Big guys riding not so big bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

6/5/2016 2:38 PM

Okay so I have been told numerous times that "dude you're way too tall for your bike" and every time I always tell them that the bike feels fine and that my only problem is the handlebars are too short. I have made a post before about me wanting to get 10" rise bars. Anyways here's the dimensions and my height (bike-20.5" TT, 8.5" bars, 6" tall and like 150 pounds) what do you think, any opinions matter, Thanks!

|

6/5/2016 3:18 PM

Macalin wrote:

Okay so I have been told numerous times that "dude you're way too tall for your bike" and every time I always tell them that the bike feels fine and that my only problem is the handlebars are too short. I have made a post before about me wanting to get 10" rise bars. Anyways here's the dimensions and my height (bike-20.5" TT, 8.5" bars, 6" tall and like 150 pounds) what do you think, any opinions matter, Thanks!

Ideally you'd be riding a 21" or longer frame, with larger bars.

If it's working for you now then it's no big deal, if you are able to upgrade though, it does make sense.

|

Chris

www.bmxtransition.com
Canadian BMX Mailorder
Instagram: @transitionbmx

6/5/2016 4:09 PM

Macalin wrote:

10" bars 4 life.

|

6/5/2016 7:09 PM

Macalin wrote:

I am the same height, but weight closer to 200. I ride a 20.5 TT and 9" bars and feel fine. I am getting a new bike here in a few weeks and it will be a 21"TT so we will see how that goes...

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/5/2016 7:17 PM

Macalin wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

I am the same height, but weight closer to 200. I ride a 20.5 TT and 9" bars and feel fine. I am getting a new bike here in a few weeks and it will be a 21"TT so we will see how that goes...

Deffinately interested on how you feel on that bike when you get it and ride

|

6/6/2016 3:16 AM

21" tt, maybe 21.25 or 21.5 depending on riding style. 9" bars should be plenty big enough for anyone, unless all you do is ride foot high ledges at 0mph

|

6/6/2016 6:59 AM

Macalin wrote:

21 inch frame and 9 inch bars, problem solved

|

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
I'm Mr. Meeseeks, Looks at me!

6/6/2016 8:26 AM

Macalin wrote:

I don't know, everybody seems to think that since you are tall you need a longer frame. As long as YOU are comfortable that is all that matters. I ride a really small snowboard that everybody warned me not to get because I was going to feel cramped or something but I love it and will never ride a bigger board, I like the feeling of being ale to fling your bike around really easily. Bottom line s ride what you like, even if everybody tells you it is too small.

|

6/6/2016 12:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/6/2016 2:16 PM

Macalin wrote:

If you're 6" tall, you are WAY too small for that bike. Do you ride a finger bike? tongue

But in all seriousness, I rode a 20.5 until probably 2010 or so at six feet tall, it was fine but when I went to a 21 it felt SO MUCH BETTER. Now I have a 20.75 and it is decent, but I would like it to be a tad taller standover (my frame has a 7.5).

If a homie has a longer frame, ask to ride his bike for a bit and see what it feels like.

|

"Hey anybody ever make that mistake like right when you wake up in the morning and you believe in yourself?" -Kyle Kinane

"BIKES!" -Tom Segura

6/6/2016 12:20 PM

Thanks a ton for the replies!! Charlie Crumlish has a really big frame made by s&m and I'm really interested, I guess my next frame will have to be bigger so why the heck not.

|

6/6/2016 6:52 PM

Macalin wrote:

sXeBMXer wrote:

Macalin wrote:

Deffinately interested on how you feel on that bike when you get it and ride

yeah...i have a feeling it is going to make me relearn some things, but will also allow me to do some things more comfortably...I feel like it will be easier to balance manuals for sure...and will probably help me get better height (via cleaner technique) on jumps...it will be a Verde Luxe btw

|

I've Got sXe!!!
Up The Antix/Up The Punx
1988 Mongoose Caifornian Pro
2015 Surly Krampus

"Running Is dumb" - Dave Lawrence

6/6/2016 8:49 PM

Macalin wrote:

Im 6'3", about 220. Ive always been too tall, and goofy looking on a BMX bike. Just ride whatever feels good, and send them goofy pictures of you with their gf out at the dirt jumps lol. I just got a 21" TT bike, and it feels good for me.

|

6/6/2016 11:23 PM

I'm 6'3"(34" inseam) and hit my knees on my bars sometimes, so I Chicago a little.

|