Best tires for rough street riding?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/11/2021 10:49 AM

Hey all,I'm currently in the market for some new tires,I was wondering if anyone would have recommendations for a tough and light street tire,I was looking at the eclat mirage 2.45s but I'm still not 100% certain,I tried the cult vans but I find them a little heavy compared to my cinema Williams,kinda like a lighter tire but I'm starting to wonder if there truly is a light and tough street tire out there..any info or suggestions are welcome
Thanks in advance

|

5/11/2021 11:14 AM

Demolition Machete

|

5/11/2021 11:29 AM

I’m riding the mirage in 2.4
I like them much better than the kink sever tires which weigh a ton and make a bike feel like a fat tire cruiser

|

5/11/2021 11:34 AM

dirtbomb74 wrote:

I like them much better than the kink sever tires which weigh a ton and make a bike feel like a ...more

How's durability all in all on em?I like the look and see that Dillon Lloyd and Dan Kruk among others run em,I'm guessing they'll hold up but ya never know,better to ask questions before dumping 110$ CAD on em😅

|

5/11/2021 1:38 PM

Ive been running odyssey broc tires
Feel pretty good and there durable for me.

|

Husky Nation Member

5/11/2021 2:03 PM

ACBMX wrote:

Demolition Machete

Also Hammerheads but the Trail version not the Street, ironically.

|

I get big airs off small things

5/11/2021 2:05 PM

ACBMX wrote:

Demolition Machete

crispyoldcraig wrote:

Yeah their parts are built to last tbh. I was very surprised with how light the Machete were. Not tried any more, but will deffo give more a go.

|

5/11/2021 2:43 PM

I was actually disappointed with the Mirage 2.45...mainly because the inflated width is far from 2.45...more like 2.25.

The Federal Command LP tires have been really tough, grippy, look good, light, and fat.

|

5/11/2021 3:00 PM

ACBMX wrote:

Demolition Machete

crispyoldcraig wrote:

Can confirm. I have the trail version in 2.4 (which inflates to 2.55”, fucking huge). Wish I had the 2.25 in the front cuz it rubs on my forks (r32’s) when I pump it up past 50 psi sadly.

Besides that I like em. Not crazy heavy for how big they are which is nice

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

5/11/2021 3:02 PM

Deharts are decent all around tires. Phantoms are super thin but somehow last forever

|

smile

5/11/2021 3:51 PM

Anyone have experience with Merritt Options?

|

5/11/2021 4:05 PM

vagabond wrote:

My homie has a blue set that he’s been using on and off for about a year, they’ve held up decently but the color gets super crusty

|

smile

5/11/2021 4:41 PM

audz_bmx wrote:

Hey all,I'm currently in the market for some new tires,I was wondering if anyone would have recommendations for a tough and ...more

I'm running the BSD Donnastreet tires in 2.4. They're pretty good and have like 110 max psi. Speed is easy to get and the grip and durability is everything you'll need for street(they also have like grind friendly sidewall which every street tire should have anyway). My friend runs the Meritt Phantom tires in 2.5 and those are also decent for the price

|

5/11/2021 4:48 PM

audz_bmx wrote:

Hey all,I'm currently in the market for some new tires,I was wondering if anyone would have recommendations for a tough and ...more

imyahuckleberry75 wrote:

I'm running the BSD Donnastreet tires in 2.4. They're pretty good and have like 110 max psi. Speed is easy to get and the grip ...more

Noted,the donnastreets and eclat morrows were also on my list of tires to check out,phantoms look cool too I just don't want flats 24/7 cause they're too thin ya know haha

|

5/11/2021 5:07 PM

vagabond wrote:

i tried it, they go very good for grinding and street riding

|

5/11/2021 5:16 PM

vagabond wrote:

PastaIsLitty wrote:

My homie has a blue set that he’s been using on and off for about a year, they’ve held up decently but the color gets super ...more

I’m interested in trying them out. Maybe after I’m thru the Commands I’ll give em a go

|

5/11/2021 6:32 PM

dirtbomb74 wrote:

I like them much better than the kink sever tires which weigh a ton and make a bike feel like a ...more

audz_bmx wrote:

How's durability all in all on em?I like the look and see that Dillon Lloyd and Dan Kruk among others run em,I'm guessing ...more

They are only two months old and still like new

|

5/11/2021 7:39 PM

Animal glh. I've never had them, but they're notorious for being pretty indestructible. They might make your bike weigh twice as much though

|

5/11/2021 9:30 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Animal glh. I've never had them, but they're notorious for being pretty indestructible. They might make your bike weigh twice ...more

That's always the thing..durability and light weight(to an extent,I'm not a weight weenie lol)rarely go together😅

|

5/12/2021 12:13 AM

I've been on odyssey path pro low psi for months. Durable, pretty light, grippy as hell. Just sayin'

|

5/12/2021 12:59 AM

Merritt Options. I grind haggard ass ledges & the slidewall stays in tact.

|

5/12/2021 4:08 AM

ACBMX wrote:

Demolition Machete

crispyoldcraig wrote:

They are apparently bringing back tan wall Momentums.

