Big Bars???

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2013 3:06 PM

Ok I have to ask, why do people ride huge wide bars like 30" and hold them on the bends or close too?
Seems to me that much bar is just in the way if your not actually making use of it......

I have asked kids at the park and never really get an answer other than "my friend has Perfect 10's and said they were sick so I got some" or "cuz they are sick" or the best one "cuz I cant ride with smaller bars"

|

9/20/2013 3:11 PM

Idk I've never seen anyone who holds them by the bend haha. I'm getting FBM US Apes in 9 inch rise and a fit high top I don't think I need to go all the way up to perfect 10's. Perfect 10's seem to becoming a trend among the few of us at my school that ride. All of the sudden like 4 people are saying there gonna get perfect 10's when there like the same height as me(I'm 5'9)

|

"It's not a scooter, it's a bike." - Van Homan
My Fit

9/20/2013 3:20 PM

I ride 29x8.125 and I'm 6'1". Eventually I want to get a FL stem and get 8.5x28.5s

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/20/2013 3:22 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 3:24 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

I ride 29x8.125 and I'm 6'1". Eventually I want to get a FL stem and get 8.5x28.5s

That doesn't hurt your back after a while?

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 3:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2013 3:25 PM

I hold my bars about and inch and a half from the bend, the only reason I can see having bigger bars for someone like me is if I were to go Matt Hoffman and air as high as I can and if my hands slip I have more to grab.

Also just a question, I'm 5/4 and have 8.65 rise bars, the Stolen Tall Boys. Is that too high? I like them because they make me stay more upright which is better for your back but they look ridiculous, comfy as shit though tongue

|

bicycle more like bikecycle

9/20/2013 3:27 PM

tainted1581 wrote:

I hold my bars about and inch and a half from the bend, the only reason I can see having bigger bars for someone like me is if I were to go Matt Hoffman and air as high as I can and if my hands slip I have more to grab.

Also just a question, I'm 5/4 and have 8.65 rise bars, the Stolen Tall Boys. Is that too high? I like them because they make me stay more upright which is better for your back but they look ridiculous, comfy as shit though tongue

It's whatever you like running. If you feel comfortable go for it. I'm 5'9" and getting 9 inch with a tl stem but tim is 6'1" and rides 8.125 with a fl stem so whatever works for you.

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 3:27 PM

Why would it hurt my back lol the 29 feels legit, though I wish I had something like 28.75 and I want just a tad bit more rise than what I have with a TL and 8.125.

|

Refs : SnM An1mal, GThompson121, Chuck8273, blizzbikes, bmxsteve99, kevin.brock.338, zinum, Brian_Griffin, billyhandyjunior, riverM, tomdon
Instagram : @timhankinsbmx

9/20/2013 3:29 PM

You could cut your bars but I guess there's no point if your gonna get bigger bars.

|

My Fit

9/20/2013 3:33 PM

i dont hold my bars at the bends cause my first grips had flanges and id constantly get calluses and shit from them rubbing against the side of my thumb and index finger. I got a pair of perfect 10s when i traded my stock frame with my friend. I love em so much more than my stock bars, so much bike contro;l compared to the 8.1x28 or so stock bars. I might get a smaller pair, maybe 8.5 or 8.7 plus my top load stem. im 6'3ish so its okay ahaha

|

Honestly? Who gives a shit. Its the fucking internet. I hate all of you equally.
-HardBMX_Tim

9/20/2013 8:09 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Yo if those are glams, trade me bars! I hate big bars.

|

9/20/2013 8:21 PM

HardBMX_Tim wrote:

Why would it hurt my back lol the 29 feels legit, though I wish I had something like 28.75 and I want just a tad bit more rise than what I have with a TL and 8.125.

i am 6 foot and had 8s and a topload and having to bend over hurt. like it put my back in a bad position... but now i run 8.5 and a fl flipped and its perfect.. though before long im getting new bars and might get 8.75s and flip my fl back over...

|

Deviant BMX store
Shirts and Iphone cases available soon! Check site for details!

9/20/2013 8:47 PM

anything over 29 is too wide and anything under 28 is too small. i really like 28.5 width. if were talking height i really like my 8.85's on a challenger.

|

Blair & Jasmin | Stella | Roxanna | Arianna v2 | Instagram: @Blakeyardigan

Ref's- TCbmx, Eatmybutt, Tito24, Trentydoo, Night Light, Ninjacat33, fly for life, Showtime402, \BMX-1995/, Pavmio, Bmx-Junkie, Dream, Ticaleb, Ricked_Em

9/21/2013 9:47 AM

i ride P10's with a profile push and like 3 spacers. I Literally cant ride another bike without feeling weird. And i have them at 30" still. But i dont bar or x up with em. I i did id cut em down to 28.25.

|

9/21/2013 11:54 AM

I get the height part, my back is messed up and I find taller bars more comfortable as well. Its the width part, if your actually making use of the whole width of the bar and its comfortable for you then it makes sense, its just the ones that hold close to the bends and have 2 or more inches of bar on either end sticking out. I would think that would make a lot of things a bit of a challenge if it involves turning or spinning bars at all.
I find 28-28.5 comfortable but anything over starts to get uncomfortable and I feel it in my hands and wrists.

|

9/21/2013 12:06 PM

My freind who is like 5'3" was riding three inch by 28 inch from off his racing bike and had to see a chiropractor after awhile.

|