Best complete BMX under $500 (2018)

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2018 11:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 11:43 AM

This same thread was posted in 2009 and again in 2014. I think it's time for an updated list.

What are your top 3 to 5 choices for the best complete BMX in 2017/2018? There are so many solid options. I'm 6 feet tall and just got back into riding last weekend after about 14 years. I'm riding mostly park, but some street and dirt in the summer.

Been looking at the Fit Mac and Fit Long, but I know there are many other good options out there. Thanks.

|

1/17/2018 12:03 PM

Eastern Shovelhead, everything you need in a bike, full chromoly frame fork and bars, sealed hubs, bottom bracket, and headset. 48 spline cranks, double wall rims front and rear... best bike out there and all that for $400... don't buy any other complete... this is like the king of completes for the $400 range...

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

1/17/2018 12:20 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Eastern Shovelhead, everything you need in a bike, full chromoly frame fork and bars, sealed hubs, bottom bracket, and headset. 48 spline cranks, double wall rims front and rear... best bike out there and all that for $400... don't buy any other complete... this is like the king of completes for the $400 range...

Yeah, you know I agree. It also the cranks are heat treated. But, it must be noted that the $399 delivered price is for the 2017's which I'm sure is in limited supply & is only available in black right now. If you want the 2018, it's currently available for $460 delivered. That year is available in the black and the trans gold, plus it has some other changes (from 2017), such as a slightly higher rise bar (9"), gearing has gone up from 25/9 to 28/9, it has a CNC'd stem rather than the raw forged, 100psi tires over the 60psi, the new Eastern Facet Pedals from the Odyssey twisted, & chainstays got a little longer (about 1/8").

|

1/17/2018 12:39 PM

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah, you know I agree. It also the cranks are heat treated. But, it must be noted that the $399 delivered price is for the 2017's which I'm sure is in limited supply & is only available in black right now. If you want the 2018, it's currently available for $460 delivered. That year is available in the black and the trans gold, plus it has some other changes (from 2017), such as a slightly higher rise bar (9"), gearing has gone up from 25/9 to 28/9, it has a CNC'd stem rather than the raw forged, 100psi tires over the 60psi, the new Eastern Facet Pedals from the Odyssey twisted, & chainstays got a little longer (about 1/8").

Yep than definatly go with the 2018 Eastern Shovelhead then, it sounds alot better for $60 more...

|

1/17/2018 12:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 1:01 PM

1. Sunday EX 2018 - $500 - Sunday Quality, these guys make literally the strongest frame in BMX, the bike comes with brakes but you have to install them yourself, the frame has a wave DT as well, the same DTs that their signature soundwave frames use, rear hub uses a female axle, which might be a deal breaker with some.

2. Haro SD AM 2018 - $500 - This is on tie with the Sunday EX, because it's pretty much the same except the rear hub uses a male axle, however, it's a free coaster which is personally a preference thing. I'd go with the Sunday EX because I don't like the feel of a freecoaster because I've done it with cassette for so long, but it's personal preference.

3. Fit Mac 2018 - $480 - It's a Fit bike, which is basically the same thing to S&M that Sunday is to Odyssey. Comes with everything you need on a bike, it's made in America too, cause S&M/Fit. I looked and saw that you were looking at this bike. I'd probably go with this one if you are looking for quality and want male axles and no freecoaster (both things I like in a bike)

4. Eastern Shovelhead 2018 - $460 - Has everything you need on a complete to start out with.

5. Kink Whip 2018 - $420 - This is literally bare bones save for brakes. Everything is chromoly, only luxury is a double wall rear rim, front is single rim (some people go single wall in the front intentionally anyways for saving weight since it's needed in the rear more due to more weight being put in the rear most of the time, like rear wheel tricks, landing, etc.

BONUS

6. Mongoose Legion L100 - $300 - Ok, I know Mongoose pretty much a bunch of bullshit nowadays but this one isn't half bad. It comes with pretty much everything you could ask for on a bmx bike: Frame, Forks, and Handlebars are 100% 4130 chromoly, Bottom bracket is 19mm mid sealed bearing (not to be confused with a sealed bottom bracket), Headset is integrated, has a pivotal seat post, Rims are double wall, Front hub is female axle, 3 piece tubular chromoly 175mm, and a top load stem. I'd still tread lightly because it's a mongoose, and the mongoose quality of then is not the quality of now. But if this stuff is true then this is a good budget bike to ride on, and 4130 chromoly is 4130 chromoly.