I am so pumped.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2021 4:40 AM

I don’t ride particularly hard or have been through many different sets of tires, but I do grind a lot including lots of tire grinds on ledges/curbs. The set of Odyssey Aitkens I had held up well, including the set of Fit FAF tires I’m currently running. I’ve run Animal GLH tires and those were great in terms of durability, but they are relatively heavy. I was a bit disappointed in the BSD Donnasqueaks I had as I wore through some spots of the sidewalls fairly quickly, but they had excellent grip and look cool (not that them looking cool makes them any better, but a plus I suppose). I’ve also run Demolition Machetes and Momentums and I can’t say I really cared for them - the sidewalls were fairly thin in comparison to the other tires I’ve mentioned. I admittedly like the look of the Odyssey Aitkens and Fit FAFs for having more of a “trail” look to them, but I’ve found them great for all-around use. I’m considering a set of Fly Fuego tires for my next set as they come in 2.3 and have sidewalls designed for grinding/general abuse - maybe consider those as well.

Hope this is useful!

|

REPS
JakeSalbert, Stephan.yupthatsme, bmxrider4lyfe, cb4130, mactive818, Broughton, Dream, Kymike (x2), Sam.cooper1291, louie101202, nshs2010, hatebreeder, justin vogelsberger, Xlilkillaluc15x, Four, Blakebmx92, Brian_Griffin, Element4all, HardBMX_Tim, HondaCRFRacer, thedevilwearsnike, cky199 (x2), A08 (x2), blizzbikes, JørgenHub, sactobmxer, Sobriety&Bmx

5/12/2021 4:51 AM

Oh, from experience I rate fit faf 2.25. been using them pretty much exclusively for years now. Only one puncture and one pinch flat, and I do a lot of bump jumps. The 2.25 has a deeper tread than the other widths, and inflates to about 2.3. the 2.3 is actually narrower when inflated

|

5/12/2021 5:12 AM

sunday street sweepers lasted me awhile, they didn't even fail, the grip just got bad which caused some sliding out over time

animal glh's is what i have now, they grip really good but the side walls had tiny tears in them fairly quickly

sunday currents is what i have on deck, if they are the same rubber as street sweepers, then the grip on them look to be better....but i don't believe either sunday option is considered "light"

|

5/12/2021 5:44 AM

younggotti wrote:

sunday street sweepers lasted me awhile, they didn't even fail, the grip just got bad which caused some sliding out over time
...more

Back in the day I ran GLH's and couldn't kill them until I started doing sliders and skids everywhere.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

5/12/2021 6:12 AM

younggotti wrote:

...more

dave lawrence wrote:

Back in the day I ran GLH's and couldn't kill them until I started doing sliders and skids everywhere.

thats kind of why i got them, i heard they were basically indestructible...the tears haven't gotten bigger but i was kind of surprised when i saw the tears, it could have been from a bad ledge or something but not sure

i put them on in august of last year and noticed the tears in october, so only a few months makes me think i won't be going back to them anytime soon if i can find something else i may have better results with

|

5/12/2021 6:29 AM

You need to get GLH's but if you're going to be a bitch about weight then try FlyBikes tires because they are all made with a special puncture resistant kevlar layer inside which prevents flats from glass and shit. It really does work. I rode a set for 4 months in NYC and didn't get one single puncture flat, which is unheard of around these parts.The Fuego tires also have the same layer but on the sidewalls as well for grinds, while staying light.

|

5/12/2021 6:53 AM

.pegless. wrote:

Oh, from experience I rate fit faf 2.25. been using them pretty much exclusively for years now. Only one puncture and one ...more

+1 for the faf 2.25. I rode a set for a good while and I can't say anything bad about them.

|

5/12/2021 3:16 PM

.pegless. wrote:

Oh, from experience I rate fit faf 2.25. been using them pretty much exclusively for years now. Only one puncture and one ...more

I can attest to the inflated width - I've the 2.25s myself. +1

|

REPS
JakeSalbert, Stephan.yupthatsme, bmxrider4lyfe, cb4130, mactive818, Broughton, Dream, Kymike (x2), Sam.cooper1291, louie101202, nshs2010, hatebreeder, justin vogelsberger, Xlilkillaluc15x, Four, Blakebmx92, Brian_Griffin, Element4all, HardBMX_Tim, HondaCRFRacer, thedevilwearsnike, cky199 (x2), A08 (x2), blizzbikes, JørgenHub, sactobmxer, Sobriety&Bmx