Big guy help

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2016 7:13 PM

I'm 6'2 340 lbs. I have been wanting to start riding a bike again to help lose weight. I prefer a bmx style bike to a mountain bike or something else. Would a 20 inch wheel support me? I have looked at some 24 inch bikes and there just aren't many. I just don't want to buy something and have it snap or pop the first time I ride it

|

9/8/2016 7:45 PM

Having been as big as you at one time, (6' 350lbs) I think that it might be a better idea to get a 26" MTB, unless you want to get into trickery right away. Not because of the issue of the frame or the wheels snapping, but due to the idea of finding the correct balance. When I wanted to start losing weight (about 10 years ago) I had my old BMX from the 80's and a more current 26" Trek Mountain Track 830 MTB from the 90's. It was easier to manipulate the MTB for getting back into riding. I could ride my BMX, but it was not fun given my gut and the width of my legs when I was bigger...I felt squished onto the bike. I now hover between 180 and 200 lbs, and enjoy riding both styles.

I am asking just cause if you are going to be using the bike to get active I suggest the MTB for the first stages of getting back into riding. If you are just going to go on longer, straight, paved trail type rides etc (without trickery) the MTB will be a better investment at first. You can even look for one with geometry like a BMX (shorter chain stay) steeper HT angle. I rode the Trek until I got down closer to 200lbs, and then the BMX was much easier to ride. Recently, I bought my self a Surly Krampus 29+MTB because it is set up like a big BMX bike....fully rigid (no shocks), all Chromo frame, Short chainstay and relatively steep (for a MTB ) heat tube angle. This might be a good thin to look into, but they are not cheap.

Regardless, what you will want in a BMX is a full chromoly frame (the WHOLE frame not just the front triangle); full Chromoly fork; double walled rims; sealed bearings in the hubs and bottom bracket; full Chromoly pedal axels...the strength of the skeletal structure is the most important thing, rather than the wheel size, no matter what your weight is.

I am not familiar with 24" bikes, so others here might be able to chime in more on that. Riding is the MOST FUN way to lose weight...as well as eating right, so get on it! It helped me lose all my weight, and got me out of a 5 year depression! Welcome to it!!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

9/8/2016 7:59 PM

Thanks man. That really helps

|

9/8/2016 8:15 PM

No problem. I remember getting motivated to get back out on my bike after remembering how much fun, and how much biking was a main part of my life, as a kid. Then, when I started riding, little goals that I was meeting kept me going. I am now getting back into some of the tricks that I used to be able to do, which is super motivating.

I started relearning tricks on the MTB because it was easier to do when I was still bigger. I started on the paved trails around town, and eventually got into riding MTB trails (which pushed my physicality and built strength) and then, as it got more comfortable to ride my BMX, I started riding parks. I am nowhere near most of the guys on this site, but I can do things now tha tI never ever thought I would try.

Keep asking questions. Do some research before you go out and buy. You will get great info here with a side of sarcasm and smart-assery sometimes, but it is usually meant in good fun!

Check out companies like Verde, Kink, Sunday, WeThePeople, FitBike, Stolen,....look at complete bikes (pre-built) first. it will be the best to start with a complete, rather than a custom build...unless you have the money to burn...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus

9/8/2016 9:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2016 9:54 PM

A solid mix between a BMX and mountain bike is a hardtail dirt jump bike. They come in 24" and 26" sizes. This bike here belongs to Sam Pilgrim. He's doing tons of tricks just like BMX bikes, and something like this (or a regular MTB, as sXe said) might possibly be more comfortable with larger, less twitchy tires beneath you.

The difference between this bike compared to a MTB is the single-speed gearing, as well as minor things here and there. I entered the biking world on one of these and they were a blast! Wish I'd kept mine.

Of course, if BMX is what you still want, which is awesome, I agree with everything said above.

Photo

|

Scooter kid trying to ride a bike.
@scootereyn

9/9/2016 5:11 AM

yeah. I didn't even think of that ^^^^ Thanks Reyn! This is a great suggestion!

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
2015 Surly Krampus