All the bikes in this list have rear U brakes. Some come installed, some don't. None have gyros.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

1/17/2018 1:19 PM

Damn, that was fast. Thanks everyone. Hope to hear from more people as well.

I ride brakeless, pegless, and probably I prefer a cassette (I've never ridden a freecoaster, but I think I'd take issue with the extra pedal slack and the lack of backward pedal motion on fakies -- it's something I've grown accustomed to on rollouts).

My current bike is an Eastern (unknown model, see pic) that I bought on Craigslist in 2012 for $140. I rode if for two days then got tendonitis in my left wrist (12 years of guitar playing with terrible posture) and didn't ride the bike again until last weekend. The wheels are junk, and when I realized I'd be looking at close to $400 for a new set of tires and wheels, I decided I'll probably just get a new ride altogether.Photo

|

1/17/2018 1:25 PM

arewolfe wrote:

Damn, that was fast. Thanks everyone. Hope to hear from more people as well.

I ride brakeless, pegless, and probably I prefer a cassette (I've never ridden a freecoaster, but I think I'd take issue with the extra pedal slack and the lack of backward pedal motion on fakies -- it's something I've grown accustomed to on rollouts).

My current bike is an Eastern (unknown model, see pic) that I bought on Craigslist in 2012 for $140. I rode if for two days then got tendonitis in my left wrist (12 years of guitar playing with terrible posture) and didn't ride the bike again until last weekend. The wheels are junk, and when I realized I'd be looking at close to $400 for a new set of tires and wheels, I decided I'll probably just get a new ride altogether.Photo

Yep. Go with the 2018 Eastern Shovelhead, probably the best bike you can get for that price...

|

1/17/2018 1:51 PM

HavokDJ wrote:

1. Sunday EX 2018 - $500 - Sunday Quality, these guys make literally the strongest frame in BMX, the bike comes with brakes but you have to install them yourself, the frame has a wave DT as well, the same DTs that their signature soundwave frames use, rear hub uses a female axle, which might be a deal breaker with some.

2. Haro SD AM 2018 - $500 - This is on tie with the Sunday EX, because it's pretty much the same except the rear hub uses a male axle, however, it's a free coaster which is personally a preference thing. I'd go with the Sunday EX because I don't like the feel of a freecoaster because I've done it with cassette for so long, but it's personal preference.

3. Fit Mac 2018 - $480 - It's a Fit bike, which is basically the same thing to S&M that Sunday is to Odyssey. Comes with everything you need on a bike, it's made in America too, cause S&M/Fit. I looked and saw that you were looking at this bike. I'd probably go with this one if you are looking for quality and want male axles and no freecoaster (both things I like in a bike)

4. Eastern Shovelhead 2018 - $460 - Has everything you need on a complete to start out with.

5. Kink Whip 2018 - $420 - This is literally bare bones save for brakes. Everything is chromoly, only luxury is a double wall rear rim, front is single rim (some people go single wall in the front intentionally anyways for saving weight since it's needed in the rear more due to more weight being put in the rear most of the time, like rear wheel tricks, landing, etc.

BONUS

6. Mongoose Legion L100 - $300 - Ok, I know Mongoose pretty much a bunch of bullshit nowadays but this one isn't half bad. It comes with pretty much everything you could ask for on a bmx bike: Frame, Forks, and Handlebars are 100% 4130 chromoly, Bottom bracket is 19mm mid sealed bearing (not to be confused with a sealed bottom bracket), Headset is integrated, has a pivotal seat post, Rims are double wall, Front hub is female axle, 3 piece tubular chromoly 175mm, and a top load stem. I'd still tread lightly because it's a mongoose, and the mongoose quality of then is not the quality of now. But if this stuff is true then this is a good budget bike to ride on, and 4130 chromoly is 4130 chromoly.

