Best frame and stem for street

Related:
Create New Tag

9/25/2017 8:52 PM

I’m looking to buy a new stem but don’t know which one to get. I normally ride top load but I’m open to either. I ride a buck frame now but want something better or at least that rides better. Any referrals to either of them?

|

9/25/2017 10:41 PM

There's a whole realm of parts, and a whole lot more riders. Honestly, everyone's likely gonna recommend what they ride, so I suggest looking for what geometry you'd like.

If you've got the Buck frame, look at its geometry and measurements, then compare it to something else. Same for the stem.

I must say, though, that the Sunday Freeze stem, which is pretty much half the price of mainstream stems, is super dialed. Comes in topload and frontload. I can give it a 10/10 if you're always on a budget like me, haha.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike. Instagram: @scootereyn // YouTube: RH MEDIA

9/26/2017 1:07 AM

It depends entirely on what geometry you want. And what your budget is. The fit benny L is good if you can find one

|

9/26/2017 4:04 AM

Standard trail boss frame

|

9/26/2017 5:14 AM

Joe Breslin wrote:

I’m looking to buy a new stem but don’t know which one to get. I normally ride top load but I’m open to either. I ride a buck frame now but want something better or at least that rides better. Any referrals to either of them?

I got a Fit Forged (Benny Lewis Signature) stem for $15 in black and I only rode it for about 2 months....

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/26/2017 6:36 AM

Joe Breslin wrote:

HondaCRFRacer wrote:

I got a Fit Forged (Benny Lewis Signature) stem for $15 in black and I only rode it for about 2 months....

You should include a pic.

|

9/26/2017 6:44 AM

|

I don't crash, I do random gravity checks...

9/26/2017 7:42 AM

readybmxer wrote:

There's a whole realm of parts, and a whole lot more riders. Honestly, everyone's likely gonna recommend what they ride, so I suggest looking for what geometry you'd like.

If you've got the Buck frame, look at its geometry and measurements, then compare it to something else. Same for the stem.

I must say, though, that the Sunday Freeze stem, which is pretty much half the price of mainstream stems, is super dialed. Comes in topload and frontload. I can give it a 10/10 if you're always on a budget like me, haha.

I’m probably going to go with the freeze stem but I did see that the stranger haze stem was like $10 more and still in a good price range. Any word on that being better?

|

9/26/2017 7:45 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2017 7:45 AM

pretty much all stems and frames are made in the same factory in china so the quality will all be about the same. I'd recommend an american frame and stem. Profile and S&M/FBM/Standard/Lairdframe etc

|

fack off

9/26/2017 7:50 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

It depends entirely on what geometry you want. And what your budget is. The fit benny L is good if you can find one

I was thinking about the Benny L but the drops are too small for my liking. I kinda want to search to get a BTM or a volume vessel frame.

|

9/26/2017 1:59 PM

Odyssey makes great stems. Cult also has some American made stems I believe. Profile is always good too. I like 48-50mm some prefer something longer, some even go shorter, but I wouldn't recommend shorter than 48mm. Something like 48-52mm should be fine. The shorter will be more responsive.

|

9/26/2017 2:06 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

Joe Breslin wrote:

I was thinking about the Benny L but the drops are too small for my liking. I kinda want to search to get a BTM or a volume vessel frame.

S&m, and volume are both good companies. S&m/fit are usa made, so is fbm. I like the fbm gypsy personally. Cult makes some good stuff too, and has good warranty. Those are brands I've ridden, and companies that I'd like to support. Any aftermarket frame will hold up just as well as the next, so it just comes down to what team you like best, and warranty.

|

9/26/2017 3:57 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

how much does geometry matter? Im new to this and dont wanna spend money on something i wont like.

|

9/26/2017 4:17 PM

iChaney wrote:

how much does geometry matter? Im new to this and dont wanna spend money on something i wont like.

Geometry is something you won't notice initially but after a while of changing parts, you'll figure out that certain things make certain types of tricks easier and make your bike ride nicer for longer.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

9/26/2017 4:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/26/2017 4:21 PM

Midget Cory is starting a company called gypsy bikes and selling a 4130 chromoly Taiwanese street and a trail geo frame for 150$ brand new, apparently same manufacturer that makes the fiend frames , should look up midgetcory on Instagram and give him a look into

|

9/28/2017 2:33 AM

If you go forged instead of CNC, then due to the grain structure not being machined into, they can be stronger.

|

NEW Bike check
That InstaGram ting - @EddiMundo
Raw Clips Edit

KriB Life YouTube channel (Click on the pic!)

9/28/2017 4:17 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Midget Cory is starting a company called gypsy bikes and selling a 4130 chromoly Taiwanese street and a trail geo frame for 150$ brand new, apparently same manufacturer that makes the fiend frames , should look up midgetcory on Instagram and give him a look into

They aren't Taiwanese, they're Chinese. The guy also makes knock off stuff. I wouldn't trust it. I got a quote from him a while ago

|

9/28/2017 4:18 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

iChaney wrote:

p1p1092 wrote:

Geometry is something you won't notice initially but after a while of changing parts, you'll figure out that certain things make certain types of tricks easier and make your bike ride nicer for longer.

This. But, ultimately geometry is the most important thing once you know more about how you want your bike to feel

|

9/28/2017 4:39 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

iChaney wrote:

It's best to start somewhere in the middle, and don't go too extreme either way. Like 75° head tube, and 13.5 back end.

|

9/28/2017 4:48 AM

grumpySteve wrote:

iChaney wrote:

ggallin422 wrote:

It's best to start somewhere in the middle, and don't go too extreme either way. Like 75° head tube, and 13.5 back end.

Yeah this, start with something pretty middle of the road. Different geometry suits different people. But changing things won't automatically make things easier. Like a steeper headangle won't make you be better at nose manuals etc

|

9/28/2017 10:59 AM

eskimojay wrote:

Standard trail boss frame

Late to the party but this was my favorite frame. Great geo's for a midschool frame. Took a beating like no other.

|

9/28/2017 11:07 AM

eskimojay wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

They aren't Taiwanese, they're Chinese. The guy also makes knock off stuff. I wouldn't trust it. I got a quote from him a while ago

They must be decent if Shaun butler is getting off an s&m to ride one

|

9/28/2017 12:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/28/2017 1:00 PM

eskimojay wrote:

grumpySteve wrote:

eskimojay wrote:

They must be decent if Shaun butler is getting off an s&m to ride one

Or maybe it's just because it's free parts and free self promotion. Nothing against butler at all, but even midget Corey has only had his first frame for a couple of months. And let's face it, neither of them send it like they used to...... I know the cost price of those frames, and that alone puts me off. The tubes on a US made frame cost more.....

|

9/29/2017 3:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/29/2017 3:07 PM

grumpySteve wrote:

iChaney wrote:

A nice 17" chainstay for good pop, a 80° head tube for stability while grinding, 19.999 top tube, handle bars angle forward, and some odyssey directors.

The perfect street setup...

In all honesty Like grump was saying, the geometry doesnt make things that much easier. Just a little, based on your style. I had a friend that could hop higher than me and his chainstay felt like it was off a racing bmx; lets cut it short, he could nearly do everything better than me besides a 180 g-turn. My bike is way different than his, when he hopped on mine he couldnt do anything as good as when he was on his bike. He was still better than me but the geometry that worked best for him is just what he got used to.

Now on the flipside, the example I gave in the begining would be horrible if it existed, so there is a point (clearly) where geometry can hurt your performance significantly.

Like others have said, Id recommend getting middle of the road geo until you find what you like and dislike about it.

|