48h

Super-Pawl wrote:

Bone Deth has it right with their 48h wheels. I see so many broken spokes these days and its so unnecessary.

But think about how much money it saves in the manufacturing process. I'm sure it's a lot. Company's started giving pros the 36s, and they didn't care because they get new shit all the time. It became cool to run 36s, and light bikes were becoming cool too. Imagine how much steel they saved by going from 8 pound frames to 4. Then they sold it all for the same price, and told us they were just as strong. Like any business, it's all about the bottom line.

|

1/15/2017 2:33 PM

Frames now are generally stronger. And 36h wheels now are generally stronger than 48h wheels back then. Engineering processes and materials have come along leaps and bounds, meaning you can save weight but still have the strength. But the processes and materials are more expensive.

I have alienation felon rims, they're awesome, and cheaper than g sport and odyssey

|

1/15/2017 4:29 PM

I don't think a 4 pound frame can ever be as strong as an 8 pound frame. I know it's totally overkill and unnecessary though. I've seen plenty of Broken new school frames, but I don't remember seeing any Broken frames when bikes weighed 40 pounds. I know technology has advanced, and frames are strong enough, but I'm not sure I believe they are stronger. Rims probably are stronger nowadays, but a modern 48 is gonna be stronger for sure, and I rarely ever trued my 48h rims. Now I have to tighten my spokes every month.

|

1/15/2017 6:00 PM

Alex triple walls

|

1/15/2017 6:20 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2017 6:27 PM

eskimojay wrote:

Alex triple walls

Those are mid school, and probably stronger than any modern rim too. Probably not necessary either though. Technology can only do so much, with a certain amount of material. That's probably why all rims weigh exactly the same nowadays. A frame is just tubes welded together. There's only so much you can do. How much has that really changed?

|

1/15/2017 6:31 PM

I don't care what anyone says. There's no bike nowadays stronger than what we had in the late 90's - early 00's! No way! S&M Warpig on Odyssey Hazard triples and odyssey forks were unmatched

|

1/15/2017 6:38 PM

I don't know what's the strongest out there now. I'm on Cinema 777's and they are very solid so far

|

1/15/2017 7:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2017 7:57 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

I don't care what anyone says. There's no bike nowadays stronger than what we had in the late 90's - early 00's! No way! ...more

I agree. It's all just Welded chromoly tubing. The more metal the stronger it's gonna be. The only difference now is thinner tubing, and the geometry is different. I don't think the geometry changes the strength, so modern bikes can not be as strong as a mid school tank. I just can't believe it.
Alex triples, or Odyssey hazzards, have to be stronger than any others.

|

1/15/2017 8:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/15/2017 8:22 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

I don't care what anyone says. There's no bike nowadays stronger than what we had in the late 90's - early 00's! No way! ...more

Bone Deth would like to have a word with you lmao. But yeah I'm thinking of pestering one of my friends for a 97 S$M Sabbath that he picked up but might part out. I doubt im gonna bite though.

|

1/15/2017 10:23 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

I agree. It's all just Welded chromoly tubing. The more metal the stronger it's gonna be. The only difference now is thinner ...more

this made my brain hurt.


modern frames are stronger.

frames with lower seattube height and stand over are inherently weaker than a frame with a taller seattube and standover. an acute triangle is much stronger than an obtuse.

did they remove that whole bridge building thing out of jr highs in tech class?

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

1/15/2017 10:53 PM

Everything was over built back then. And it's not just chromoly tubes welded together because the quality of the weld itself is just as important. Frames have always cracked and snapped, even s&m and standard. I myself have seen an sta have the headtube ripped off. Mediocre quality material with a mediocre weld will crack easier regardless of the thickness of the tube.

I'm not a weight whore. But there's a happy medium that no one seems to think about. My bike is pretty light, I don't intentionally buy light parts. But I don't see the point in buying heavy parts either.

If you have to keep truing wheels, maybe you should just get better at building them. I've never had to true a wheel I've built myself.

|

1/16/2017 3:43 AM

JonnyGanja wrote:

this made my brain hurt.


modern frames are stronger.

frames with lower seattube height and stand over are inherently ...more

Here is a neat game to substitute for that :D

http://crypticsea.com/bridgebuilding/

|

1/16/2017 7:49 PM

seanthemechanic wrote:

I don't care what anyone says. There's no bike nowadays stronger than what we had in the late 90's - early 00's! No way! ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

I agree. It's all just Welded chromoly tubing. The more metal the stronger it's gonna be. The only difference now is thinner ...more

JonnyGanja wrote:

this made my brain hurt.


modern frames are stronger.

frames with lower seattube height and stand over are inherently ...more

Do you know what mid school is? Seat tubes were the same height they are now, so I guess you don't know what your talking about. How much has welding changed in 15-20 years? Maybe it has, but I'm not sure about that.

|

1/16/2017 9:03 PM

ggallin422 wrote:

Do you know what mid school is? Seat tubes were the same height they are now, so I guess you don't know what your talking ...more

"Do you know what mid school is?"


haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha bruh im not some teenager.

frames have come along way and the welding of frames has changed as well you dont need giant globs, giant glob welds actually made the frames weaker in the welds because a lot more heat was being put into it. look at lairds welds solid example of what should be done.


