Best way to remove light surface rust?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/24/2021 6:07 PM

Stripped the paint off this project frame I’m working on and it looks like the last guy who had it painted over some very light rust spots. I’m using wd40 and a “0000” steel wool because I don’t want to cause abrasions. Unfortunately it’s getting me nowhere! Should I try a heavier steel wool? Photo

|

My mom thinks I’m special

5/24/2021 6:12 PM

Sure, some heavier steel wool, or a wire brush on a Dremel or drill...

|

5/24/2021 6:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/24/2021 6:43 PM

Soak it in diesel fuel , at least that’s what my mechanic buddy tells me works well for rust

|

5/24/2021 7:47 PM

A wire wheel. Used it to strip the factory coat of paint and rust from my frame and it worked great!

|

Pegless and coaster is ultimate zen

5/24/2021 7:48 PM

Also, just curious, but what frame is that? I notice a wishbone chainstay so I automatically like it for that reason alone

|

5/24/2021 9:32 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

Also, just curious, but what frame is that? I notice a wishbone chainstay so I automatically like it for that reason alone

It’s an old Sunday bike frame, work in progress for cruising!

|

5/24/2021 10:06 PM

DanTheBikerMan wrote:

IndianaTom wrote:

It’s an old Sunday bike frame, work in progress for cruising!

AH rad! Looking forward to the complete build

|

5/24/2021 10:22 PM

Wire wheel. But use a small dremmel wheel, not an angle grinder wire wheel.

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

5/24/2021 11:24 PM

Ian/second wave frame?

|

5/25/2021 2:50 AM

Scotchbrite and WD40. Start with the finest one. If that's not working, change to a rougher one. When you're done, work your way down from the roughest one you used to the finest.

|

My Sunday Soundwave V3 Build
Insta: @p.gibbons

"You can't educate pork"
- grumpySteve

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!""
- Hunter S. Thompson

5/25/2021 4:23 AM

readybmxer wrote:

Wire wheel. But use a small dremmel wheel, not an angle grinder wire wheel.

I've got one that goes into a drill and it takes the copper off my Radio like it is nothing. Also leaves zero trace.

It's rad.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/10/2021 6:46 AM

THIS WORKS AMAZING ON RUSTING CHROME!!!! grab a handful of TINFOIL and get it wet with water. then easily scrub rust away !!!

|

6/10/2021 1:36 PM

jordanbmxbmx wrote:

THIS WORKS AMAZING ON RUSTING CHROME!!!! grab a handful of TINFOIL and get it wet with water. then easily scrub rust away !!!

Seriously works? I’m still trying to find the right # steel wool for these micro dots of rust on various parts of the frame, I’m tired of buying steel wool and not getting the results. You only see them close up. I also don’t have a drill, so all work is by hand.

|

6/14/2021 7:20 AM

$7 dremel from harbor freight. just be light on it or youll blow the motor very quickly

|

wallride a bus everyday