All the bikes in this list have rear U brakes. Some come installed, some don't. None have gyros.

fit mac is good but not made in the USA, im not aware of any American made complete.
all of S&M's parts are USA made but only some of fits parts are.

|

Hmmm

1/17/2018 2:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 2:24 PM

Yeah... Any one of the bikes listed here are great bikes... Even the Mongoose is really impressive for the money (there are people here in the forum that managed to get one for as low as $180 on sale!). The one thing I've noticed about the Fit completes is that on the ones at the $399 price point, they have single wall rims. I have also seen single wall fronts w/ double wall rears on their pricier models. The Eastern shovelhead is a great bike (I have the 17 in trans gold). At least one vital member has the kink whip & is really impressed with it. At that $400 price point, I'd say the Kink Whip Eastern Shovelhead, and the Hoffman Bama are all about the same but with differing geometries. You'd do well with any of those. If you want tho spend the extra money, I'm sure the Sunday, Fit Mac, & Haro would serve you well. IMHO, I don't think they are worth the extra money but to each their own.

Lastly, have you looked at the used stuff on cl or here in the forum? You'd be surprised what you could find... both bike-wise and parts-wise). I recently got a complete FIT PK3 with freecoaster for $140 on CL. The wheels alone are worth that. So, if you were happy with your bike but need new wheels, maybe that's an option you could look at.

|

1/17/2018 2:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 2:42 PM

OR.... If your other parts (bars, cranks, etc... Are alright, why not build up a custom? There's a 21" tt Mothership available here. That's a kickass frame & dirt cheap! Grab that, & a "build kit" from Able's or just some wheels & your old parts.

|

1/17/2018 4:04 PM

Fit Morgan Long complete is $480.

|

1/17/2018 7:14 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

OR.... If your other parts (bars, cranks, etc... Are alright, why not build up a custom? There's a 21" tt Mothership available here. That's a kickass frame & dirt cheap! Grab that, & a "build kit" from Able's or just some wheels & your old parts.

That sounds super interesting. Thanks.

|

1/17/2018 8:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2018 8:07 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Yeah... Any one of the bikes listed here are great bikes... Even the Mongoose is really impressive for the money (there are people here in the forum that managed to get one for as low as $180 on sale!). The one thing I've noticed about the Fit completes is that on the ones at the $399 price point, they have single wall rims. I have also seen single wall fronts w/ double wall rears on their pricier models. The Eastern shovelhead is a great bike (I have the 17 in trans gold). At least one vital member has the kink whip & is really impressed with it. At that $400 price point, I'd say the Kink Whip Eastern Shovelhead, and the Hoffman Bama are all about the same but with differing geometries. You'd do well with any of those. If you want tho spend the extra money, I'm sure the Sunday, Fit Mac, & Haro would serve you well. IMHO, I don't think they are worth the extra money but to each their own.

Lastly, have you looked at the used stuff on cl or here in the forum? You'd be surprised what you could find... both bike-wise and parts-wise). I recently got a complete FIT PK3 with freecoaster for $140 on CL. The wheels alone are worth that. So, if you were happy with your bike but need new wheels, maybe that's an option you could look at.

Cool, thanks man. I've looked on CL in my area (New Hampshire), not a ton out there. I come from the world of downhill mountain biking where new stuff is usually $4,000 to $10k and decent used rigs are $2,500. So $400 to 500 for a new BMX feels like spare change -- excited about that.

There is a nice United parts kit on acebmx for $499... toying with that idea.

|

1/17/2018 8:10 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I got my brand new 2018 in burgandy for 170usd shipped... wink

|

1/17/2018 8:43 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

arewolfe wrote:

Cool, thanks man. I've looked on CL in my area (New Hampshire), not a ton out there. I come from the world of downhill mountain biking where new stuff is usually $4,000 to $10k and decent used rigs are $2,500. So $400 to 500 for a new BMX feels like spare change -- excited about that.

Albe's has a Stolen fiction kit with a freecoaster wheels for $399.

|

1/17/2018 10:54 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 1:48 AM

Mishinn, thanks for listing all the differences between the '17 and '18 Shovelheads. I didn't realize that there were so many little changes, but sure looks like they're worth the extra $60.....
Now back to this topic. How about adding 2 more Kinks to this list? The Liberty for $450 and the Downside for $500. Just a few dollars above their already sick Whip! It looks like both added a frame gusset, double wall front wheel, and a 510 chain. Also, female front axle and freecoaster on the Downside. I love all 3 of the Kink frame colors too! Can y'all check and compare the specs more? I'm pulling the trigger before this month’s sales end so I can finally join my son on his L100 smile

