Better engagement???

Related:
Create New Tag

7/23/2014 7:16 PM

Hey guys so I switched from a primo mix to a demolition rouge hub and for the demolition rouge the engagement is pretty sucky when compared to the primo mix.... I like everything else about the hub exept for the engagement.. So my question is is there any way to make my hub(demolition rouge) have any better engagement??? Cause it kinda feels a little like a free coaster.. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm curious tho

|

7/23/2014 7:19 PM

Well both hubs have 4 pawls, so I'm guessing the ratchet ring might be different in the rogue, making for less points of engagement.

or it has to do with the shitty single wraparound spring in the demolition hub, the mix has individually sprung springs but I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it so my guess is the ratchet ring has less grooves.

|

7/23/2014 7:23 PM

Should have kept your Mix... But theres not really any way to increase the engagement unless you have access to a CNC and have a good amount of knowledge with machining. If you do though, you can cut into the ratchet ring and cut a new seat into every tooth, deepen all the seats a bit, and make longer pawls that will reach up into the new, lower profile seats a little better. Thats a shit ton of work though.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/23/2014 7:29 PM

I couldn't really kept my mix cause it was pretty beat up and broken... Like axle all striped and bearings were blown out... I was thinking if I add another spring would it be a little bit better???

|

7/23/2014 7:32 PM

rideforfun123 wrote:

I couldn't really kept my mix cause it was pretty beat up and broken... Like axle all striped and bearings were blown out... I ...more

I dont believe you can double spring a c-clip. Even if you could, it would only make it less susceptible to skipping and would make it louder. Theres no logical way to improve engagement unless you know what youre doing and have the proper equipment to do so.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

7/23/2014 7:38 PM

rideforfun123 wrote:

I couldn't really kept my mix cause it was pretty beat up and broken... Like axle all striped and bearings were blown out... I ...more

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I dont believe you can double spring a c-clip. Even if you could, it would only make it less susceptible to skipping and would ...more

you can double a c-clip, I've done it before and all it does is makes your hub louder and driver seem tighter since the pawls won't retract as easily.

won't do anything for engagement though

|

7/23/2014 7:55 PM

Pull it apart and jizz in it.

No but seriously, if it's shit it's shit. Just because it has one spring or has individual springs does not mean the engagement will be better or worse. It just depends on the hub. For example, my Tree hub (3 pawl, single spring) doesn't engage as quickly as a Mix (4 pawl, 4 spring), but feels MUCH more solid. But my Hoffman hub (4 pawl, single spring) engaged about as fast as the Tree but felt much weaker and sloppier.

On topic though, there's no real way to improve the engagement unless you feel like machining it for more pawls and springs.

|

YOU AVIN A LAUGH M8?
┬┴┬┴┤ ( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
The Trailest Bike On Vital

7/23/2014 8:45 PM

you dun fucked up...
pretty much nothing you can do but trade/sell it

|

refs: hookjrclc, hardbmxtim, hatchmoses for sale and trade, kymike for sale and trade, blizzbikes for trade, and some other dude i cant remember his username, vrsapat956, colonydirt94, mario.villegas90, wolfen
Camera Setup: Panasonic HMC150, Panasonic GH2, Canon FTBn, Yashica Lynx 5000e, Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Rokinon 7.5mm f/3.5

7/23/2014 8:55 PM

get a 6paw 6 spring that engages faster than 2 horny rabbits fucking

|

7/24/2014 8:59 AM

Pebbles take up the slack.

|

7/25/2014 12:42 PM

The ONLY way they would honestly feel different is if the ratchet ring was different, allowing more points of engagement. A 4 pawl system will ALWAYS have the pawls essentially across from each other. So the ratchet ring is the only option. The Primo might have had a bigger setup internally, allowing for more spacing, and more points in the ratchet ring. But as far as it goes, that would be the ONLY way to differentiate between them when it comes to 4 pawl systems.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura