Best way to raise handlebar height..

Related:
Create New Tag

8/8/2013 9:03 AM

Ok, so I know I've been asking alot of questions lately, but here goes:

I've always felt a little big for my stock wethepeple zodiac (I'm 6 foot with long friggen legs and arms). I just got back into bmx not too long ago, so I know the more I ride, the more comfortable I'll feel... but I feel like I've hit a snag.

My setup consist of a salt+ top load, and 8.5 bars, stock forks (salt+) which I am unsure of how long the steerer tube is. No spacers at all were installed on the stock setup.

I pushed the bars forward a couple mm forward from parallel with the forks, and it feels better, but still a tad low. Yesterday I picked up a 5mm spacer and threw that in, but now the steerer tube sits too low in the stem. I mean, I got it on, but there's only a couple threads holding it in, so I'm not sure how safe that is. I probably will take it back out tonight. It does feel much better to ride though! So I think I've got to do one of two things...

New bars, or new forks with a longer steerer tube so I can run more spacers. Which way is the easier way to go? Or... Is there something else I can do that might be cheaper? I recently posted a question about gyro's, and I think I may not have room for that to work properly either...

|

8/8/2013 9:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/8/2013 9:13 AM

you have a few options.
1. taller bars
2. new forks, which will allow more spacers
3. new stem with high rise. such as sunday freeze, demolition monarch i believe, fit high top, madera mast

If you cant fit a 5mm spacer then you aint gonna fit a gyro plate so new forks may be the smart move

|

I'm on the vital legit list!

8/8/2013 10:28 AM

Ya since you want to run a gyro i would just by new forks and then you can put the gyro plate and one or 2 more spacers and see if that rises them up enough for you. If they still feel extremely low then you should probable get bigger bars but if they feel just a little bit to low then just get a stem with a taller rise I'm getting the Fit High-Top

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

8/8/2013 11:16 AM

Chicago your bars out or get taller ones

|

8/8/2013 11:28 AM

flip your stem, it doesn't add much but it does! aha

|

sponsored by: Banz Grind Wax

BIKE CHECK

8/8/2013 11:36 AM

misfitcartel wrote:

this, i don't understand why people get TL stems for more rise when you can get more rise out of a FL by flipping it

|

MIDWEST MOTHER FUCKER

Bike Check
Bought from Tomdon, and ScramHype

misfitcartel wrote:

He has a Topload, so flipping it will make it lower.

|

misfitcartel wrote:

Its a topload flipping it will lower the bars.

|

Instagram

Refs:tomdon x4,Xxohioanxx,BigCurn, Don't remember the rest

8/8/2013 11:40 AM

misfitcartel wrote:

BMX_Forever wrote:

He has a Topload, so flipping it will make it lower.

my bad i guess i didnt read the full description

|

sponsored by: Banz Grind Wax

BIKE CHECK

8/8/2013 1:40 PM

Get a Fit High Top Stem, that thing pushes your bars up nearly an Inch & a Half!! Doesn't look too bad either like some of the other Super High Rise Stems on the market.

|

8/8/2013 2:29 PM

Topsey wrote:

Get a Fit High Top Stem, that thing pushes your bars up nearly an Inch & a Half!! Doesn't look too bad either like some of ...more

Or get the Sunday freeze, its half the price and 1mm less of rise. Im sure it will be fine for you. Cheapest option would be a new stem or bars, forks will run you more.

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.

8/8/2013 2:33 PM

misfitcartel wrote:

jj0996 wrote:

this, i don't understand why people get TL stems for more rise when you can get more rise out of a FL by flipping it

Wrong!! There are more topload stems on the market which will give more rise then flipping a front load, not to mention, it will also look nicer as well(in my opinion).

|

REFS-

Vital- KyMike, FEDEXdoobie, adrenalinebmx ,MaximusBikes
Bmx-forum-Tumitama, archerbiker9(2x), mrsanchezz, nguyenna, JoeyBones, fast-and-loose and many others
Also multiple sales on global-flat.com and PinkBike. Theres to many to list all. Most sales are done through texting I havent been able to keep track of who is who.