Whip https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2018/whip/
Liberty https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2018/liberty/
Downside https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2018/downside/
Shovelhead http://www.easternbikes.com/shovelhead-2018

|

1/18/2018 5:58 AM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

Mishinn, thanks for listing all the differences between the '17 and '18 Shovelheads. I didn't realize that there were so many little changes, but sure looks like they're worth the extra $60.....
Now back to this topic. How about adding 2 more Kinks to this list? The Liberty for $450 and the Downside for $500. Just a few dollars above their already sick Whip! It looks like both added a frame gusset, double wall front wheel, and a 510 chain. Also, female front axle and freecoaster on the Downside. I love all 3 of the Kink frame colors too! Can y'all check and compare the specs more? I'm pulling the trigger before this month’s sales end so I can finally join my son on his L100 smile

Whip https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2018/whip/
Liberty https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2018/liberty/
Downside https://www.kinkbmx.com/bikes/2018/downside/
Shovelhead http://www.easternbikes.com/shovelhead-2018

Well, let's see....

For the Kink lineup you want compared, all have 25/9 gearing.
Kink Whip -
410 chain
Single wall front rim
20.5"tt/ 75*ht/ 13.25"cs/ 71*st
Does not state "1-piece steerer"

Kink Liberty -
Double wall rims ft/rr
510 chain
Removable brake mounts (not sure if that means Whip does not have it since Whip does not list)
20.85"tt/75.5*/ 13.25"cs/ 71*st
1-piece steerer

Kink Downside:
Freecoaster
double wall rims ft/rr
1-piece steerer
Removable brake mounts
20.75"tt/ 75.5*ht/ 13.25"cs/ 71*st

2018 Eastern Shovelhead:
Female front hub
100psi tires
28/9 gearing
Forged & CNC'd topload stem
Heat Treated Chromoly cranks
Removable brake mounts
Double wall rims ft/rr
20.85"tt/ 13.38"cs

That's all I can discern from the limited info in the adverts. I tried to list pros & any glaring cons, if any.

|

1/18/2018 7:17 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

arewolfe wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

Saw that -- great price. I'm going for a cassette only because I've never ridden a freecoaster.

|

1/18/2018 7:19 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 7:21 AM

arewolfe wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

arewolfe wrote:

Saw that -- great price. I'm going for a cassette only because I've never ridden a freecoaster.

I can't remember where I saw it.... Dan's Comp, maybe? Anyway, I did see a cassette kit that was in that same ballpark.

I would think you might be able to call Albe's & ask them if they could substitute a cassette wheel for the coaster. They may even discount it because of the switch.

|

1/18/2018 7:39 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

arewolfe wrote:

Mishinn_Control wrote:

I can't remember where I saw it.... Dan's Comp, maybe? Anyway, I did see a cassette kit that was in that same ballpark.

I would think you might be able to call Albe's & ask them if they could substitute a cassette wheel for the coaster. They may even discount it because of the switch.

Cool, found it on Danscomp $499... Haro SD AM for $499

I didn't realize it had a freecoaster. I'm not 100% opposed to the idea of getting a setup with a coaster, just a little iffy about it since I've never ridden one.

|

1/18/2018 11:44 AM

Fit has a hell of a lot of completes that are full chromoly, and that are under $500. great completes from a great company

|

Ride hard or Ride home.
Pink N’ Pretty

Instagram
@tarsales

1/18/2018 11:47 AM

arewolfe wrote:

I didn't realize it had a freecoaster. I'm not 100% opposed to the idea of getting a setup with a coaster, just a little iffy about it since I've never ridden one.

I'm opposed to it because if you start pedaling while going backwards then your wheel stops. Not to mention that you have to maintain the thing way more often or it will actually break on you (you can get away with not maintaining a cassette for years). I really don't have enough time to tighten shit down and grease my hubs every time I finish a session. They don't make 48h freecoaster hubs anyways.

|

Gave up on BMX to hang out with 13 year old soundcloud rappers, what a life, such a cool guy!
-Sheldon on Adam22

"The only future for BMX"

Yeah, kids getting shit bikes, breaking them and then quitting. LOL
-jbales on mafiaBIKES

I’ve been a 14 year old beginner for the last ten years
-adamnmexican

1/18/2018 11:53 AM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

arewolfe wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

I'm opposed to it because if you start pedaling while going backwards then your wheel stops. Not to mention that you have to maintain the thing way more often or it will actually break on you (you can get away with not maintaining a cassette for years). I really don't have enough time to tighten shit down and grease my hubs every time I finish a session. They don't make 48h freecoaster hubs anyways.