in the 90's i raced NBL. rode dirt and street.

|

1996 dyno slammer, 1997 mosh pro, 1998 gt vertigo, 2000 haro backtrail x3, 2004 free agent tigercat, 2005 volume dinosaur, 2005 s&m black bike, 2013 stolen saint 24", 2015 flybikes proton

1/17/2017 1:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2017 1:15 AM

JonnyGanja wrote:

this made my brain hurt.


modern frames are stronger.

frames with lower seattube height and stand over are inherently ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

Do you know what mid school is? Seat tubes were the same height they are now, so I guess you don't know what your talking ...more

JonnyGanja wrote:

"Do you know what mid school is?"


haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha bruh im not some teenager.

frames ...more

So your saying bad welds aren't good? OK thanks buddy. Good to know.
Bad welds can exist in 2017, and most frames back then were made by real people, like Laird frames. Now they are made by robots. People pay more for human welds, so what's your point? You haven't proved me wrong.
Bruh? Haha me either.

|

1/17/2017 1:25 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

Do you know what mid school is? Seat tubes were the same height they are now, so I guess you don't know what your talking ...more

JonnyGanja wrote:

"Do you know what mid school is?"


haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha bruh im not some teenager.

frames ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

So your saying bad welds aren't good? OK thanks buddy. Good to know.
Bad welds can exist in 2017, and most frames back then ...more

All frames are hand welded. Even the cheap Walmart crap.

A lot of rider owned companies started in the mid era, and even then most were made in Taiwan. The manufacture of frames in Taiwan has vastly improved since then. Not just bmx, but throughout the whole of the cycle industry. The whole reason frames became over built around the middle of the mid era was because people were snapping them all the time. The over built frames didn't snap as easily as the wafty frames, but didn't snap any less than modern frames. Because the design of frames has changed, the materials are better, and the welds are better. If I'm wrong, why aren't frames over built now? And why don't people still use mid school frames as daily rides?

|

1/17/2017 1:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2017 1:58 AM

JonnyGanja wrote:

"Do you know what mid school is?"


haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha bruh im not some teenager.

frames ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

So your saying bad welds aren't good? OK thanks buddy. Good to know.
Bad welds can exist in 2017, and most frames back then ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

All frames are hand welded. Even the cheap Walmart crap.

A lot of rider owned companies started in the mid era, and even then ...more

The same reason they don't ride triple walls I would assume. Doesn't mean they aren't stronger. People do seem to be riding heavier bikes. Once something becomes "cool" people will do it again.

|

1/17/2017 2:11 AM

Photo
Anyway. Back to topic, this is why I bought a pair of felon rims. I don't see the point of them being tubeless compatible. But they're made out of a different material from other rims which they claim is stronger (arguable), and I really like the idea of the spoke holes being drilled at an angle so it supports the nipple better. I'm not that heavy on wheels, so don't need the best on the market, and these were half the price of odyssey or g sport
|

1/17/2017 3:08 AM

ggallin422 wrote:

So your saying bad welds aren't good? OK thanks buddy. Good to know.
Bad welds can exist in 2017, and most frames back then ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

All frames are hand welded. Even the cheap Walmart crap.

A lot of rider owned companies started in the mid era, and even then ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

The same reason they don't ride triple walls I would assume. Doesn't mean they aren't stronger. People do seem to be riding ...more

My point is, triple walls aren't necessary. They may be stronger, but they're a lot heavier too. You can get a rim that's strong enough but half the weight now. so why would you want a rim that weighs twice as much, and isn't that much stronger for you to notice? That's what I'd call unnecessary weight. Buy a decent rim, build it properly, look after it, and it'll last just as long

|

1/17/2017 7:15 AM

Bikes were a lot more solid back then. Period! The reason things changed like most everything else is that everyone wanted to go lighter and lighter. Bikes were overbuilt back then and they were for a reason. The only thing that's better today is the geo on bikes which yes is a lot better than what we had back then. So much easier nowadays to pick up a bike and learn things a lot quicker. Manuals are easier with shorter back ends and the head tube angles are a lot better as well! Mid school stuff was meant to be thrashed and boy did we thrash those bikes! I never destroyed my old triple walls or cracked frames ever!

|

1/17/2017 7:42 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

All frames are hand welded. Even the cheap Walmart crap.

A lot of rider owned companies started in the mid era, and even then ...more

ggallin422 wrote:

The same reason they don't ride triple walls I would assume. Doesn't mean they aren't stronger. People do seem to be riding ...more

grumpySteve wrote:

My point is, triple walls aren't necessary. They may be stronger, but they're a lot heavier too. You can get a rim that's ...more

I agree 100 percent. That's what I've been saying myself. Rims are strong enough, and frames are strong enough. We found that sweet spot between stregnth, and weight. I didn't know those felons where so light. That might be my next front rim, so I can get rid of this stupid pyramide rim.

|

1/17/2017 9:20 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

All frames are hand welded. Even the cheap Walmart crap.

A lot of rider owned companies started in the mid era, and even then ...more

Speak for yourself haha, I use a midschool bike for dirt.

|