Why would he want a 48 hole freecoaster? The standard is 36 hole.

|

1/18/2018 12:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/18/2018 12:09 PM

Mishinn_Control wrote:

arewolfe wrote:

HavokDJ wrote:

A cassette wheel will also stop if you start pedalling in a fakie...

You only need to pop it open and change out the grease every 3-4 months. I've actually seen them run for years without maintenance, they just run like shit the whole time.

There's nothing extra to tighten down, just check the bolts every now and then, same as you would do with a cassette.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

1/18/2018 7:58 PM

I see the Sunday EX has Lighting single wall rims. Also, is it full 4130 Chromoly? I didn’t get a response from Sunday, but on their website it shows:

-Frame: 20.75" Cromo Integrated HT, Wave DT, TT, CS, DO
-Fork: 20", Full Cromo 2pc Steerer

I’m not sure how important a 1pc steerer is, but I do want full 4130 throughout and double wall rims for sure.

|

1/19/2018 6:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/19/2018 6:04 AM

STREETFIGHTER50 wrote:

I see the Sunday EX has Lighting single wall rims. Also, is it full 4130 Chromoly? I didn’t get a response from Sunday, but on their website it shows:

-Frame: 20.75" Cromo Integrated HT, Wave DT, TT, CS, DO
-Fork: 20", Full Cromo 2pc Steerer

I’m not sure how important a 1pc steerer is, but I do want full 4130 throughout and double wall rims for sure.

Good call. I was wondering the same thing & found this:

Photo

SO, seat stays BB & Seat tube is NOT Chromoly.

|

1/19/2018 1:53 PM

So basically the rear tubing could be hi-tensile sad Well the single wall rims was already a deal breaker for me considering the price range. So, not being full 4130 makes it even more so

|

1/20/2018 12:23 PM

What do y’all think of the ‘18 Stranger Crux? Can be had for $500 & change at the moment. How’s it compare to this list?
https://strangerco.com/collections/bikes/products/crux-bike

|

1/21/2018 7:01 AM

Visually it's looks dope. I noticed potential-buyer questions on the page that haven't been answered (maybe you posted them -- good questions, the answers to which I'd want to know too):

-Is it full 4130 Chromoly throughout on the frame, forks, and bars?
-Do the forks have a 1-piece or 2-piece steerer?
-Are the cranks arms heat treated?

|

1/21/2018 8:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/21/2018 8:42 AM

The stranger IS full Chromoly frame, fork, and bars. In doubt the cranks are heat-treated. Only because that is typically yet another selling point & why would you NOT use that to your advantage of it were the case? The one piece steerer is also questionable for the same reasons. This is not to say that they couldn't be, just that those two areas are probably areas that they would save money on. Assuming the last two (cranks & fork) are not heat treated & one piece steerer, respectively, why spend the extra money. There are several better completes for $399-$500. Eastern Shovelhead, Hoffman Bama, kink whip, to name a few.... All for about $399. The Eastern shovelhead, for instance, has 100% Chromoly frame, fork, bars, & has heat treated 48-spline, 3-piece Chromoly cranks. I can't speak to a 1-piece steerer or not on the Eastern, but to be honest, we are discussing buying the best street worthy complete for $500. At that price... 1.) Having everything you want (full chromo, heat treated cranks, 1-piece steerer, best parts, etc) is highly unlikely.. Especially in the top name brands. 2.) It's very likely you don't need a top of the line complete or custom at this stage of your riding development (correct me if I'm wrong). & 3.) The bikes I listed, as well as the stranger above will serve you well. These completes are not designed to be top off the line. They are designed to be rugged. To give you the best value for a street worthy bike that'll serve your needs. You would, no doubt be upgrading these bikes as you went along. 4.) If you find a bike that ticks off most everything I the buyer's guide & you like it, buy it & get riding. Just choose based on the best bike, that fits as many of the criteria as possible for your price range, and PLEASE, try not to be lured by a name brand. Yeah, it's great that you have can Subrosa, a Fit, a Sunday... But it'll be just as much a POS as the next if it's hi tens, has single wall rims, has unsealed hubs, etc...; educate yourself on what's best (regardless of brand) & buy based on your needs and what you've learned.

|